Caleb Love Commits to North Carolina

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

No worries. Nothing to get excited either way. I just didn’t get the negativity...kinda similar to the negativity around Lester Q awhile back. I mean people act like they are disrespecting our school when they open up and talk about what their goals are. Every kid wants a situation that fits them. Leal/Galloway all of them. I mean a bunch of kids won’t even return a call but at least this kid let us give our pitch and must have been won over to somewhat to even keep considering us. I guess I sense a small amount of animosity from some (no one particular) once the kid didnt say he grew up an IU fan and shot hoops in a Calbert Chaney jersey. Then especially when he now moved on in his recruitment. I just think we should be open minded about what drives kids...especially elite nba talented kids and realize they have different priorities then many other traditional kids but that doesn’t make them bad...or not committed to winning or their team. To get back to the final four we are going to need a handful of those kids to build our program along with the other foundational building blocks. That’s all. No worries I get what you are saying...I just think in today’s NCAA environment...we are going to need to loosen up our expectations.

You may well be right...who knows. I'm just concerned IU gets another Noah Vonleh...talented kid that just didn't mesh with the team around him and they went nowhere.  Sure, we were all glad to have Noah at the time and I still appreciate him choosing IU, but I think most would say today that it simply wasn't a good fit at the time.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

You may well be right...who knows. I'm just concerned IU gets another Noah Vonleh...talented kid that just didn't mesh with the team around him and they went nowhere.  Sure, we were all glad to have Noah at the time and I still appreciate him choosing IU, but I think most would say today that it simply wasn't a good fit at the time.

i would say he didn't "fit" because of crean

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Good point. I just didn't get that vibe from Caleb. You also have to look at it from his point of view. If he goes to IU with no help around him...no one to pass to, no one to get him open looks, and no one to help take the focus of the defense off him then it would definitely hurt his draft status. Romeo he is not. If he got Romeo attention from opponents he is going to struggle to play his best basketball. He just wanted a team that could complement his skills so that he and the team could benefit from his talent. We just simply aren't there yet...at least in his mind. No problem. He goes to UNC perhaps and he is surrounded by good players and that frees him up to play his style and to not be the focus of the defense so he make the most of his skills and hopefully get himself to the NBA. Honestly, I don't think it will be UNC. I think it will be Louisville. UNC is pretty tight with Bryce Thompson a 6'5 guard (I think his dad played at UNC). I think they land a more traditional pg to go next to him (maybe Cam Hayes-you know Roy likes top 50 recruits who will stick around for a couple years). Anyways I'm not so sure Caleb is a lock to UNC.

23 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Vonleh didn't fit the program because his head was in the clouds, he lacked commitment, and didn't have any semblance of synergy with his teammates, especially the lead guard.  He didn't have enough around him but he wasn't an aircraft carrier type of player anyway.  

He had his faults, as do we all, but I feel obliged to point out that he was one of the best rebounders in program history.  And that helped immensely because, if memory serves, Yogi was the only outside shooter who wasn't continually throwing up bricks.

7 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

He had his faults, as do we all, but I feel obliged to point out that he was one of the best rebounders in program history.  And that helped immensely because, if memory serves, Yogi was the only outside shooter who wasn't continually throwing up bricks.

Yep.  That team really lacked shooters.  Last years team was a painfully reminiscent of that Vonleh team (something that should never happen, IMO).

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I think Vonleh gets a really bad rap from IU fans, largely because of how it ended, which I completely understand fans not liking that. But that teams faults lie on Tom Crean, not Noah Vonleh. Vonleh was excellent, but the team was horribly constructed, had no leadership and the guards were awful. That team had guys like Evan Gordon and Stan Robinson jacking up bricks while Vonleh would be wide open on the block. That was a more defensive minded team that should have played slower and working through the post, instead Crean had then running and gunning, turning the ball over half the time and jacking up brick 3's the other half. 

I don't like how he sat out at the end of the season, it's not something I would have done, but that team's failure wasn't his fault IMO. 

