2021 Recruiting Hub

18 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Please, if it's not too much trouble, could you name a couple of potential recruits who were listed as "shooters".  I don't follow recruiting closely and you seem to have knowledge that would be helpful.  Thanks!  😊

There are grad transfers and other transfers with immediate eligibility every year that could've filled the shooting void. It's not my job to know all the potential targets, it's the coaching staff's job. You're welcome to look up who all the transfers were before last season and how well they did shooting before the transfer, if you wish. There is probably a thread here somewhere that talks about that.

Miller got one the year before (Fitzner) who didn't really work out but I can't fault him for trying. It looked like he either didn't try last year or he completely whiffed on all of them.

3 hours ago, MaroonRebel said:

I would not think that Kentucky would be able to match Indiana in NIL money. Louisville is their major market for adds and they share it. Coal money from the coalfield area is drying up. I think a lot of money for NIL will come from regional markets. I bet the national markets will be fairly even for the big boys. Also Kentucky as a state has about half the population of Indiana. 

Ehh Duke and UK....they have a national audience. Their teams are full of nba talent...guys that will be selling sneakers and energy drinks in the future. You will be surprised at people that will want to access to them. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, that's not accurate. 

Going by 247 class rankings 

We had the 3, 3, 2, 6, 2

Purdue 13, 4, 9, 8, 5

Between 2016-2020. But yeah keep pretending we had less talent. 

From 2016 to 2019 they had 0 five Stars and only 2 four stars

We had 1 five star and 8 four star  

We didn’t lose those games because we were less talented  We lost those games because their 3 stars out worked our 4 stars  

Edited by Brass Cannon

22 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We had the 3, 3, 2, 6, 2

Purdue 13, 4, 9, 8, 5

We didn’t lose those games because we were less talented  We lost those games because their 3 stars out worked our 4 stars  

No, we lost those games because Painter had his systems in place, what with being a longer term established coach v CAM who was still having to incorporate players from the previous coaching regime.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

No, we lost those games because Painter had his systems in place, what with being a longer term established coach v CAM who was still having to incorporate players from the previous coaching regime.

Oh Lordy this tired excuse. Guess that’s why Illinois is still struggling eh. 

And if only there was some mechanism to reshape a roster quickly.  We did after all have 2 open scholarships last year. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And if only there was some mechanism to reshape a roster quickly.  We did after all have 2 open scholarships last year. 

You mean the Brad Underwood who is 47-49 in 3 years at UI.  Archie's record in those 3 years is 55-43.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You mean the Brad Underwood who is 47-49 in 3 years at UI.  Archie's record in those 3 years is 55-43.

His team is rolling now.  He sucked a few years to build something. Where as we are a middle of the pack team now.

Hes finished above .500 in conference at least 

Edited by Brass Cannon

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Umm, the last time Illinois made the tournament was 2013😂😂😂

Would rather not take the Crean approach and just take kids and hope they pan out. 

Quality over quantity, you know.

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

His team is rolling now.  He sucked a few years to build something. Where as we are a middle of the pack team now.

Well this year has not played out yet so just because they are picked to be high it does not mean they will.  Just like people think we will finish lower but I think we will be in the top 5

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yet UI finished 13-7 which was good for 4th place. That means the 2 years prior were even worse than Miller's first 2 so UI made quite an impressive jump which Miller hasn't been able to do. This is your defense?

BTW, in this thread you claimed that the difference between 4th and 10th last season was 3 games. It was actually 4.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, that's not accurate. 

Posted this in another thread, but somewhat related to the discussion here. It what is and we need to see continued improvement, but man.

Agree, but man that schedule including non-conference is TOUGH. Looking at the pre-season top 25 (AP and Coaches) we have 15 games of 27 against ranked teams (assuming we play Texas and UNC in the Maui). We have an additional 4 games against teams getting votes in Providence, Purdue (2) and Maryland. That is 19 of 27 extremely tough games. This doesn’t include Butler or road games at NEB or NWestern. Which leaves us with ONLY 5 games we can look at and saythat should definitely be a W (Tenn Tech, N Alabama, N-western at home, PSU at home and Minny at home). WOW! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Umm, the last time Illinois made the tournament was 2013😂😂😂

Would rather not take the Crean approach and just take kids and hope they pan out. 

