2021 Recruiting Hub

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I simply said we are in danger of being shorthanded in the frontcourt next season.  

I agree. Knowing that bigs typically take more time to develop, we have Geronimo this year and Duncomb for next year. I have to assume they will not be ready to carry the load next year along with Race (assuming TJD and Brunk go). Rather not have Hunter having to play much up front if possible.  An experienced transfer big would be ideal. Still plenty of time for that to materialize. Then bring in another quality big for 2022. I think the Geronimo / Duncomb pair will be formidable in 3 years.  Could Lander still be around with Leal and Galloway? If so, that has the potential to be a nice looking lineup.

4 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

We are going to love Parker Stewart. On and off the court. I don't consider 2021 a flop at all. Lander is an early entry....he's young and will continue to grow this year. He will be a stud next year. Not to mention Logan Dumcomb is vastly underrated in my opinion. I'm also not convinced TJD is going to the draft. Others are convinced he is, but I'm not so sure.

Agreed, I think there are 4 areas we could improve/re-load on with this class and so far I think we did a great job with 3 of them:

versatile big man- Duncomb

Second primary ball handler-Lander

Perimeter scoring threat-Stewart

Stretch 4/hybrid big- ?

Missing out on Nnaji, Garcia, Kaufman and Miller definitely hurt that 4th area but there’s plenty of transfers this off season. I also know insiders have mentioned TJD is leaving but I’ve checked mock drafts and he’s always somewhere in the mid to very late 2nd round, so would he really leave if he’s that low of a draft pick? 

6 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Yeah. Said we lost out to Purdue on the best recruits.   Was the part about Phin, Romeo, TJD and Lander typed in Invisible font?

Kaufman and Furst are the best recruits in the state this year. IU lost them to Purdue and actually has 0 Indiana recruits this season. Lander was last year, TJD was the year before, and Romeo the year before that. The post being replied to said "since when?" Since this season with Kaufman and Furst is the answer to that. Not super complicated. Recognizing that Purdue did a better job of recruiting the state this year didn't diminish what IU did the previous 3 years but refusing to acknowledge it seems petty.

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Kaufman and Furst are the best recruits in the state this year. IU lost them to Purdue and actually has 0 Indiana recruits this season. Lander was last year, TJD was the year before, and Romeo the year before that. The post being replied to said "since when?" Since this season with Kaufman and Furst is the answer to that. Not super complicated. Recognizing that Purdue did a better job of recruiting the state this year didn't diminish what IU did the previous 3 years but refusing to acknowledge it seems petty.

Yeah, I think you’re missing the point. My comment was geared at that being awfully short-sighted. He said we are losing the best recruits in Indiana to Purdue. I guess we’re only looking at this year?

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Lander was the best recruit this year.  A 5* All American. And IU got him and got him in the program a year early.  

we all know if Lander did this at another school, people would be saying “IU missed out on Lander”.  

Everyone knows IU lost out on two guys this year, but they also got one early - the best one.  That has to be acknowledged. Because if they didn’t, it would be used against them. Not complicated.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

This year it's true.

To me I’ll take Duncomb 7 days a week over Furst. I think the only person worth recruiting in the 2021 class was Kaufman. Furst is big and scores points but that’s in high school. To me he is going to be overwhelmed and outmatched and not be that good in the big ten. So Purdue is up 1-0 on Indiana recruits this year only and as good as Kaufman is I might want an older grad transfer like Stewart compared to a freshman Kaufman. Stewart doesn’t come here if Kaufman is here IMO

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Lander was the best recruit this year.  A 5* All American. And IU got him and got him in the program a year early.  

we all know if Lander did this at another school, people would be saying “IU missed out on Lander”.  

Everyone knows IU lost out on two guys this year, but they also got one early - the best one.  That has to be acknowledged. Because if they didn’t, it would be used against them. Not complicated.  

29 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Is Lander from Indiana?

Lander is from Indiana but reclassified to 2020. At that point he was no longer a 2021 recruit, otherwise he'd still be in HS instead of playing for IU this year. That's how reclassifying works.

True or false: IU has one HS senior committed to play for IU next year.

True or false: That player is not Lander and is also not from Indiana.

True or false: IU has 0 current Indiana seniors committed to play for IU next year.

True or false: Purdue has commitments from Kaufman and Furst.

True or false: Kaufman and Furst are the highest ranked current Indiana HS seniors.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Lander is from Indiana but reclassified to 2020. At that point he was no longer a 2021 recruit, otherwise he'd still be in HS instead of playing for IU this year. That's how reclassifying works.

True or false: IU has 0 current Indiana seniors committed to play for IU next year.

