2019 DJ Jeffries decommits from Kentucky

2019 6’7 small forward has decommited from Kentucky.  Word is he is a strong lean to Memphis already.  Does anyone else find it odd the love affair recruits seem to be having with Anfernee Hardaway, when he hasn’t coached the first game, and will coach a team in an afterthought of a basketball conference???  Yes, I’ve heard the Mike Miller babbling too, about what a great assistant he’ll be, but, hello?  Being a former basketball player is not a mathematical certainty of being a good head coach.  Will be interesting to see what happens.  All the interest seems odd, cough, here’s an envelope with some money.  

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

2019 6’7 small forward has decommited from Kentucky.  Word is he is a strong lean to Memphis already.  Does anyone else find it odd the love affair recruits seem to be having with Anfernee Hardaway, when he hasn’t coached the first game, and will coach a team in an afterthought of a basketball conference???  Yes, I’ve heard the Mike Miller babbling too, about what a great assistant he’ll be, but, hello?  Being a former basketball player is not a mathematical certainty of being a good head coach.  Will be interesting to see what happens.  All the interest seems odd, cough, here’s an envelope with some money.  

Hardaway has been a very successful AAU coach, his name and NBA resume go a long away with kids. This isn't Chris Mullin trying to revamp St. Johns. Hardaway is young enough to relate to kids, came from nothing like most of his recruits and can sell his knowledge on knowing what it takes to make it. I don't know how this is such a surprise to people. Go be just one of a plethora of 5 star talent playing for a total dbag who's focus is building his brand while stroking his own ego versus go play for a guy who's going to build a team around you and focus on getting you to the NBA. The irony is that it was Cal himself who proved you can get to the NBA while playing at Memphis. 

Again - from Memphis, Hardaway was recruited exactly for this.  His HS team won nationals 2/3 years he was there, and his AAU team had more 5 stars than 3 stars.  He's been in the high-school game for years now, and he has MIke Miller next to him recruiting as well.  We don't want to battle with Memphis in recruiting, but I don't think we'll have much a problem with them on the court for a while.  

I have it on good authority (not really )... that it was UK's new uni's that caused Jeffries to become the first player to decommit during the Calipari era at UK. Was overheard to say : "I don't look good in black."

0A0BB896-5BB8-4A58-83BF-DAE834953F39.jpg

Picture courtesy of KSR

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

UK is on the verge of adding some very good wing players and Jeffries saw that + has an outstanding relationship elsewhere (as noted). 

Seems to work well for both sides. 

Yes. He committed pretty early...with John getting heavily invested in the kid out of Illinois I think DJ realized he wasn't going to be a priority for that program as he thought. Thing was I believe he committed before Hardaway became the Memphis coach and before Miller came on there. It seems natural then given his relationship already that he would want to go play for him. Cal is a great recruiter...but I don't know why their fan base is shocked when a kid leaves early even when he would benefit from sticking around or why they transfer. Sometimes a kid wants a commitment from the coach too. You take a 5 star recruit and then you go out and immediately in the same class start recruiting over him..that isn't always going to sit well for every kid....throw in his relationship to the new Memphis staff....this was inevitable. I think what people down here are worried about now is that this is a pretty good sign that Wiseman will also be going to Memphis. If Hardaway does well that could lock down a pretty nice recruiting area that could easily put pressure on other teams to find talent elsewhere. Seems like Hardaway could be off to a good start...he will need some good guards but he seems to be in on a lot of top 60 PF/C.

18 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Me thinks Cal needs to learn how to coach the x’s and o’s. Can accumulate all the talent he wants, but lack of experience and coaching burns him every year. 

10th season coming up for PayPal and 1 title to show for it. Granted I'd take the Final 4's all day long but given the insane amount of talent that has been there no way any realistic UK fan ( the 2 or 3 that exist) can't be a little disappointed. I think they were thinking Saban results. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

10th season coming up for PayPal and 1 title to show for it. Granted I'd take the Final 4's all day long but given the insane amount of talent that has been there no way any realistic UK fan ( the 2 or 3 that exist) can't be a little disappointed. I think they were thinking Saban results. 

