Caleb Love Commits to North Carolina

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t try to read anything into it other than he is close to making a decision and both parties have moved on. Kid has said and done nothing wrong so no hard feelings. More than likely one of his top schools is getting impatient and leaning on him to commit soon or show an act of good faith by canceling visits or they might move on. Or maybe he has a big test on Monday so he needs to study.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t try to read anything into it other than he is close to making a decision and both parties have moved on. Kid has said and done nothing wrong so no hard feelings. More than likely one of his top schools is getting impatient and leaning on him to commit soon or show an act of good faith by canceling visits or they might move on. Or maybe he has a big test on Monday so he needs to study.

I would say he will be a Tar Heel

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Not really wrong, no...it was just the vibe he gave me.  He seemed to expect to choose a team already at the top of the heap.  I never could really warm up to this prospect as he only seemed modestly interested in IU.  I want kids that sounds like Geronimo...he's genuinely excited about being at IU.  Didn't act like he's doing IU a big favor by considering them.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Not really wrong, no...it was just the vibe he gave me.  He seemed to expect to choose a team already at the top of the heap.  I never could really warm up to this prospect as he only seemed modestly interested in IU.  I want kids that sounds like Geronimo...he's genuinely excited about being at IU.  Didn't act like he's doing IU a big favor by considering them.

I basically said this about Love a couple of months ago for the second time most disagreed with what I said probably because of his star ranking

1 minute ago, Cutter said:

I basically said this about Love a couple of months ago for the second time most disagreed with what I said probably because of his star ranking

I'm all for giving a kid considering IU a chance and IU definitely did that.  I don't mind giving an honest assessment once he's no longer a consideration though.  It's not like he was trashing IU or anything but when I read "...Only thing with them, they are going to try and get pieces around me and we will go from there...” I lost a lot of interest because he seemed pretty disinterested in the talent IU had assembled and what CAM is trying to build.  That's his right and I get it.  He made a statement that he's not interested in being a program builder.  At that point, I was ready to mentally move on regardless of his talent.  I want kids who want to come to IU and make themselves AND the program better.  Lots of talent, but I just didn't see him as a great match for what IU is trying to do with the basketball program.

Good luck, Caleb...plunger up!!!

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm all for giving a kid considering IU a chance and IU definitely did that.  I don't mind giving an honest assessment once he's no longer a consideration though.  It's not like he was trashing IU or anything but when I read "...Only thing with them, they are going to try and get pieces around me and we will go from there...” I lost a lot of interest because he seemed pretty disinterested in the talent IU had assembled and what CAM is trying to build.  That's his right and I get it.  He made a statement that he's not interested in being a program builder.  At that point, I was ready to mentally move on regardless of his talent.  I want kids who want to come to IU and make themselves AND the program better.  Lots of talent, but I just didn't see him as a great match for what IU is trying to do with the basketball program.

Good luck, Caleb...plunger up!!!

Love said over a year ago UNC is his dream school. Writing was on the wall then. It is nice to get hopes up mine were fulfilled by Galloway, Leal and the unexpected fast commitment of Geronimo might turn out well . I am glad the obvious showed through on Terrance Clark are chances were slim to none and turned out to be true. With the big name recruits from out of state it is not giving them a chance at IU it is them giving us a chance to just recruit them . If we have some winning seasons maybe just maybe that will turn around. I think if the Garcia kid commits that will be very fortunate for us but I don’t think it will be a trend soon if ever from out of state five stars. I am all in on the Indiana kids for IU so I guess every fan has a so called wish list. Of course it doesn’t matter what most of us think it’s just a good place to ramble

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I prefer kids who intend to come in and make IU winners, personally. Kids with the vision to make a difference.

Kids who intend to come in inheriting a championship roster?

Meh.

You might prefer but kids want to play for winning programs. Archie might pull the Indiana kids for a while but he won't get any top out of state kids until we start making deep NCAA runs. You only have a few years to sell a vision to these Indiana kids until they start saying I want to play for a winner not in the NIT.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I don’t get this. The kid has shown more interest then a host of others Archie has recruited. Yes I think he wanted to play on a successful team. Yes I think he wanted to see what Archie could do to put other play makers around him to help him win and also help him look good. Nothing wrong with that. Agreed loved Jordan’s personality but once you get into 5* talent these kids have different goals and it’s just about aligning with them. I thought it was a long shot to begin with but I got no hard feelings...I think we are a couple more years away from OAD recruits finding IU a destination. We are building it...when it happens we will both be happy..players and team to have that elite talent coming in and it will benefit everyone. Nothing wrong with a mercenary for hire that supplements our core strength of kids that love the program. Once those kids get here...they will buy in...they can’t help but love us!

3 hours ago, Cutter said:

Love said over a year ago UNC is his dream school. Writing was on the wall then. It is nice to get hopes up mine were fulfilled by Galloway, Leal and the unexpected fast commitment of Geronimo might turn out well . I am glad the obvious showed through on Terrance Clark are chances were slim to none and turned out to be true. With the big name recruits from out of state it is not giving them a chance at IU it is them giving us a chance to just recruit them . If we have some winning seasons maybe just maybe that will turn around. I think if the Garcia kid commits that will be very fortunate for us but I don’t think it will be a trend soon if ever from out of state five stars. I am all in on the Indiana kids for IU so I guess every fan has a so called wish list. Of course it doesn’t matter what most of us think it’s just a good place to ramble

You get enough coming in...eventually one will stick. Look we could be like Butler or Purdue’s and not even get a seat at the table. While we keep taking shots as long as Archie doesn’t ignore the best at home we will be ok. That said we aren’t winning a championship or even probably a B1G title on Indiana kids alone. Perhaps if we land Garcia and Lander we will see some of those 5* start looking at us like they do UNC or Kansas. I’m pleased Archie has been able to get a seat at the table. Big thing is unlike other Indians coaches he is taking care of the homefront while going out chasing the unicorns.

