James Bouknight Commits to UConn

13 hours ago, BDB said:

Someone inform Arch right away.

I didn't mean me or the guys I play with are James is level...I'm almost 40 lol...just that the kids he was going up against there looked pretty sorry. But yes...those facilities were not very good.

As for the kid and sending out notices...I think kids like Newman and Franklin should definitely be on notice...but as far as Brooks and TJD goes...they have to be careful too...once kids start signing places fill up quick. It won't be too much longer a lot of 4 stars are going to start making some decisions and these 5 stars are going to see a lot of opportunities close up....especially places where there are only a couple scholly's.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

There are definitely off the record understandings with offers. What do you think happens to all the offers that are out once we fill all of our spots?

Well obviously if there are no more spots the offer is rescinded they had their chance....but to rescind an offer to a kid that agrees to accept and you have openings to me that won't look good and win you much good will with his coaches and other influencers for other kids. To me you should be a man of your word. You offer a scholarship you should be prepared to accept it. Perhaps there is an agreement that he will only accept one guard...but I would say if this kid accepts before everyone else....we aren't going to say...now wait a minute...if this kid doesn't accept then I'll give it to you. That would be disrespectful IMO. Granted I'm not part of recruiting and maybe things run differently but I would take it that way.

Many of the offers have some type of strings attached for lack of a better word. A lot of the coaches will tell a recruit where they see them and many are also honest and say that we have others ahead of you but there is a spot for you. these high level kids want to play wherever they decide so some of the offers out there I feel the recruit knows if they will be able to get playing time here. That is why you will see kids with big ten offers end up at a school that makes you wonder why.  Each year there are a couple of kids that know that a spot will be available if and when they commit but the rest are taking a chance of pulling the trigger early and go to a place and not contribute or to wait too long and not go where they wanted to.  After reading this it sound like ramble but in my ehad it made sense.

Hopefully no one feel this way...At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I played Church league for about 18 years until I had knee surgery.  Most of that time we played in the Hoosier gym in Knightstown best know for being the home court of Hickory in the movie Hoosiers.

That would be an epic gym to play in...I've been there before in high school when we played football against them. Yeah I can't play like I used to...knees pretty well shot too. Now I'm that older guy that gets by with crafty moves and sharp shooting instead of my athletic ability. Seems like the kids get a younger every year and me older. I just love the game and want to hold on to as much of it as possible!

57 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Offers will get pulled.  If say Newman and Franklin committed today the other guards would have their offers immediately pulled.

But what I'm saying is if this kid accepts we wouldn't rescind his offer because we are waiting on Newman and Franklin? At this point the only person I think is pretty well locked in is TJD. I'm not waiting on Brooks if I get acceptance from some of these 4 star kids...there is a lot of talent to leave on the table when we don't even know if Brooks wants to be here. I don't look at our wings and say I need a sg and sf. These kids are of the size they are pretty interchangeable. I'd take Newman and this kid and not look back at Brooks.

5 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Just saying KB needs to take notice.  Archie will wait as long as he can unless another good recruit is ready to jump in. I know KB isnt a guard BTW...Lol

Archie is only going to take two guards this cycle tops.  Not enough PT for three top 100 kids.

He will hold the other two for  KB, TJD, Hurt, Nnaji, Stewart and Watford.  We most likely aren't going to get Stewart, Hurt or Watford....so KB only has one kid to worry about in Nnaji so far.  

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That would be an epic gym to play in...I've been there before in high school when we played football against them. Yeah I can't play like I used to...knees pretty well shot too. Now I'm that older guy that gets by with crafty moves and sharp shooting instead of my athletic ability. Seems like the kids get a younger every year and me older. I just love the game and want to hold on to as much of it as possible!

I use to play 3 or 4 times a week and every Sunday for Church league but was told I can't play a full court game anymore.  I have little to know cartilage left in either knees so if I play they swell up and it is hard to walk.  I guess growing up around that gym and playing there many times I never got the big thrill of the Hoosier gym but the movie made it famous.

2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

There are definitely off the record understandings with offers. What do you think happens to all the offers that are out once we fill all of our spots?

There are a lot of you that I can't convince that this happens, but I'd virtually guarantee there are offers with contingencies attached to prevent plan B candidates from prematurely filling up all the scholarships. 