Exactly, and thanks to an upperclassman in Darius Miller they beat us in the Sweet 16 the year they won it. They’ve had the top recruiting class 10 years in a row right? One title is pretty pathetic IMO with all the talent they’ve had.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yes...two programs I can't stand...I use that illustration all the time when people talk about how great UK is down here. I tell them Saban recruits football the same way you recruit basketball and he has won 5 championships in about the same amount of time as Cal has been at UK. Basically every other year. Problem with that illustration is that a majority of UK basketball fans down here are Alabama football fans. They think both are great and root for both of them. I don't know why....well I do know why but it's pretty sad they don't support their school...just their basketball. I don't know if that tells you much about them but it speaks volumes to me.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes...two programs I can't stand...I use that illustration all the time when people talk about how great UK is down here. I tell them Saban recruits football the same way you recruit basketball and he has won 5 championships in about the same amount of time as Cal has been at UK. Basically every other year. Problem with that illustration is that a majority of UK basketball fans down here are Alabama football fans. They think both are great and root for both of them. I don't know why....well I do know why but it's pretty sad they don't support their school...just their basketball. I don't know if that tells you much about them but it speaks volumes to me.

Almost like an IU basketball fan and Notre Da...

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

As a life long and die hard Hurricanes fan I still get ticked at Saban. He's backed into a few titles with 1 loss or more. My Canes had 2-3 titles (opportunity of) taken away from them because of the hatred for them. That part I can deal with but now we have a system in place that seems to have rewarded Saban with being in a strong/biased conference....where as when the Canes lost once they were done. No questions asked.

My apologies. Not a fan of Saban. 

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

As a life long and die hard Hurricanes fan I still get ticked at Saban. He's backed into a few titles with 1 loss or more. My Canes had 2-3 titles (opportunity of) taken away from them because of the hatred for them. That part I can deal with but now we have a system in place that seems to have rewarded Saban with being in a strong/biased conference....where as when the Canes lost once they were done. No questions asked.

My apologies. Not a fan of Saban. 

Glad someone else sees this about Saban as well. He has taken care of business when gifted the opportunity,  but I still have a hard time with a team that failed to win their division title, and didn't even PLAY for their conference championship,  playing to be called NATIONAL  champion.  I guess it's not his fault for playing the hand ESPN helps deal him.  Rant over.

"It's something I think about because Penny and I have been so close for these years, and I've built a good relationship with him," he said. "Even when I committed to Kentucky he would still reach out to me and help me with certain stuff to motivate me to do better. So Memphis would be one of the schools I'd consider

Anyone else have a problem with a coach calling a committed player from another school.

12 minutes ago, Indykev said:

"It's something I think about because Penny and I have been so close for these years, and I've built a good relationship with him," he said. "Even when I committed to Kentucky he would still reach out to me and help me with certain stuff to motivate me to do better. So Memphis would be one of the schools I'd consider

Anyone else have a problem with a coach calling a committed player from another school.

I'll bet PayPal Cal does, but if that is tampering, so was his call to Terrence Jones after Jones announced for UW.

I prefer to think of it as karma for the crap Cal has pulled in the past.

14 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Almost like an IU basketball fan and Notre Da...

I disagree completely.  Many of the IU basketball/Notre Dame football fans became that way because when we grew up with only 3 or 4 tv channels both of those schools games were always on. I have a hard time believing that in Kentucky the UK basketball and Alabama football were the only options.

10 hours ago, Indykev said:

Just asking because i dont know the answer. Is it an issue for an AAU coach to contact his committed player?. Was it Penny the Memphis coach or Penny the AAU coach? To me there is a big difference. Any thing that screws UK AND CAL is fine by me

Archived