Caleb Love Commits to North Carolina

4 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

We'll be in a much better spot to land OTHER good out of state players in the future, but maybe not Caleb Love this time. IU is just not that good enough to go head to head against other top 10 programs, let alone top 5 programs of all time. If it's recruiting an in-state kid, we may have an edge.

Just messing with you. I knew what you meant. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I had to google that to see what was up.  It's a very interesting story.  Toronto was in a playoff push and needed the W.  They were up by double digits but it started to rain.  So, the players were trying to push through as fast as possible.  Notice the guy on deck also ran to the plate.  

So, the Yankee pitcher should have thrown way inside. Would have been humorous watching the batters try to swing at pitches while also ducking them.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Official visit to IU on September 12th. 

5 stars visiting campus in the fall. Things could be worse. Can't imagine him using one of his officials to us if there wasn't at least some interest. Hopefully he can get out of town before Ohio St fans invade on Saturday morning. 

10 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

Interesting that Arizona was the one school in his final six not to get an official visit. Also interesting that he's spending an extra day on campus at UNC and Louisville...

Well after a late night with the girls in the Ville he probably needs a day to recover and UNC probably needs an extra day for paper work seeing as no one is smart enough to take a legit class there.

All in all while it may be a long shot I think it’s safe to say that the death of Archie’s recruiting ability is much exaggerated...landing the best instate kids and getting top 100s and 5 stars on official visits. He can recruit. Now...can he coach...I think so.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Well after a late night with the girls in the Ville he probably needs a day to recover and UNC probably needs an extra day for paper work seeing as no one is smart enough to take a legit class there.

All in all while it may be a long shot I think it’s safe to say that the death of Archie’s recruiting ability is much exaggerated...landing the best instate kids and getting top 100s and 5 stars on official visits. He can recruit. Now...can he coach...I think so.

Getting OVs is meaningless without a commitment.

7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Getting OVs is meaningless without a commitment.

Not so sure about that. While I agree with part of the premise....getting OVs from 5 star types creates a perception and can lead to other recruits taking notice. We'll never know for certain but Romeo saying yes to IU basically told the state's best players it's ok to head to IU. I don't think we get TJD without Romeo and TJD has certainly been as active of a recruiter as anyone in helping us get Franklin, Leal, Galloway,etc...

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Not so sure about that. While I agree with part of the premise....getting OVs from 5 star types creates a perception and can lead to other recruits taking notice. We'll never know for certain but Romeo saying yes to IU basically told the state's best players it's ok to head to IU. I don't think we get TJD without Romeo and TJD has certainly been as active of a recruiter as anyone in helping us get Franklin, Leal, Galloway,etc...

An OV from a five star is never a bad thing as far as perception goes, but I think the impact is pretty negligible without a commitment.  Is Love’s visit to Mizzou going to create a perception that they’re a destination for elite recruits?

And I totally agree with your points about Romeo and TJD, but again, those guys actually committed to IU.

13 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Archie’s finally in a good spot to take some Hail Marys if you will.  

No and I’m fine with it tbh. But there are certainly times when you don’t waste your time recruiting a kid. Like that kid whose brother just got hired by OSU. If any of the other schools are still wasting resources on him I would be shocked. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

No and I’m fine with it tbh. But there are certainly times when you don’t waste your time recruiting a kid. Like that kid whose brother just got hired by OSU. If any of the other schools are still wasting resources on him I would be shocked. 

It's like last year or 2 years ago when Beilein hired Yelich because of family connection to 5 star PG DJ Carton....and he still ends up at Ohio St. Sometimes you have to swing the bat. 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

That’s hardly the same situation connections=\= blood

Of course not...but the premise of this is 5 star recruitment. You swing the bat. Beilein hired Yelich because he was best friends with Mom/Dad growing up. Blood? No. But as close as it gets so I don't think the word "hardly" applies.

Gotta act like you belong. 

if we want to play at the big boy table, then we need to be there regardless. Unless a kid directly tells CAM not to recruit him, he needs to be in on as many elite level kids as possible. With these types of kids, appearances and associations are important. If we act like we don't deserve their interest, we'll never capture it.

55 minutes ago, Indykev said:

We have been on this kid a long time. Don't kid yourselves, this will be a swing and miss if Archie doesn't get this kid. We weren't late to the dance on this one.

The best hitters in baseball are successful about 30% of the time.  You can either embrace that reality or be upset 70% of the time.

Archived