2021 Recruiting Hub

3 minutes ago, Threedom said:

I don’t have that answer and never really thought about this (now) obvious fact.  We have had a lot of difference makers leave, but I can only think of 1 coming to us....Marco killlingsworth.  Am I missing more?  Doubt it, but hopefully someone has some insight cause it’s an interesting question. 

Well I think Ziesloft and Beifeldt were good transfers

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Threedom said:

I don’t have that answer and never really thought about this (now) obvious fact.  We have had a lot of difference makers leave, but I can only think of 1 coming to us....Marco killlingsworth.  Am I missing more?  Doubt it, but hopefully someone has some insight cause it’s an interesting question. 

You missed a huge one, Max Bielefeldt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

Not D1 transfers but Keith Smart and Dean Garrett certainly weren't chopped liver.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/432769002

apparently already a discussion worthy of Indy star print!  Not talking about jucos.  Just seems the talent lost to D1 transfers over the decades is far greater than gained. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Threedom said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/432769002

apparently already a discussion worthy of Indy star print!  Not talking about jucos.  Just seems the talent lost to D1 transfers over the decades is far greater than gained. 

Didn't read the article but IU post to many big time players to transfers.  A lot of transfers is for kids wanting more playing time a lot of ours were unhappy players.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

It isn’t even so much we haven’t had a lot of big transfers in. Someone mentioned in a thread somewhere there were some institutional reasons for why we struggle to get many transfers. I’d love if that person would clarify for us or if someone knows. Or maybe I have misremembered.

The ony person I have seen talked about there is a guy from rivals who thinks he knows everything inside the program.  I have never seen anything concrete about it is harder to get transfers into IU.  We have had transfers in the past so I don't think there is anything out there that would prevent us getting transfers.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The ony person I have seen talked about there is a guy from rivals who thinks he knows everything inside the program.  I have never seen anything concrete about it is harder to get transfers into IU.  We have had transfers in the past so I don't think there is anything out there that would prevent us getting transfers.

It's grad transfers that can be a problem to get in based on the programs that IU offers from what I have heard in the past. Not regular transfers. 

• Thanks 1

I'm starting to not like IU's chances with this recruiting class moving forward. I know Lander is at IU but who knows if he'll be around after this year. I think he will but if he plays well who knows. I get that there will be a lot of transfers but if you're banking on that to fill out a recruiting class you could be in trouble. I don't put this all on CAM and the staff because things happen in recruiting but they need to find a player or two that they really lock in on and don't miss because of the last 3 guys that it was known were a priority CAM has missed on 2 of them and that can be fine if you recruit like UK but CAM hasn't done that. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I know Lander is at IU but who knows if he'll be around after this year. I think he will but if he plays well who knows. I get that there will be a lot of transfers but if you're banking on that to fill out a recruiting class you could be in trouble.

That's the thing...The possibility does exist that every player on the IU roster will be back for 21-22. Odds are against it, but they are all eligible to come back. If that would happen, it'd be difficult for any freshman to see the floor. Maybe some of the high profile guys looked at that possibility.

34 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

that can be fine if you recruit like UK

No thanks...I prefer the Virginia/Villanova model...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

That's the thing...The possibility does exist that every player on the IU roster will be back for 21-22. Odds are against it, but they are all eligible to come back. If that would happen, it'd be difficult for any freshman to see the floor. Maybe some of the high profile guys looked at that possibility.

I agree. Im not saying that IU should recruit like UK. I'm saying that if UK misses on a guy they find another. If IU misses on a guy right now they're in trouble becasue they haven't proven that they can make up ground in recruitments and win them so that's why it's a problem when they miss on the guys they lock in on as priorities. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I agree. Im not saying that IU should recruit like UK. I'm saying that if UK misses on a guy they find another. If IU misses on a guy right now they're in trouble becasue they haven't proven that they can make up ground in recruitments and win them so that's why it's a problem when they miss on the guys they lock in on as priorities. 

They definitely have the ability to swoop in late and nab highly touted players...Same with Duke, and to a lesser extent UNC. I'm not sure even Virginia and Villanova can do that, or at least I haven't heard of them doing it. 

