2019 DJ Jeffries decommits from Kentucky

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I disagree completely.  Many of the IU basketball/Notre Dame football fans became that way because when we grew up with only 3 or 4 tv channels both of those schools games were always on. I have a hard time believing that in Kentucky the UK basketball and Alabama football were the only options.

Yes, I am well aware of the reversible jacket fans' excuses.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

So as a 6 year old kid i was supposed to know that IU had a football team. One that i could never see play on tv or live and yet i need to be a fan of that team.   Once cable came along out in rhe boonies guess what i folliwed iu football became a fan. But did not stop rooting for the team i spent the previous 10 years watching.

I apologize that i dont live in your world where fandom has 1 set of rules and everything else is an excuse.

Ps i also grew up a Cowboys fan and Lakers why because i loved sports and those teams were always on tv. I own 2 reversible jackets lots of excuses and proud of it

2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Yeah, I don’t think you or IUScott have any business insinuating that somebody is any less of a IU basketball fan because they grew up a college football fan of a different school. I grew up in Central KY and was a huge IU basketball fan bc my father grew up in Evansville a big Knight / IU fan. He wasnt a football fan in general 🤷🏼‍♂️ so that diminishes my fandom bc I don’t care about IU football? Get real man. I can assure you that you are no more “in the know” or more passionate than I am about IU basketball simply bc I don’t care about IU football or may root for a different team. Where does this sense of superiority come from?  

3 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah, I don’t think you or IUScott have any business insinuating that somebody is any less of a IU basketball fan because they grew up a college football fan of a different school. I grew up in Central KY and was a huge IU basketball fan bc my father grew up in Evansville a big Knight / IU fan. He wasnt a football fan in general 🤷🏼‍♂️ so that diminishes my fandom bc I don’t care about IU football? Get real man. I can assure you that you are no more “in the know” or more passionate than I am about IU basketball simply bc I don’t care about IU football or may root for a different team. Where does this sense of superiority come from?  

That's quite a leap you made. Maybe take another read through the thread and see if anyone's basketball fandom was questioned.

12 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

That's quite a leap you made. Maybe take another read through the thread and see if anyone's basketball fandom was questioned.

No, I don’t think it’s a leap at all. I mean, I guess you could just be saying it’s odd, but that doesn’t fit the sarcastic tone of your post. You’re certainly welcome to attempt a different meaning for your comment though. I’ll apologize if I took it wrong. 

42 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

So as a 6 year old kid i was supposed to know that IU had a football team. One that i could never see play on tv or live and yet i need to be a fan of that team.   Once cable came along out in rhe boonies guess what i folliwed iu football became a fan. But did not stop rooting for the team i spent the previous 10 years watching.

I apologize that i dont live in your world where fandom has 1 set of rules and everything else is an excuse.

Ps i also grew up a Cowboys fan and Lakers why because i loved sports and those teams were always on tv. I own 2 reversible jackets lots of excuses and proud of it

I lived in a small town of 1,000 people in east central Indiana and did not have cable until 1984 and I still was able to follow IU football as much as I could IU basketball.  To me pro sports is a little different and I to grew up a Cowboys fan until 1984 when the Colts moved to town

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If you are an IU fan in basketball you should be an IU football fan as well and not a Notre Dame football fan.

IU football is hard to get excited about.  A school in the BIG should be able to get a respectable (experienced) coach.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I lived in a small town of 1,000 people in east central Indiana and did not have cable until 1984 and I still was able to follow IU football as much as I could IU basketball.  To me pro sports is a little different and I to grew up a Cowboys fan until 1984 when the Colts moved to town

I grew up in the country and cable also came around in the mid to late 80's.  Prior to cable I did not follow IU football. In fact I would watch Nd football on Saturday and then my cousin and I would watch Sunday morning replay of the game and I would bet him and somehow I always won.

