2021 Recruiting Hub

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yes I heard Cal got upset that guys have just been using UK for publicity lately to get followers and attention with no intention of coming. Some of that is true but I do think a lot of that is Cals big head snd pissed that Duke and now Memphis is leap frogging him for recruits. That said Todd has been hinting for awhile now that he might go overseas. uK had an assistant go visit him so they probably got that from him. My honest opinion...when the shoe money dried up because of the scrutiny the kid decided to make some quick cash overseas and pull a Lamelo, Hampton, Presley, Bowen, Bazely route. It’s becoming more common.

I've been saying this for years and agree with Cal (in this one instance) that certain players will use schools to get followers. Now that people want to pay players for their likeness/brand,etc....one of the biggest ways to value that player is number of followers on social media platforms. What's the best way to get followers? Include 2-3 high profile rabid fan bases to your recruitment.

Great pickup for Michigan. Wake me when he makes it to campus.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

Rivals is saying he has no plans to arrive on campus.

"I like Coach Juwan," Todd told ESPN last weekend. "I like the fact he used to play in the NBA, I like that he played in college, and I like the fact he played my position. I also like the school, obviously having a Michigan degree, that means something."

:rollinglaugh:

Todd has often been considered a candidate to go overseas and play professionally for a year before entering the NBA draft, but he told ESPN last weekend that he planned to go to college.

"It's a thought in the back of my head," he said of playing overseas, "but I really think the college route is the best route."

• 1 month later...

So looking at the 2021 class I would like to see a pg, a wing, a pf, and a c. The pg spot is Landers if he wants it but I think the staff needs to fins some backup options. The wing spot has several good options that the staff has been in contact with. The pf/c spots could be Kaufman, Furst, and or Duncamb. That said I see Kaufman as a 4 and Furst and Duncamb as 5's based on their current skills sets. So yes Furst and Kaufman can play together. If they don't want to because of personal reasons then the staff needs to find other options for that spot. If the class is bigger than 4 then they can take best players and work with what they can get. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 1

So a name to keep an eye on that I could see his ranking increase this year is Gus Etchison at Hamilton Heights. He currently has offers from Western Michigan, IUPUI, and the dreaded Incarnate Word. But if he continues to show the athleticism and shooting he did last night watch out. He scored 26 against us in a scrimmage last night. He is 6'1 or 6'2 and can jump out of the gym for a pg. He has a good shooting stroke and good court vision. Obviously Lander is option 1 but this could be a decent option to look at if Lander goes elsewhere. I also feel for the kid since his dad got killed just a few weeks ago too in a farming accident. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Biggest in state class.in quite some time HSN  who are the must get for CAM?

I’m not sure there is a single must get. It looks like there are 4 main targets right now. 

Getting all 4 is highly unlikely. 
Getting 3 would be awesome and seems plausible right now. 
Getting 2 is probably realistic. 
Getting only 1 could be bad news. 

Just so people know how loaded the in state 2021 class is here are the rankings based on 247. 

1.) Kristian Lander 5* Evansville Reitz / Not Committed 

2.) Caleb Furst 4* FW Blackhawk / Not Committed 

3.) Trey Kaufman 4* Silver Creek / Not Committed 

4.) Jeremy Sochan 4* LaLu / Not Committed

5.) Treyton Thompson 4* LaLu  / Not Committed 

6.) Blake Wesley 4* SB Riley / Not Committed 

7.) Luke Goode 4* Homestead / Not Committed 

8.) J.R. Konleczny 4* SB St. Joe / Committed to Notre Dame

9.) Jalen Blackmon 4* Marion / Not Committed 

10.) Pierce Thomas 3* Brownsburg / Not Committed 

11.) Jayden Brewer 3* Avon / Not Committed 

12.) Brooks Barnhizer 3* Laffayette Jeff / Not Committed 

13.) Jayden Taylor 3* Perry Meridian / Committed to Butler 

14.) Quimari Petterson 3* Gary West Side / Not Committed 

Not Listed 

Gus Etchison / Hamilton Heights

Luke Brown / Blackford

Kooper Jacobi / Silver Creek

Blake Sisley / Herritage Hills

There are also at least 12 other players around the state with D1 offers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Here is a video of Gus Etchison from this summer playing for Indiana Elite. I'm not saying he is a kid IU needs to offer now just someone that could rise in rankings and fill a need if we miss on Lander. He has better athleticism than Luke Brown imo and plays a harder schedule. Not a knock on Brown because I'm a fan of his two but this kid is really athletic. Hamilton Heights could have a 17-19 win season this year imo as well. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Kooper Jacobi / Silver Creek

Jacobi starred on his Under Armour AAU team this summer and outperformed many guys that have stars by their name.

Make no mistake.  When you hear/see Jacobi have a better stat line than Kaufman at times this year, it does not mean Kaufman had a bad game.  It means Jacobi is that good.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Jacobi starred on his Under Armour AAU team this summer and outperformed many guys that have stars by their name.

Make no mistake.  When you hear/see Jacobi have a better stat line than Kaufman at times this year, it does not mean Kaufman had a bad game.  It means Jacobi is that good.

I believe it. I hope to watch Silver Creek in person at some point this year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Agreed!

5 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Here is a video of Gus Etchison from this summer playing for Indiana Elite. I'm not saying he is a kid IU needs to offer now just someone that could rise in rankings and fill a need if we miss on Lander. He has better athleticism than Luke Brown imo and plays a harder schedule. Not a knock on Brown because I'm a fan of his two but this kid is really athletic. Hamilton Heights could have a 17-19 win season this year imo as well. 

I saw this kid play at the IBCA top 100 event at Ben Davis and was blown away.  From a pure athletic standpoint and ball handling skills this guy is elite  I just don't know where he ends up because he looked to be about 5-10, 150.

5 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I saw this kid play at the IBCA top 100 event at Ben Davis and was blown away.  From a pure athletic standpoint and ball handling skills this guy is elite  I just don't know where he ends up because he looked to be about 5-10, 150.

5-10 and can dunk like that..pass like that..wow...has Indiana been in contact..consider me blown away too

2 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

5-10 and can dunk like that..pass like that..wow...has Indiana been in contact..consider me blown away too

We play Hamilton Heights every year. He just lost his father in a farming accident a couple weeks ago. Tragic. His dad was tony Etchison from noblesville in the early 90’s I believe. Gus can literally dunk it any way you want. It’s stupid good! 

I wouldn’t be shocked to see us watch him this year and next spring/summer. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

We play Hamilton Heights every year. He just lost his father in a farming accident a couple weeks ago. Tragic. His dad was tony Etchison from noblesville in the early 90’s I believe. Gus can literally dunk it any way you want. It’s stupid good! 

I wouldn’t be shocked to see us watch him this year and next spring/summer. 

That’s sad...I heard about that....he would be worth a look for sure

4 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

He blocked our 6’5 post player on one shot that was ridiculous. He is pretty well put together from a muscle stand point considering his height and weight. I though he was a little taller than 5’10 but that might just be because he played bigger than that.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

He blocked our 6’5 post player on one shot that was ridiculous. He is pretty well put together from a muscle stand point considering his height and weight. I though he was a little taller than 5’10 but that might just be because he played bigger than that.

I could be underestimating his height but I don't think so.  If anyone could appreciate his potential it would be Archie.

50 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I could be underestimating his height but I don't think so.  If anyone could appreciate his potential it would be Archie.

I plan on watching him again this year when I don’t have to worry about what our players are doing on the court. So I’ll get a better look at his actual height then.