I think for the present we just have to do what most teams have to do... be on a kid for a early, and develop the relationship. Of course winning always helps that...  

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Agree. I'm starting to think that some are looking around in 21 because they see our team/depth and maybe the immediate minutes just aren't there for some. You can't ever take a recruiting class off but I think a grad transfer addition or possibly an early entrant is the best way to finish 21 off if we don't add Miller or Aminu,etc....and load up on 22.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I'm starting to not like IU's chances with this recruiting class moving forward. I know Lander is at IU but who knows if he'll be around after this year. I think he will but if he plays well who knows. I get that there will be a lot of transfers but if you're banking on that to fill out a recruiting class you could be in trouble. I don't put this all on CAM and the staff because things happen in recruiting but they need to find a player or two that they really lock in on and don't miss because of the last 3 guys that it was known were a priority CAM has missed on 2 of them and that can be fine if you recruit like UK but CAM hasn't done that. 

That concern is building with me too.  I don't believe Lander will be a OAD for multiple reasons.  Also, I think Duncombe is going to be a very solid contributor.  After that, it feels like a couple of years ago when we were seemingly counting our chickens with KBJ, only to be left holding the (empty) bag.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

It isn’t even so much we haven’t had a lot of big transfers in. Someone mentioned in a thread somewhere there were some institutional reasons for why we struggle to get many transfers. I’d love if that person would clarify for us or if someone knows. Or maybe I have misremembered.

It has to do with admissions, but exactly what that is, I don't know.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

That possibility is there for almost every school except for the Dukes and UK's.

21 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

That possibility is there for almost every school except for the Dukes and UK's.

Very true...makes me wonder if at least in the early years of the NBA dropping the age requirement from 19 to 18 (and I'm not really sure where that's at...I thought it was going away in 2021) there won't be a logjam between high school entrants and 5th/6th year seniors not wanting to take advantage of the extra year of eligibility...

Edit: the initial proposal had the OAD rule gone by the 2022 draft. The 2021 draft is on November 18th of this year, so it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Romeo Langford....

36 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That's a one time example and a little different of a circumstance. 

In fairness there are quite a few. We've 'made up ground' on all kinds of recruits over the years, and Romeo was of course huge at the time. I think as fans we tend to get false or negative impressions because of the way we follow recruiting and regret the misses. 

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

That concern is building with me too.  I don't believe Lander will be a OAD for multiple reasons.  Also, I think Duncombe is going to be a very solid contributor.  After that, it feels like a couple of years ago when we were seemingly counting our chickens with KBJ, only to be left holding the (empty) bag.

I think Duncomb will prove to be a great recruit for us.  Especially in his case, ranking isn’t the critical thing, it’s more about supply in the economic sense.  There simply aren’t that many kids with his profile, and they are hard to find.  As a player, he is a big, no-nonsense, rugged, rough and tumble guy who will be physical, protect the paint, enforce, and be an interior scorer and rebounder.  

Luke Harangody is one of the all time recruiting misses IMO.  I think Duncomb can bring that type of game to IU.  Harangody was a consistent 20 and 10 guy, and it would be silly for me to put that expectation on Duncomb.  Stats are just stats and there are so many factors that go into stats, including what is around a player, who gets the opportunities with the ball, the type of offense, etc.  So stats aside, I think Duncomb can bring that type of kick butt attitude we need and that will mesh ideally with Archie’s mentality.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I’ve said this multiple times and I will continue to say it. I love CAM but I do put this on him. His strategy is to let the assistant coaches be the lead recruits and then he is the closer even when it’s on big time recruits. AM is a top 15 player and CAM didn’t even start building a relationship until recently. People ask how Howard is getting all of these recruits to commit and other coaches too and it’s all about the head coach establishing the relationship early.

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Romeo Langford....

Romeo was a unique case I feel. UL of course lost their coach and had all the scandals. UK really backed off Romeo after Cal coached him in Egypt and dealing with his dad. Kinda left us in the catbird seat to jump back in. It was great to land him but I wouldn’t say we can count on recruiting playing out like that too often.