2021 Recruiting Hub

20 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

From the sound of things, that's already looking like a possibility.

Way to early.  We are in good with Wesley and Kaufman.  Would be shocker to not get 1 or both. Good but not great with Lander. I dont hear much about Furst but we are right there. I could see 3 or 0 to be honest. Lots of time and variables 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Way to early.  We are in good with Wesley and Kaufman.  Would be shocker to not get 1 or both. Good but not great with Lander. I dont hear much about Furst but we are right there. I could see 3 or 0 to be honest. Lots of time and variables 

Wonder if all of them will be a fall signee or will some wait until the spring to sign.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Problem is I think part of the problem with recruiting is the perception that he is already on the hot seat.  I know people don't want to believe it but when fans constantly criticize the coach and talk about them being on a hot seat only hurts recruiting.  You don't think other coaches don't use that in negative recruiting when they see the fan turning on the coach.

I don’t think he’s on the hot seat yet, nor do I think kids believe that. However, the kids that we target won’t come IF what we produce on the court is poor.  That’s what they see, therefore that’s how coaches lose their jobs, or how they’re put on the hot seat in the first place. Win and they’ll come. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Problem is I think part of the problem with recruiting is the perception that he is already on the hot seat.  I know people don't want to believe it but when fans constantly criticize the coach and talk about them being on a hot seat only hurts recruiting.  You don't think other coaches don't use that in negative recruiting when they see the fan turning on the coach.

I have a very close friend who has a contact with the dad of a player IU was recruiting who is a current high school senior.  The player chose another school because he and his dad were scared away from IU because they were told on the recruiting trail that this would be Archie’s last year.  Sounds to me like your concern is perfectly reasonable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I have a very close friend who has a contact with the dad of a player IU was recruiting who is a current high school senior.  The player chose another school because he and his dad were scared away from IU because they were told on the recruiting trail that this would be Archie’s last year.  Sounds to me like your concern is perfectly reasonable.

I would hope the parents of a highly regarded recruit would have done more due diligence rather than listening to random gossip, especially when the source (a rival coach) has extra incentive to not tell the truth.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would hope the parents of a highly regarded recruit would have done more due diligence rather than listening to random gossip, especially when the source (a rival coach) has extra incentive to not tell the truth.

I would agree with that comment.  However the young man did go elsewhere so how much homework was done I don’t know.

29 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I would agree with that comment.  However the young man did go elsewhere so how much homework was done I don’t know.

And there is the possibility that it had become clear that IU's interest had waned and it sounded better to dad if that's the story he gave out.  I'm in no way saying that's what happened but it is a possibility.  Also, I agree with 5fouls that listening to a rival coach isn't exactly doing what's best for your child.  If you can't say anything good about your own program I guess you can only resort to dissing the competition.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

And there is the possibility that it had become clear that IU's interest had waned and it sounded better to dad if that's the story he gave out.  I'm in no way saying that's what happened but it is a possibility.  Also, I agree with 5fouls that listening to a rival coach isn't exactly doing what's best for your child.  If you can't say anything good about your own program I guess you can only resort to dissing the competition.  

I agree with this too.  But really the point is that others are using negative recruiting against Archie.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

There are still 14 Indiana High School players in 247's Top 200 for 2021.  

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=IN

I also noticed that Lander picked up an Indiana Crystal Ball prediction.

How come Archie don’t recruit La Lumiere...looks like Minny picked one out....from the page it looks like Butler has taken over the state..😂

I'm not sure where all the alarmist rhetoric is coming from?  Because a kid (allegedly) had a Michigan poster on his wall when he was 12?  Really?

Unless he is playing us for clicks, Brian Snow thinks we are right in there at the top with Lander ("IU and Louisville, maybe Michigan"), Kaufman, and Wesley.  He's hardly bullish on anything related to IU in general.  He lives in Indiana and has a chip on his shoulder about the IU fan base.  I guess familiarity breeds contempt.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

How come Archie don’t recruit La Lumiere...looks like Minny picked one out....from the page it looks like Butler has taken over the state..😂

Archie has. The ketchup kid and Isaiah Stewart both went to La Lumiere although neither one started their careers their. I will say that I have heard in the past that La Lu is a little shady but I don't know that to be factual. I will say that Kumari Lands who is from Indy in the 2022 class that goes to La Lu is someone IU should be looking at. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'm not sure where all the alarmist rhetoric is coming from?  Because a kid (allegedly) had a Michigan poster on his wall when he was 12?  Really?

Unless he is playing us for clicks, Brian Snow thinks we are right in there at the top with Lander ("IU and Louisville, maybe Michigan"), Kaufman, and Wesley.  He's hardly bullish on anything related to IU in general.  He lives in Indiana and has a chip on his shoulder about the IU fan base.  I guess familiarity breeds contempt.

My point is unless you are the recruit or his parents we really have no idea especially this early. I had what I thought was just about as close to the source that you can get with the ketchup recruit and it did not pan out. I do feel that our play this year will be a big impact on Lander and to a lesser degree Kaufman. Not putting too much into it but I feel very good about Kaufman. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

My point is unless you are the recruit or his parents we really have no idea especially this early. I had what I thought was just about as close to the source that you can get with the ketchup recruit and it did not pan out. I do feel that our play this year will be a big impact on Lander and to a lesser degree Kaufman. Not putting too much into it but I feel very good about Kaufman. 