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Late summer topic?

I bet you can easily construct rosters of all Indiana kids over the last 20 or 30 years that would win championship after championship.

Anyone  want to take a stab?

That’s speculation. Even if we landed the very very best it’s impossible to know so while I don’t mind seeing how good a team that could be built there is no way to know if they would win it all. There are hundreds of reasons and dozens of Indiana kids with no interest in IU even if we promised them starting minutes etc. All I meant is that even the best Knight teams and Champions had key contributors from outside Indiana.

39 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t get this. The kid has shown more interest then a host of others Archie has recruited. Yes I think he wanted to play on a successful team. Yes I think he wanted to see what Archie could do to put other play makers around him to help him win and also help him look good. Nothing wrong with that. Agreed loved Jordan’s personality but once you get into 5* talent these kids have different goals and it’s just about aligning with them. I thought it was a long shot to begin with but I got no hard feelings...I think we are a couple more years away from OAD recruits finding IU a destination. We are building it...when it happens we will both be happy..players and team to have that elite talent coming in and it will benefit everyone. Nothing wrong with a mercenary for hire that supplements our core strength of kids that love the program. Once those kids get here...they will buy in...they can’t help but love us!

You and I could have one of those Scott arguments here because I don't see what you're seeing either. I saw a kid who showed a little interest but never really sounded excited about Indiana when asked. No harm either way. I just wasn't sold on him having any real passion for Indiana basketball and that kind of kid, even when very talented, is not someone I can get really interested in. He just was not sold on the vision and when they're not, I have a hard time being excited about them as a recruit.

What you're saying sounds like the guy proposing to the hot girl with "Marry me! You'll learn to love me later!"  Different strokes I guess but that's not for me.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

You might prefer but kids want to play for winning programs. Archie might pull the Indiana kids for a while but he won't get any top out of state kids until we start making deep NCAA runs. You only have a few years to sell a vision to these Indiana kids until they start saying I want to play for a winner not in the NIT.

Of course kids want to play for winning programs. I simply prefer the ones that say..."...and I can help make you a winner!"

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You and I could have one of those Scott arguments here because I don't see what you're seeing either. I saw a kid who showed a little interest but never really sounded excited about Indiana when asked. No harm either way. I just wasn't sold on him having any real passion for Indiana basketball and that kind of kid, even when very talented, is not someone I can get really interested in. He just was not sold on the vision and when they're not, I have a hard time being excited about them as a recruit.

What you're saying sounds like the guy proposing to the hot girl with "Marry me! You'll learn to love me later!"  Different strokes I guess but that's not for me.

Scott argument?

Wow, Scott has solidified his status of an HSN legend. When you have terms named in your honor, you have made an impression.

He is up there with 5fouls now.

"My wife and I finally called it quits. we decided to get a 5fouls,"

Scott and fouls are HSN living legends, I tell ya!

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Scott argument?

Wow, Scott has solidified his status of an HSN legend. When you have terms named in your honor, you have made an impression.

He is up there with 5fouls now.

"My wife and I finally called it quits. we decided to get a 5fouls,"

Scott and fouls are HSN living legends, I tell ya!

There's an attorney in the area that named his yacht after me.  

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

No worries. Nothing to get excited either way. I just didn’t get the negativity...kinda similar to the negativity around Lester Q awhile back. I mean people act like they are disrespecting our school when they open up and talk about what their goals are. Every kid wants a situation that fits them. Leal/Galloway all of them. I mean a bunch of kids won’t even return a call but at least this kid let us give our pitch and must have been won over to somewhat to even keep considering us. I guess I sense a small amount of animosity from some (no one particular) once the kid didnt say he grew up an IU fan and shot hoops in a Calbert Chaney jersey. Then especially when he now moved on in his recruitment. I just think we should be open minded about what drives kids...especially elite nba talented kids and realize they have different priorities then many other traditional kids but that doesn’t make them bad...or not committed to winning or their team. To get back to the final four we are going to need a handful of those kids to build our program along with the other foundational building blocks. That’s all. No worries I get what you are saying...I just think in today’s NCAA environment...we are going to need to loosen up our expectations.

IMO we need to build the foundation and get this team a core of 3-4 year players who are here to play tough and win.  We’ve done that to some extent but Caleb Love’s attitude never meshed with what we need right now.  If we build from the ground up, that’s how you get good and stay good because you will have experience year in, year out.  If Archie bypasses this foundational step, he may not be here for very long.  

Sprinkling the occasional one and done talent—so long as the foundational pieces stay in tact—is perfectly fine in time.  But if you do it poorly, that’s how you end up with 18-15 records.  We have to stop making those mistakes. 

Beyond that, I hope like heck that Archie starts coaching these guys harder.  I don’t buy the notion that kids today are delicate pieces of China.  Some may be, and those guys should not be here.  I hope Archie gets on them and there are consequences, including using the bench heavily, going forward. Archie may be tough minded but we need a roster like that and who have the toughness needed.   

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

You get enough coming in...eventually one will stick. Look we could be like Butler or Purdue’s and not even get a seat at the table. While we keep taking shots as long as Archie doesn’t ignore the best at home we will be ok. That said we aren’t winning a championship or even probably a B1G title on Indiana kids alone. Perhaps if we land Garcia and Lander we will see some of those 5* start looking at us like they do UNC or Kansas. I’m pleased Archie has been able to get a seat at the table. Big thing is unlike other Indians coaches he is taking care of the homefront while going out chasing the unicorns.

We have landed a 5 star each of the last 2 years. The process you described started with Romeo .

Archived