True or false: Kaufman and Furst are the highest ranked current Indiana HS seniors.

All true. 

true or False, the best player from the class you keep referencing is on IUs roster?

you can’t have one without the other.  Purdue got two guys from the state.  IU got the best one from the state and a guy from Ohio who is better than one of the Indiana kids.   

Edited by Bustout

13 minutes ago, Bustout said:

All true. 

true or False, the best player from the class you keep referencing is on IUs roster?

you can’t have one without the other.  Purdue got two guys from the state.  IU got the best one from the state and a guy from Ohio who is better than one of the Indiana kids.   

False.

The best player who graduated in 2020 after reclassifying is on IU's roster.

He was a 2020 recruit. There are no 2021 Indiana recruits on IU's roster.

Edited by go_iu_bb

I think anyone not concerned with this recruiting class is being a bit pollyannish.  We were expecting a class of 3-4, we have 1.  We missed on a very good recruit from southern Indiana to Purdue.  He plays a position we need, he would have been a perfect fit, and we lost him to Purdue.  We continually missed on others too. 

There's always a chance to correct basketball recruiting whiffs through transfers. And we'll see if a lot of guys stay because of the covid situation.  

But let's be clear, unless something changes, this class probably missed worse than any other in Archie's tenure.  I highly doubt he would choose Parker Stewart over jordan Longino, trey Kaufman, Mason Miller, blake Wessley, or Aminu Muhammad. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Blazin Hazin said:

I think anyone not concerned with this recruiting class is being a bit pollyannish.  We were expecting a class of 3-4, we have 1.  We missed on a very good recruit from southern Indiana to Purdue.  He plays a position we need, he would have been a perfect fit, and we lost him to Purdue.  We continually missed on others too. 

There's always a chance to correct basketball recruiting whiffs through transfers. And we'll see if a lot of guys stay because of the covid situation.  

But let's be clear, unless something changes, this class probably missed worse than any other in Archie's tenure.  I highly doubt he would choose Parker Stewart over jordan Longino, trey Kaufman, Mason Miller, blake Wessley, or Aminu Muhammad. 

Actually my next year IU will have a 5 man class.  Every freshman this year will still be considered freshman next year so to me that class is pretty good.

8 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

While I agree with a lot of what you're saying, I wouldn't include Wesley in that group. From many accounts IU stopped recruiting him well before his commitment.

8 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

IU has two - have to include Stewart. And I think a 3pt shooter with experience and a high IQ ... I actually think that’s preferred over some of the guys listed. 

I am no recruiting guru, but I think everyone gets a little carried away with 5 star 4 star stuff. There are a lot of great basketball players out there. Every year in the NCAA tournament it gets proven. Schools you hardly heard of Put a team on the floor that can flat out play.

I just have to trust that our coaches know what we need and they got several kids that can fill those spots on there recutting list. If they miss you go after another till you get the best you can. 
we win our share of in State recruits, but we are not going to get them all. We will even lose some we really wanted but that’s life. Go get the next kid and let’s play ball. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bob said:

I am no recruiting guru, but I think everyone gets a little carried away with 5 star 4 star stuff. There are a lot of great basketball players out there. Every year in the NCAA tournament it gets proven. Schools you hardly heard of Put a team on the floor that can flat out play.

I just have to trust that our coaches know what we need and they got several kids that can fill those spots on there recutting list. If they miss you go after another till you get the best you can. 
we win our share of in State recruits, but we are not going to get them all. We will even lose some we really wanted but that’s life. Go get the next kid and let’s play ball. 

agree. Case in point - Franklin was a 3*

11 minutes ago, Bustout said:

“After reclassifying”.  

IU recruited the 2021 class.  Got the best player.   

Reclassifying means he changed his class so he was no longer a 2021 recruit. How can he possibly be a 2021 recruit when he's playing college in 2020?

What if it was the reversed and instead of being a very good student who was able to graduate a year early he was a poor student so went to prep evil and reclassified to 2022? Should you still try to count him as a 2021 recruit?

What if he skipped a year while in elementary  or middle school instead of skipping his senior year of HS? Is he still a 2021 recruit instead of 2020?

It's where the player finishes that determines which class he is considered to be a part of, nor where he starts.

After reclassifying he was still the top recruit from Indiana in 2020.

Edited by go_iu_bb

58 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

True or false: lander will be better in 2021-22 after competing against big ten competition instead of high school competition.

Who cares which class he wound up in.  This year does not even count against his eligibility.

We really missed on kauffman... Otherwise we have landed almost everyone we wanted from Indiana the last few years.

• Like 3