10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Vonleh didn't fit the program because his head was in the clouds, he lacked commitment, and didn't have any semblance of synergy with his teammates, especially the lead guard.  He didn't have enough around him but he wasn't an aircraft carrier type of player anyway.  

his coach was inept

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think Vonleh gets a really bad rap from IU fans, largely because of how it ended, which I completely understand fans not liking that. But that teams faults lie on Tom Crean, not Noah Vonleh. Vonleh was excellent, but the team was horribly constructed, had no leadership and the guards were awful. That team had guys like Evan Gordon and Stan Robinson jacking up bricks while Vonleh would be wide open on the block. That was a more defensive minded team that should have played slower and working through the post, instead Crean had then running and gunning, turning the ball over half the time and jacking up brick 3's the other half. 

I don't like how he sat out at the end of the season, it's not something I would have done, but that team's failure wasn't his fault IMO. 

crean coached a defensive minded team? not on your life. also, there were no coaches on staff that knew how to develop a big man. no big man under crean got significantly better during his time at indiana

26 minutes ago, coachv said:

crean coached a defensive minded team? not on your life. also, there were no coaches on staff that knew how to develop a big man. no big man under crean got significantly better during his time at indiana

Poorly worded, the players were more defensive players, it should have been a slow, defensive minded team, not a fast, up and down team. The staff didn’t have to develop Vonleh, he was a stud when he arrived. 

10 hours ago, coachv said:

I think Bryant got somewhat better...but seeing his leap to the NBA is why some kids go early instead of staying. If anyone says he would get this much better had he stayed at IU instead of getting proper training in the NBA I think they are kidding themselves. I agree our big man coaching has mostly been poor and their improvement has come from mostly their own efforts and skills. I hear Roberts is suppose to be good with bigs. Hopefully he helps.

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Poorly worded, the players were more defensive players, it should have been a slow, defensive minded team, not a fast, up and down team. The staff didn’t have to develop Vonleh, he was a stud when he arrived. 

And that is why so many of Creans teams were horribly constructed. Mismatch to the way he played. It’s a bad idea to play small and not be good shooters...on top of that poor ball handlers and decision makers. If I saw another IU kid immediately drive to the corner, leave his feet with nowhere to go or voluntarily drive to the baseline with no where to go ended in turnover after turnover I would probably slit my wrist. We did have some kids that had athleticism and talent to be great defenders but I’m sure they never learned how to play team defense. Almost like Crean recruited the kids he thought had potential then rolled the ball out and said now win games. (I know that isn’t what happened but as unprepared and poor fundamentals they had it made me think that). I do appreciate that Archie plays with a defensive minded approach and the kids he is brining in here. Rob, Romeo, Leal, Galloway all have great basketball IQ and I think good fundamentals.

13 hours ago, BGleas said:

yes, they did. if he was a "stud" who needed no coaching he wouldn't have spent years stuck on the bench in the nba

21 hours ago, coachv said:

yes, they did. if he was a "stud" who needed no coaching he wouldn't have spent years stuck on the bench in the nba

I don’t know what his being on the bench in the NBA has anything to do with it? He averaged 11 and 9, shooting 52% from the field and 48% from 3, while leading the Big Ten in rebounding. How many freshmen have led the Big Ten in rebounding? 

It’s also kind of funny how IU can’t develop bigs and Purdue is ‘Big Man U’, yet how are the below players doing in pro ball and where are they playing?

IU: Zeller, Vonleh, Bryant

Purdue: Hammons, Swanigan, Haas

I realize the moniker is probably more about how they were used in college, but IU’s recent list is pretty impressive and while we can complain about development, those three guys were great players in college. It’s hard to develop a guy in 1 year and much easier to point to growth when a guy is with you for 4 years. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know what his being on the bench in the NBA has anything to do with it? He averaged 11 and 9, shooting 52% from the field and 48% from 3, while leading the Big Ten in rebounding. How many freshmen have led the Big Ten in rebounding? 

nevermind

• 3 weeks later...
  • KDB changed the title to Caleb Love Commits to North Carolina

Archived