James Bouknight Commits to UConn

2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Nice!! UCONN has a new coach...but they might have been scuffling as bad if not worse than us the past couple years with the lawsuits etc from the ex-coach. I think we have more positive energy and momentum. He would be a perfect follow up to Romeo....another great shooter!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Nice!! UCONN has a new coach...but they might have been scuffling as bad if not worse than us the past couple years with the lawsuits etc from the ex-coach. I think we have more positive energy and momentum. He would be a perfect follow up to Romeo....another great shooter!

So is this guy just not a high ranked player because of injuries or is he just underrated? I don’t know much about him!

10 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

So is this guy just not a high ranked player because of injuries or is he just underrated? I don’t know much about him!

He had a torn meniscus so he missed out in some of the early AAU season evaluating so he basically fell off the radar. Then he came back and dropped a bunch of points and shown he was back. It took me some time to find out more about him but everything points to a very smooth player and deadly shooter. I think he is under rated and a guy that could use some strength and conditioning but he has such a nice stroke that I would be happy to have him. I think everyone is hoping for Newman but with him moving to Florida it would be hard to pass this kid up with the off chance that Newman is going to sign late. Seems to be long lean and athletic too.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

He had a torn meniscus so he missed out in some of the early AAU season evaluating so he basically fell off the radar. Then he came back and dropped a bunch of points and shown he was back. It took me some time to find out more about him but everything points to a very smooth player and deadly shooter. I think he is under rated and a guy that could use some strength and conditioning but he has such a nice stroke that I would be happy to have him. I think everyone is hoping for Newman but with him moving to Florida it would be hard to pass this kid up with the off chance that Newman is going to sign late. Seems to be long lean and athletic too.

Thanks for the info! Do you think if he continues to blow up he finishes top 50?

22 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Thanks for the info! Do you think if he continues to blow up he finishes top 50?

Well AAU is done for him...it would just be HS at this point and I’d say these are pretty well final evaluations but I think his late summer play put him on the map. I’m sure some of the insiders might have more knowledge of the rating process. He just seems to be a late riser because he was hurt during the early evaluation period. I liked how smooth and easy he got his shot off and got to the hole but there just wasn’t much to evaluate him on. Seems to be the common sentiment right now.

16 hours ago, 5 championships said:

This guy is pretty smooth! I like him as much as Newman. Would take him or Newman with TJD and Brooks. 

I don't know what the rules are for linking videos etc. If this is wrong just let me know and I wont do it again. I really really like this kid. I would love him or Newman. He could use a little muscle but from evidence of all our tweet thread that shouldn't be a problem....20 lbs of pure muscle right! Anyways smooth is exactly how I would characterize him. He just plays so effortless!

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don't know what the rules are for linking videos etc. If this is wrong just let me know and I wont do it again. I really really like this kid. I would love him or Newman. He could use a little muscle but from evidence of all our tweet thread that shouldn't be a problem....20 lbs of pure muscle right! Anyways smooth is exactly how I would characterize him. He just plays so effortless!

Yup! Once I saw his highlights im thinking it might be a blessing this guy fell under the radar a littler bit from being hurt. Carton was the number one guard I wanted but this kid would be a great backup plan! It would be a big steal if Archie can pull it off. Surely we can beat out Uconn.

4 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Yup! Once I saw his highlights im thinking it might be a blessing this guy fell under the radar a littler bit from being hurt. Carton was the number one guard I wanted but this kid would be a great backup plan! It would be a big steal if Archie can pull it off. Surely we can beat out Uconn.

Definitely a 2...would play well next to Phinesee. Archie should put on the full court press for the kid.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Definitely a 2...would play well next to Phinesee. Archie should put on the full court press for the kid.

Next to Carton there is no other guard that we are in on that i think he is the consolation prize.

I am all for TJD, JB and Shedrick

You find a spot for Brooks if he wants to be a Hoosier there is no one else in this class i want morw than these 2 guys. IMO very strong class if CAM gets it done 

I probably don't have as good of an eye for scouting prospects, but if you told me he was a smooth low 5 star or high 4 star per rivals I'd believe it lol. His highlights seem impressive to me, kind of reminds of watching Romeo highlights the way he can shoot/glide across the floor. 

If we could get commitments from TJD and JB before our season starts I think that is a strong place to be with still a chance to sign extra studs like KBJ if he wants to hop in. I think KBJ is less of a necessity and more luxury since we'll have Jerome at the 3 likely being a stud next season. 

2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Bouknight moved up fifteen spots to #73 in the new 247 rankings, still a 4*.