Excellent post, Billingsley.  I know you are dialed-in to the process really well.  I was tuned into the program pretty solidly at one point but have no information now.  But, between my prior connections and, having followed recruiting to the 1980's--pre-internet, I have a good understanding of the process and how it really works.  My take is that we see lots of pronouncements and they do not ring true from how things really work.  I don't know that there is a subject where people bat so poorly as it is with recruiting pronouncements at any point in the process, let alone 12-18 months from a decision.

The bottom line is that, until a decision is not made, it's not made yet.  It's that simple.  Promises and guarantees from some "player's classmate's, auntie's plumber who went to the same Church in the fifth grade with a guy who once talked to a player's dad at Kroger" isn't going to cut it.  That's how "conventional wisdom" builds and everyone is so off.  In reality, the kid doesn't know yet because a decision hasn't been made.

The other tell is when there is a guy who thinks he is well connected on every subject.  That's not real.  There are issues where you have varying degrees of knowledge, but nobody knows everything about everything.  That's not how it works.  Call B.S. on anybody who plays that card.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Excellent post, Billingsley.  I know you are dialed-in to the process really well.  I was tuned into the program pretty solidly at one point but have no information now.  But, between my prior connections and, having followed recruiting to the 1980's--pre-internet, I have a good understanding of the process and how it really works.  My take is that we see lots of pronouncements and they do not ring true from how things really work.  I don't know that there is a subject where people bat so poorly as it is with recruiting pronouncements at any point in the process, let alone 12-18 months from a decision.

The bottom line is that, until a decision is not made, it's not made yet.  It's that simple.  Promises and guarantees from some "player's classmate's, auntie's plumber who went to the same Church in the fifth grade with a guy who once talked to a player's dad at Kroger" isn't going to cut it.  That's how "conventional wisdom" builds and everyone is so off.  In reality, the kid doesn't know yet because a decision hasn't been made.

The other tell is when there is a guy who thinks he is well connected on every subject.  That's not real.  There are issues where you have varying degrees of knowledge, but nobody knows everything about everything.  That's not how it works.  Call B.S. on anybody who plays that card.

Thank you.  When my wife hits me with something for calling BS on her knowing everything should I tell her it was Bob's fault 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

662B9D7A-9AEB-4549-8738-C103E34C6E0A.gif

• Thanks 1

Just a general question about 21 recruiting efforts. I realize we are way out from commits and plenty can change. Can someone summarize where we are with Furst, Kaufman, Lander? Which one do you think we have best chance of landing? I'm asking here so I didn't have to ask in each individual thread. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a general question about 21 recruiting efforts. I realize we are way out from commits and plenty can change. Can someone summarize where we are with Furst, Kaufman, Lander? Which one do you think we have best chance of landing? I'm asking here so I didn't have to ask in each individual thread. Thanks!

People seem to have different thoughts and opinions on all of them. Here’s my worthless one...

I want em all. Is that realistic? Maybe, maybe not. How would it help long term? We may get 0 to 3 of these guys. I want a recruiting class that will fit in well with who will already be there. 2 or 3 of these guys are likely day 1 starters. Will that hurt players that are already there? Or help them get better? As a coach I’d want my players to be challenged. 

here is MY ideal in-state only class of 21, based on what I’ve seen, not rankings...don’t have enough info to know of out of state players. You can agree, disagree, call me fat, whatever. Just my 1.7 cents

Kaufmann (a 3-4 position) 

Wesley (potential scoring/combo guard)

P. Thomas (or an athlete of similar talent)

a hidden gem...Etchison? Someone else who may pop up?  A tough nosed ball stopper who’s a great practice player for 1-2 years, then leads as an upperclassman.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We are a ways out on some...but hey JR Konieczny committed to ND already so if a kid is certain they will commit earlier. It isn't impossible that you make an impression someone announces early.

• Like 1

I’m just going to say this right now....if Indiana’s compliance office is not working with the athletic department and coaching staff to devise a plan for supporting the athletes in laying  the ground work to prepare them for receiving payment and endorsements for likeness then we are missing a huge opportunity to promote our kids in state. I mean Indiana University has the most notarity in the State...locates centrally near the biggest market Indy and our kids should have every opportunity to benefit big from this....and I would sell that to EVERY in state kid....Lander we will be working to promote you in the Evansville market...Kaufman in the Indy area....Wesley in Ft Wayne...you will be on tv doing commercials on billboards etc promoting local business in Indiana candy stripes and all over the tv getting paid and our marketing department which is the best in the state will help you put pen to paper for these deals....and you play at Assembly Hall!! We have to market ourselves to these recruits...we should dominate the state and it all starts in 2021!!!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

People seem to have different thoughts and opinions on all of them. Here’s my worthless one...

I want em all. Is that realistic? Maybe, maybe not. How would it help long term? We may get 0 to 3 of these guys. I want a recruiting class that will fit in well with who will already be there. 2 or 3 of these guys are likely day 1 starters. Will that hurt players that are already there? Or help them get better? As a coach I’d want my players to be challenged. 

here is MY ideal in-state only class of 21, based on what I’ve seen, not rankings...don’t have enough info to know of out of state players. You can agree, disagree, call me fat, whatever. Just my 1.7 cents

Kaufmann (a 3-4 position) 

Wesley (potential scoring/combo guard)

P. Thomas (or an athlete of similar talent)

a hidden gem...Etchison? Someone else who may pop up?  A tough nosed ball stopper who’s a great practice player for 1-2 years, then leads as an upperclassman.

I like this thought process although I would lean towards Furst. IU needs a 5 moving forward not another big wing. Furst would be a solid replacement for Brunk moving forward.