Quality over quantity, you know.

Wait so Archie gets credit for making the tournament last year by Archie defenders. But Underwood doesn’t get the same benefit of the doubt. 

Seems odd. Almost like your biased. 

• Like 2

Wait so Archie gets credit for making the tournament last year by Archie defenders. But Underwood doesn’t get the same benefit of the doubt. 

Both gets credit for making the tournament last year but to state Underwood has been so much better is not accurate.  Well they were very fortunate that those two players came back.  I would bet both would have been gone if not for the pandemic.  I think they will finish 3rd or 4th this year in the big ten while I think we will finish 5th.  I would hope all IU fans would be a Archie defender because he is our coach and should be defended.  as long as Archie does it the right way I will support him because he is the coach of my team.

People with Crimson colored glasses keep saying that. Hasn’t panned out yet. We will see

Why are you so pessimistic? From a results standpoint it’s pretty hard to argue that we haven’t improved each year under CAM. From a recruiting, defensive, and effort standpoint it’s not even close to the previous 7-8 years with Crean, and that’s a direct result of CAM. Crean left an awful group of players from a talent standpoint. Hopefully with a team fully built by CAM this year we’ll see the offense improve as well which will result in more wins. He absolutely deserves the benefit of the doubt up to this point. You weren’t willing to give him a few years to build something? This year and next we need to start seeing better results, no doubt. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Umm... I didn’t give credit to anyone. Just stated a fact, which you seem to have a hard time acknowledging.

Seems odd. Almost like you’re biased.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We had the 3, 3, 2, 6, 2

Purdue 13, 4, 9, 8, 5

Such a simplistic view of the situation that lacks any/all context. 

I also didn't realize we were only comparing IU and Purdue, though we were also talking about Maryland, Iowa, MSU, Illinois, etc. 

3 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Why are you so pessimistic? From a results standpoint it’s pretty hard to argue that we haven’t improved each year under CAM. From a recruiting, defensive, and effort standpoint it’s not even close to the previous 7-8 years with Crean, and that’s a direct result of CAM. Crean left an awful group of players from a talent standpoint. Hopefully with a team fully built by CAM this year we’ll see the offense improve as well which will result in more wins. He absolutely deserves the benefit of the doubt up to this point. You weren’t willing to give him a few years to build something? This year and next we need to start seeing better results, no doubt. 

If he was a Villanova or UVA fan he would have been calling for Wright's or Bennet's head since they did not do well in their first 3 years.

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

Ehh Duke and UK....they have a national audience. Their teams are full of nba talent...guys that will be selling sneakers and energy drinks in the future. You will be surprised at people that will want to access to them. 

But that is not Kentucky per say that is generating the money. Those guys would garner that attention (no matter which school ) because of their rating and exposure before reaching Kentucky. They gained that exposure on the AAU Nike or adidas circuit. Major Universities will have people already set up to help them gain from their likeness. Each Major University will be able to say this shoe company will use your likeness. This is why I said the national market is a wash. Will the national market play a roll? Yes, but the separation between Kentucky and Indiana is not as great as some think. It may even help Indiana, because now we can use Adidas money that was before forbidden. Money many think Duke and Kentucky have been using behind the NCAA's back. Now every major program has excess. The top tier guys will make that money wherever they end up and Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas no longer have control of all the money.  Just my thoughts. Go Hoosiers!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

While I understand your points it’s not just about local market, heck I would say that’s small potatoes.  These players will make tons of cash off Instagram and Twitter posts.  The way IU has it setup with this company they literally see how much money they will make based on the media platform they post on which is based off followers and over social media score.  The UK players will make gobs of cash off things like this.

Yes, so will the Indiana players. I did not say they would not make national money, just that the national money will be a wash. Indiana may even gain ground because now they have Adidas money. However, not every player will make the same money and the second tier players will use the regional markets for a larger percentage of their take home. I believe the original poster made a comment that Duke and UK will have a huge advantage over IU in NIL. I was just saying I felt that IU would be fine, because the national money would be about even and we have a great regional market which Kentucky lacks. I am not trying to argue, just trying to explain myself better. Go Hoosiers!