The more I've dug up on the kid the more I like him. He is kind of slight of build but he is very polished offensive guard. He has now moved into my #1 prized guard recruit.

I am wondering what his measurements are. Height standing reach arm length etc. He seems like a very polished offensive player. Mix that with Archie's defensive tenacity type of coaching and he seems like he has the capacity in two to three years to become a monster two way player especially adding muscle to his frame. 

13 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Top 50 talent. Definitely better than Harris. 

Agreed. Offensively he is well ahead. He is more a pure 2 though from all I watched. Definitely a scorers mentality. Harris seemed to be a better ball handler and showed more grit defensively.

10 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I am wondering what his measurements are. Height standing reach arm length etc. He seems like a very polished offensive player. Mix that with Archie's defensive tenacity type of coaching and he seems like he has the capacity in two to three years to become a monster two way player especially adding muscle to his frame. 

I agree. I think he would struggle some his freshman year with size/strength. But if he goes through the strength and conditioning program a guy that could be a 2-3 year starter. Kind of reminds me of Bracey Wright....or at least I hope he can be that kind of player for us. Not sure of his defensive intensity but Archie will make good on that end of the floor.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. Offensively he is well ahead. He is more a pure 2 though from all I watched. Definitely a scorers mentality. Harris seemed to be a better ball handler and showed more grit defensively.

I agree. I think he would struggle some his freshman year with size/strength. But if he goes through the strength and conditioning program a guy that could be a 2-3 year starter. Kind of reminds me of Bracey Wright....or at least I hope he can be that kind of player for us. Not sure of his defensive intensity but Archie will make good on that end of the floor.

Yes Harris is a gritty deffensive minded 1 with pretty good handles. Bouknight more of a 2 but with Romeo most likely gone we will definitely need James shooting.  If Harris wants to come aboard great but I would shoot for a better 1 in next years class and add shooting in this class with the departure of Rome. 

Bouknight kinda reminds me of Curtis Jones but a better version. 

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

Yes Harris is a gritty deffensive minded 1 with pretty good handles. Bouknight more of a 2 but with Romeo most likely gone we will definitely need James shooting.  If Harris wants to come aboard great but I would shoot for a better 1 in next years class and add shooting in this class with the departure of Rome. 

Bouknight kinda reminds me of Curtis Jones but a better version. 

Oh...trust me...I'm all about adding shooters. I'm sick and tired of an Indiana basketball team that can't shoot the ball. No excuses. I'm almost 40 and I can still knock down jumpers at a better clip then what we saw from some of our guards the past several years that is a travesty. With all the talent in our state and around the country to be going after these "athletes" but not targeting fundamentals and shooting to me is a tragedy. If I see another guard catch a pass and immediately drive the ball to the baseline with no place to go or see guys that can't hit the broad side of a barn I just may give up on basketball altogether. We can do better. I think Archie is doing better with that. So I'm hopeful we land this kid....and a few more shooters. He may not be from Indiana but he seems to have a great skill for putting the ball in the basket. I want some athletes too...but I still don't want to lose for lack of shooters. I agree without Romeo this team is going to need that pure scorer/shooter. Robert, Al, and Green I think will be good...but I want someone to stroke it from deep. I think Bouknight will be that piece...and then follow him up with the Jalen Blackmon in a couple years...add another good point guard....that is how we need to be lining them up.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Oh...trust me...I'm all about adding shooters. I'm sick and tired of an Indiana basketball team that can't shoot the ball. No excuses. I'm almost 40 and I can still knock down jumpers at a better clip then what we saw from some of our guards the past several years that is a travesty. With all the talent in our state and around the country to be going after these "athletes" but not targeting fundamentals and shooting to me is a tragedy. If I see another guard catch a pass and immediately drive the ball to the baseline with no place to go or see guys that can't hit the broad side of a barn I just may give up on basketball altogether. We can do better. I think Archie is doing better with that. So I'm hopeful we land this kid....and a few more shooters. He may not be from Indiana but he seems to have a great skill for putting the ball in the basket. I want some athletes too...but I still don't want to lose for lack of shooters. I agree without Romeo this team is going to need that pure scorer/shooter. Robert, Al, and Green I think will be good...but I want someone to stroke it from deep. I think Bouknight will be that piece...and then follow him up with the Jalen Blackmon in a couple years...add another good point guard....that is how we need to be lining them up.

You’re right on the money! KBJ can score from multiple ways to. Him, Bouknight, and TJD would make a phenomenal class and I think Archie is real close to making that happen! 

Also if we could somehow get Newman sign him up! 

Archived