Who starts?

I know I've seen people talking about it in several different threads but a quick search didn't bring up the discussion in one spot. So...wondering who we think starts or in the main rotation. We look uber deep but we know its hard to play that many kids and there will be probably 8 maybe 9 tops that see consistent minutes most nights. Mainly wondering if we see any freshman other than Romeo start? I'd say Phinesee would see more of an impact in 2019 but will play a little like Al did last year. I also think Hunter will see his minutes creep up like say after Christmas break like we did for Smith last year. So do we think it looks like Green, Romeo, McRoberts, Juwan, and Fitz with Smith, Al, Hunter and maybe Davis when healthy? Maybe there is somebody that is close to the team that has heard if some more than others are expected to or is stepping into any roles this early into workouts. I have to admit...its been several years since I've had any confidence at all in our bench but I think we could see some come in and give us a spurt...that said there are only so many minutes to go around.

6 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Green

Romeo

McRoberts   -----> I wouldn't be shocked to see Hunter start after the first few games. 

Smith

Morgan

This is to start the year. 

So do you think we mostly go small ball like last year then? We definitely should be very athletic on the front line. I know we have Fitz and Davis should come back later. Hard to think that Fitz would go somewhere he wouldn't be likely to start a majority of the games...but I could definitely see us play a lot of minutes without a true center on the floor. I know matchups have a lot to do with lineups but I like yours for finishing games....kinda like the Warriors do.

11 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Exactly what I was going to say. I think Arch sticks with McRoberts for a while though. 

This. McRoberts is going to start for a long time. There is enough scoring on the floor with Green, Romeo, and Morgan.

Hunter is going to be on the floor when guys like Fitzner and Phinisee/Durham are in the game.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I know I've seen people talking about it in several different threads but a quick search didn't bring up the discussion in one spot. So...wondering who we think starts or in the main rotation. We look uber deep but we know its hard to play that many kids and there will be probably 8 maybe 9 tops that see consistent minutes most nights. Mainly wondering if we see any freshman other than Romeo start? I'd say Phinesee would see more of an impact in 2019 but will play a little like Al did last year. I also think Hunter will see his minutes creep up like say after Christmas break like we did for Smith last year. So do we think it looks like Green, Romeo, McRoberts, Juwan, and Fitz with Smith, Al, Hunter and maybe Davis when healthy? Maybe there is somebody that is close to the team that has heard if some more than others are expected to or is stepping into any roles this early into workouts. I have to admit...its been several years since I've had any confidence at all in our bench but I think we could see some come in and give us a spurt...that said there are only so many minutes to go around.

Green

Romeo

McRoberts

Smith

Morgan

Green, Langford, Morgan, Hunter, Smith. I believe RP/AD to replace Green and that position will be one to watch all season long. Assuming Davis won't be available until January so I won't mention him. Race, Damezi to follow off the bench. 

Regarding McRoberts. Hopefully he's off the bench. You don't bring in 4-5 guys who are very talented and start McRoberts. I know he's golden and protected by some...but unless he developed confidence and the willingness to shoot he's a liability on offense. I love how he plays. He makes the smart plays and helps the team...but coming off the bench similar to what Sheehey did is a role I see him in. 

Disclaimer who will come along and say McRoberts has to start. Big flashing lights....I love the way he plays. Every successful team needs a guy like him. He'll still get his 20 minutes a game but I don't want him starting. 

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Green, Langford, Morgan, Hunter, Smith. I believe RP/AD to replace Green and that position will be one to watch all season long. Assuming Davis won't be available until January so I won't mention him. Race, Damezi to follow off the bench. 

Regarding McRoberts. Hopefully he's off the bench. You don't bring in 4-5 guys who are very talented and start McRoberts. I know he's golden and protected by some...but unless he developed confidence and the willingness to shoot he's a liability on offense. I love how he plays. He makes the smart plays and helps the team...but coming off the bench similar to what Sheehey did is a role I see him in. 