I moved to Bloomington in 1992 at that point I became a big Colts fan. My Dad and I watched a lot of IU basketball and ND football together and after he died when I was 18 I just kept following those 2 schools because of the great memories. My professional allegiance changed because I was close in proximity to the Colts and Pacers and I did not have memories of pro sports with my father. 

So excuse or whatever DJ wants to call it, that is fine by me. Hopefully Dad is smiling down from Heaven in his reversible jacket

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So are you saying you will only be a fan of a team if they are successful

I dont agree with that but unless your parents really influence your team selection them most people tend to follow successful teams. Successful teams are on the national stage more often and more visible.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So are you saying you will only be a fan of a team if they are successful

IU football has been very hard to watch.  I can find better things to do with my fall Saturday's.  Not a huge football fan of any school.  Saturday night football is usually good to watch, however.

36 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I dont agree with that but unless your parents really influence your team selection them most people tend to follow successful teams. Successful teams are on the national stage more often and more visible.

When I was growing up IU football was lucky to be on TV once a year but I did listen to most of the games on the radio.

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

In all honesty Anthony Thompson was my first recollection of IU football.  Only after moving to Bloomington did I learn of the history. 

I remember listening to the IU and Nebraska game in Bloomington in the late 70's where we got blown out.

20 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Almost like an IU basketball fan and Notre Da...

I mean I can understand rooting for teams in your state....but to root for a team that is in the same conference and whoops your home school all the time? I know I will catch some flack but I am a fan of sports. My first love is Indiana University...but if we aren't playing I always root for the other Indiana schools to represent our state. I'm sure I'll get the hate for that but as long as it doesn't affect our team's success I'll root for them. That said I don't own a single piece of clothing/memorabilia for another school nor do I say I'm a Notre Dame or Butler fan etc. I just root for them if they are playing someone else. So to me it would be like being an Indiana fan and then being a Ohio State football fan just because they win a lot.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I mean I can understand rooting for teams in your state....but to root for a team that is in the same conference and whoops your home school all the time? I know I will catch some flack but I am a fan of sports. My first love is Indiana University...but if we aren't playing I always root for the other Indiana schools to represent our state. I'm sure I'll get the hate for that but as long as it doesn't affect our team's success I'll root for them. That said I don't own a single piece of clothing/memorabilia for another school nor do I say I'm a Notre Dame or Butler fan etc. I just root for them if they are playing someone else. So to me it would be like being an Indiana fan and then being a Ohio State football fan just because they win a lot.

Some people grow up with different influences. I grew up with the IU basketball influence from my father, but got the Yankees baseball / Penn St. football influence from my grandfather. It happened WAY before I even knew what college was, so I’m sorry 🤷🏼‍♂️. Root for who you want to, just be consistent with it. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I do most of the schools but not Purdue because I would even root for UK to beat Purdue.  I am not a fan of any other college team but when it comes to tournament time I don't mind if Notre Dame or Butler or any other school besides PU to do well.

47 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Some people grow up with different influences. I grew up with the IU basketball influence from my father, but got the Yankees baseball / Penn St. football influence from my grandfather. It happened WAY before I even knew what college was, so I’m sorry 🤷🏼‍♂️. Root for who you want to, just be consistent with it. 

I agree because one thing I can't stand is when people change teams every couple of years because a certain team is doing well.  I had friends in the early 90's became braves fans when they started winning.  I saw a lot of Bulls fans in the 90's but when Jordan left they no longer are Bulls fans.

23 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

One person can root for whomever to whatever degree they please and the next person can choose their allegiances.

What is the point in comparing?

Yeah I think I started a sh!t storm for complaining about the UK/AL people down here. Basically they ride the hype train. But I agree you should be able to root who you like...but they just so happen to choose the two most winningst college sports programs of all time.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I think I started a sh!t storm for complaining about the UK/AL people down here. Basically they ride the hype train. But I agree you should be able to root who you like...but they just so happen to choose the two most winningst college sports programs of all time.

Exactly. its not like there are any important breaking news headlines in recruiting right now. At least people are discussing something. I hate it when it is a ghost town on the board

Archived