2021 Recruiting Hub

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Would not be surprised at all to see the date get pushed back again if things continue trending like they are in some parts of the country.  .  The NCAA has to factor in the situations for all member schools.  While it is reasonable to think there is little risk for Archie, Painter, Mack, etc. to recruit locally, it would likely be irresponsible for coaches in Texas, Florida, Arizona and California to be knocking on doors.  

Not sure I agree on the last part. Maybe packed stadiums/gyms are risky......but coaches visiting players and player families in a controlled environment? Keep extending the dates for some of these things is getting a bit easy. Might just have to assume this virus is part of our lives and we take precautions in dealing with it. 

• Like 1

Archie has a strong roster. With exception of TJD...we expect everyone else back (minus graduates) for coming 2 seasons including Lander. With our staff firmly in control of things I'm asking this. Would it be received wrong by recruits if Archie said hey 2021 gang....we need to know by 8/15 or we obviously have to start looking elsewhere too. While we want you to join us we don't want to be left without a chair. Especially given the times. I know 8/15 is early in most years but this isn't most years. Just curious what others thought if that was the approach we took. 

I for one would applaud it. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Archie has a strong roster. With exception of TJD...we expect everyone else back (minus graduates) for coming 2 seasons including Lander. With our staff firmly in control of things I'm asking this. Would it be received wrong by recruits if Archie said hey 2021 gang....we need to know by 8/15 or we obviously have to start looking elsewhere too. While we want you to join us we don't want to be left without a chair. Especially given the times. I know 8/15 is early in most years but this isn't most years. Just curious what others thought if that was the approach we took. 

I for one would applaud it. 

I would say no, we are going to get at least Kaufman or Miller and probably Wesley or Mohammed. There roster is pretty set, so you take a risk and go for the home run player. They also sit in a good place with all four of the players I listed. 

Edited by btroesch14

32 minutes ago, btroesch14 said:

I would say no, we are going to get at least Kaufman or Miller and probably Wesley or Mohammed. There roster is pretty set, so you take a risk and go for the home run player. They also sit in a good place with all four of the players I listed. 

Maybe I read the tea leaves differently. Wesley is ND....not getting the vibe or tells on Mohammed. 1 of the first 2 you mentioned but getting both isn't likely. I know it's only 6/25 but anyone who plans ahead in the world has to start suggesting a timeline. If not you end up recruiting like Bruce Weber did.

23 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know all the intricacies of recruiting but to me this says there is no summer leagues, no time to get more noticed,etc.....you either go with the folks you've been recruited by for years or roll the dice come fall/winter and hope a spot is left. Just my two cents.

Heck there may not even be a high school season....much less an AAU season.

What also has to be taken into consideration is the new rule where the nba is taking essentially a one year practice squad... it’s hard to even determine who you should and shouldn’t recruit... normally Kentucky duke get the top ten guys but with a lot of them out of the picture they will be offering guys more in our range of recruitment.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 11:21 PM, hoosierfan34 said:

I might be wrong, but I don’t think so. If I remember correctly, he won’t even be 19 by next year’s draft. I think you have to be 19 AND one year removed from HS. 

I don’t think he will but he actually could go pro in 2021. By rule, you must turn 19 at any point during the calendar year of the draft.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also really don't look go for Underwood and UI can't get top ranked recruits from Illinois to look at them.

Here's the thing on Underwood/Illinois. For long term recruiting they really should want Ayo to go to pros, get drafted, and play. Every year that passes by without someone you can say hey Mr. Recruit we got so and so to the league....we can do the same for you. 

As fans of course they want Ayo back. And some will say if he comes back and delivers the lofty Illini fan hopes next year....that would help that much more in recruiting. Of course every other college coach will use that against them and say basically if you head to Illinois it looks like it takes 3-4 years to get to the league there. Really a catch 22. 

Still hearing that we will receive a commitment soon from an out of state player. Hearing that the hold up has been due to some of the other schools really wanted to get an official visit in the fall. People close to the recruit think its a good idea to visit all the schools on the list and some will be for the 2nd time and others think if you know you know. Starting to get a little of the Ketchup kid vibe but my guy is still confident in his thinking it will happen very soon. 

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Still hearing that we will receive a commitment soon from an out of state player. Hearing that the hold up has been due to some of the other schools really wanted to get an official visit in the fall. People close to the recruit think its a good idea to visit all the schools on the list and some will be for the 2nd time and others think if you know you know. Starting to get a little of the Ketchup kid vibe but my guy is still confident in his thinking it will happen very soon. 

My guess is aminu or Miller...??

1 minute ago, Coach Robby said:

My guess is aminu or Miller...??

Yes I think so. I was 100% sure he was talking about Miller but over the past week or so I was leaning back to AM but now I am not even sure. Maybe its both. We just need something to happen soon to spark interest in a positive way. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes I think so. I was 100% sure he was talking about Miller but over the past week or so I was leaning back to AM but now I am not even sure. Maybe its both. We just need something to happen soon to spark interest in a positive way. 

Do you have a guess for how soon? Either of those two would be great news!

And re: Kaufman, his HS coach is encouraging Trey to take his time and make the right decision. Visit some schools and just be sure of everything. Keep in mind, his HS coach is an IU fan. So he’s not trying to prevent TK from coming to IU. He’s trying to do right by the kid. That’s what good coaches do. 

Edited by hoosierfan34
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2