Disclaimer who will come along and say McRoberts has to start. Big flashing lights....I love the way he plays. Every successful team needs a guy like him. He'll still get his 20 minutes a game but I don't want him starting. 

I am in agreement with you on McRoberts. I said he holds his starting spot for a while though because Arch seems to take his time inserting freshman into the starting line up. I know we only have last year to go on, but this board was wanting Al and Smith starting a number of games before they did. 

19 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

Green

Romeo

McRoberts   -----> I wouldn't be shocked to see Hunter start after the first few games. 

Smith

Morgan

This is to start the year. 

I would expect to see:

Green                   Phinisee/Durham

Langford              Durham/Green/Anderson/Blackmon

Morgan                 McRoberts/Hunter/Anderson

Smith                    Thompson/Forrester

Fitzner                  Forrester/Davis/Moore

Based on watching last years team, we lacked outside shooting at times.  I think that Langford obviously helps with that. Green and Durham becoming more consistent helps with that and if we use Morgan more at the 3 this year with having other bigs down low we could be pretty good on the perimeter, but if we struggle, I would not be surprised if Blackmon sees the floor for his shooting if his shooting is anywhere near what his brothers' are.  And based on watching him shoot at Hoosier Hysteria last year, he looked like a pretty good shooter from range. (Surprised to see him as a walk-on honestly, along with McRoberts.  I feel our walk-on squad could probably beat any other walk-on squad around)

Based on the Indiana All Star game (only one game so take it for what its worth):

I'd be very disappointed in Green if AP starts.  I think AP will be a great PG for IU in the future but he is still raw as far as a college point guard/leader goes as most freshman who aren't one and done's are.  The good Green is far better as of right now.   AP I think will get there but not this year but he should be a serviceable backup to Green if the good Green shows up this year.  Also based on the Indiana/UK all star game, I'm not expecting much out of Anderson this year.  I think he may become a special player for us as an upper class-man but not looking for much out of him this year.  I am hoping I am actually wrong about this one because I love this kid, but based on what I saw at the all-star game, I just don't see it happening for him this year.  I compare him to last year's team as in-between of Smith and Moore (not skill set but as far as playing time and effectiveness/contribution on the court)  

I loved what I saw from Thompson last year at Hoosier Hysteria.  I wish he would have not red-shirted last year but am grateful now that he did.  Really looking forward to him. 

I have not seen Hunter or Forrester play (and I'm not one to watch highlight tapes as they can be very misleading at times) but have heard great things from you all about them so my hopes are high but my expectations are unknown at this time.

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Until McRoberts stops outhustling, outrebounding, out-making the smart game-winning plays, he isn't coming out of the starting line up. I think Arch will want to set the tone defensively to start the game and McRoberts is as smart, good, and aggressive on D as anyone else on the roster.

1 hour ago, IUaic said:

Until McRoberts stops outhustling, outrebounding, out-making the smart game-winning plays, he isn't coming out of the starting line up. I think Arch will want to set the tone defensively to start the game and McRoberts is as smart, good, and aggressive on D as anyone else on the roster.

I don't know how I forgot about Race....do you think Race can fill that position this year (the hustle/banger/rebounder)....I'm not sure if Race develops the way I think he will that there won't be anything McRoberts can give us that Race can't. I know one kinda plays the 3 and the other the 4 but Race seems about as athletic as McRoberts.

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just looking at our roster how does Archie keep everyone happy with playing time. I mean he has a ton of talented young guys and there are only 40 minutes in a game. I worry about guys like Damezi and Moore and Forrester because they seem they could easily get buried on the depth chart. Also if it seems like we recruit over them again with Newman, Brooks, and TJD next year there would seem to be some worry about playing time. That said I think our team could be as talented and deep as we've seen in many years so that's a good thing. I might not be so worried when Juwan isn't on the floor. Question is it good for these kids that probably have ideas of getting to the next level to potentially be splitting up the minutes so much? I know it works in places like UK where kids are one and done but here where our guys will likely need a couple years to develop will it allow for them to break out and be noticed? Again good problem for us to have..unless it leads to kids leaving.