Some, but not all, offers are unconditional.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

There are a lot of you that I can't convince that this happens, but I'd virtually guarantee there are offers with contingencies attached to prevent plan B candidates from prematurely filling up all the scholarships. 

It's not a pleasant aspect of recruiting, but it's absolutely unavoidable.

35 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I would wager that this does NOT happen with highly ranked kids. I can see it happening with a kid we’d like to have, but wouldn’t be disappointed if we didn’t get. I know I’ve said this before, but from what I’ve gathered, coaches have strategies for offers. It’s a little bit of gambling, but the top kids don’t have those contingencies or you don’t make their lists. Now every acceptance probably re-shuffles most of the offers, but I’d think this type of contingency would come out in the open more often if it was very common. 

3 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I would wager that this does NOT happen with highly ranked kids. I can see it happening with a kid we’d like to have, but wouldn’t be disappointed if we didn’t get. I know I’ve said this before, but from what I’ve gathered, coaches have strategies for offers. It’s a little bit of gambling, but the top kids don’t have those contingencies or you don’t make their lists. Now every acceptance probably re-shuffles most of the offers, but I’d think this type of contingency would come out in the open more often if it was very common. 

...which is why I said "...there are offers with contingencies attached to prevent PLAN B candidates from prematurely filling up all the scholarships."

...and yes, I believe it is fairly common in situations where a PLAN B recruit is offered.  It doesn't come out because what kid wants to say "IU offered me a scholarship but it's only good if player A goes to another school."  Hell no.  Kids want to say "I'm blesses to have a scholarship offer from IU."  They don't have to lessen the prestige of the offer by saying it came with a contingency.  That convinces at least some plan B targets to hold off committing to a lesser school for awhile.  Plenty of lesser school offers will still be there if plan B recruit needs to go down that road.  Making the contingent offer keeps plan B alive for schools like IU while they chase bigger fish.

...and yeah...obviously, Romeo Langford, Trayce Jackson-Davis and kids of that caliber get unconditional offers.  No one ever said otherwise.  The only way that offer gets pulled is if another equally desirable target commits first and the school is out of scholarships.

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...which is why I said "...there are offers with contingencies attached to prevent PLAN B candidates from prematurely filling up all the scholarships."

...and yes, I believe it is fairly common in situations where a PLAN B recruit is offered.  It doesn't come out because what kid wants to say "IU offered me a scholarship but it's only good if player A goes to another school."  Hell no.  Kids want to say "I'm blesses to have a scholarship offer from IU."  They don't have to lessen the prestige of the offer by saying it came with a contingency.  That convinces at least some plan B targets to hold off committing to a lesser school for awhile.  Plenty of lesser school offers will still be there if plan B recruit needs to go down that road.  Making the contingent offer keeps plan B alive for schools like IU while they chase bigger fish.

...and yeah...obviously, Romeo Langford, Trayce Jackson-Davis and kids of that caliber get unconditional offers.  No one ever said otherwise.  The only way that offer gets pulled is if another equally desirable target commits first and the school is out of scholarships.

I think we’re on the same page. And with the fish we are going after (and will be going after in the future) I don’t anticipate there being too many contingency offers.

19 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I don’t know who we will end up with, but I do feel pretty confident IU won’t be taking prill-in players to complete our roster.

I'd rather not give out a scholarship than do that. In fact as deep as our team is from this past recruiting class...if we didn't land a single player we still may be ok. I'd say we'd like a big and a guard minimum but it wouldn't be a major set back on the court if we didn't....just in the recruiting world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2018 at 10:43 PM, kyhoosier29 said:

I think we’re on the same page. And with the fish we are going after (and will be going after in the future) I don’t anticipate there being too many contingency offers.

Good point. I mean when almost all our guys are top 100 recruits and most top 50 it would be insulting to be putting contingencies on these kids. We are mostly talking to 5 star and very high 4 star recruits...I haven’t seen many 3 stars that would make sense to say you are the fall back guys. All these guys are roughly the same level of talent...just because a stupid rating guy says one is 40th best and another 60th....out of thousands of kids...that is not a difference...and I’m sure these kids see themselves as good if not better than those we are tracking.

Archived