1 hour ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

I would expect to see:

Green                   Phinisee/Durham

Langford              Durham/Green/Anderson/Blackmon

Morgan                 McRoberts/Hunter/Anderson

Smith                    Thompson/Forrester

Fitzner                  Forrester/Davis/Moore

Based on watching last years team, we lacked outside shooting at times.  I think that Langford obviously helps with that. Green and Durham becoming more consistent helps with that and if we use Morgan more at the 3 this year with having other bigs down low we could be pretty good on the perimeter, but if we struggle, I would not be surprised if Blackmon sees the floor for his shooting if his shooting is anywhere near what his brothers' are.  And based on watching him shoot at Hoosier Hysteria last year, he looked like a pretty good shooter from range. (Surprised to see him as a walk-on honestly, along with McRoberts.  I feel our walk-on squad could probably beat any other walk-on squad around)

Based on the Indiana All Star game (only one game so take it for what its worth):

I'd be very disappointed in Green if AP starts.  I think AP will be a great PG for IU in the future but he is still raw as far as a college point guard/leader goes as most freshman who aren't one and done's are.  The good Green is far better as of right now.   AP I think will get there but not this year but he should be a serviceable backup to Green if the good Green shows up this year.  Also based on the Indiana/UK all star game, I'm not expecting much out of Anderson this year.  I think he may become a special player for us as an upper class-man but not looking for much out of him this year.  I am hoping I am actually wrong about this one because I love this kid, but based on what I saw at the all-star game, I just don't see it happening for him this year.  I compare him to last year's team as in-between of Smith and Moore (not skill set but as far as playing time and effectiveness/contribution on the court)  

I loved what I saw from Thompson last year at Hoosier Hysteria.  I wish he would have not red-shirted last year but am grateful now that he did.  Really looking forward to him. 

I have not seen Hunter or Forrester play (and I'm not one to watch highlight tapes as they can be very misleading at times) but have heard great things from you all about them so my hopes are high but my expectations are unknown at this time.

Durham is way ahead of RP at this point.  

27 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Durham is way ahead of RP at this point.  

Thanks...that is the type of information I was looking for! Really appreciate it! PG is a very tough position to come right in and play. I would think Robert will see his time creep up as the year goes along but would likely not see a lot of playing time for awhile (kinda like Durham didn't last year). Thank you!

2 hours ago, IUaic said:

People also forget he is a walk-on by choice. He was a scholarship D1 player at a decent program. 

46 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

0708, does that mean RP isn't as good as expected or has Al just gotten tons better?

Al is good, he’s improved his shooting a ton.  Kids a worker.  Not at all a dis on RP, he’s only 18 and will be really good.  Tough to beat experience.

18 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Al is good, he’s improved his shooting a ton.  Kids a worker.  Not at all a dis on RP, he’s only 18 and will be really good.  Tough to beat experience.

I think Al would have an advantage. He played with a good IQ. Took care of the ball. He just didn't play "fast" which along with his shot was more a confidence thing. I would think that a year under his belt and the strength and work he has put in would give him a definite advantage over Robert. Just physically he has an advantage that Robert will have to get used to going up against D1 and B1G foes night in and out. I think Robert will make a huge leap this year to next...but definitely see where you are coming from!

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don't know how I forgot about Race....do you think Race can fill that position this year (the hustle/banger/rebounder)....I'm not sure if Race develops the way I think he will that there won't be anything McRoberts can give us that Race can't. I know one kinda plays the 3 and the other the 4 but Race seems about as athletic as McRoberts.

I don't know enough about Race to really comment, but I do hope he can be the hustle/banger/gritty rebounder as you have said. As you said, they are different players, but I see McRoberts being a better perimeter defender and hoping Race can be a strong post defender.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Do you think we can expect anything from Moore or Forrester this season?  I would think it would spell the end for Clifton if Jake somehow beat him out on the depth chart.

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

What about ball-handling and distributing?  Has Durham made the major improvements he needed to make in those point guard skills?

Archived