2019 DJ Jeffries decommits from Kentucky

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I think I started a sh!t storm for complaining about the UK/AL people down here. Basically they ride the hype train. But I agree you should be able to root who you like...but they just so happen to choose the two most winningst college sports programs of all time.

What was funny about me never rooting for Purdue because to me they are the biggest rivals to me.  In the 80's when the Russian National team played college teams in exhibitions I rooted for them to beat Purdue.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Exactly. its not like there are any important breaking news headlines in recruiting right now. At least people are discussing something. I hate it when it is a ghost town on the board

It is not like people are being rude to people and bickering back and forth like you see on some sites.

Reversible jacket seems to be a term people are trying to use in a derogatory way. There’s thousands upon thousands of us that grew up Notre Dame football and Indiana basketball fans back in the late 70’s and 80’s when we were kids, because they were the two that dominated our airwaves and influence(neither of my parents were sports fans at all) us as pre teens and teenagers. I’m also an IU football fan and ND basketball fan, while also being a lifelong Lakers, Cowboys, and Dodgers fan. As an 8 year old those were the teams always in my face. I have my two oldest kids that are both going into their second year in the MBA program at ND and will graduate in the same class(2019), my oldest(daughter) is an IU undergrad, and my son is a Western Michigan grad and they’re both(along with my two youngest boys) diehard IU basketball and ND football fans. What i find hilarious is that there are just as many, or close to as many Purdue fans that also like ND football, but they don’t come out of the closet as easy as we do. Bottom line is this, loyalties won’t change for us diehards just because someone chooses to use it in a derogatory way. I also root for all Indiana teams when it comes to tournament time with one exception, and that is purdon’t(they may as well be in Russia).

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What was funny about me never rooting for Purdue because to me they are the biggest rivals to me.  In the 80's when the Russian National team played college teams in exhibitions I rooted for them to beat Purdue.

Your level of Smellermaker hate is right up there with HTD's in the haters hall of fame.  I respect that, but personally, I an indifferent about Purdue vs. pUKe or the Russians.  I don't like either side so I'm satisfied with both sides looking bad.  Don't care much who wins or loses.  Much respect for your dedicated Purdue hatred though.

3 minutes ago, Milosh68 said:

Reversible jacket seems to be a term people are trying to use in a derogatory way. There’s thousands upon thousands of us that grew up Notre Dame football and Indiana basketball fans back in the late 70’s and 80’s when we were kids, because they were the two that dominated our airwaves and influence(neither of my parents were sports fans at all) us as pre teens and teenagers. I’m also an IU football fan and ND basketball fan, while also being a lifelong Lakers, Cowboys, and Dodgers fan. As an 8 year old those were the teams always in my face. I have my two oldest kids that are both going into their second year in the MBA program at ND and will graduate in the same class(2019), my oldest(daughter) is an IU undergrad, and my son is a Western Michigan grad and they’re both(along with my two youngest boys) diehard IU basketball and ND football fans. What i find hilarious is that there are just as many, or close to as many Purdue fans that also like ND football, but they don’t come out of the closet as easy as we do. Bottom line is this, loyalties won’t change for us diehards just because someone chooses to use it in a derogatory way. I also root for all Indiana teams when it comes to tournament time with one exception, and that is purdon’t(they may as well be in Russia).

Very well said.  I admit I am just not a true blood blue I guess like some that only root for 1 school. I guess I will take my reversible jacket and go home.

I've got no problem with anyone's fandom. If they are right beside me cheering on our IU basketball that's all that matters to me at the end of the day. I don't think we have too many fair weather fans! As for DJ....I wish him the best on his journey. Not everyone has a taste for Cal and the way UK runs their program. At the end of the day he owes it to himself and his family to make a decision based on his best interest...and not 2 million of the most entitled basketball fans on the planet.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I think I started a sh!t storm for complaining about the UK/AL people down here. Basically they ride the hype train. But I agree you should be able to root who you like...but they just so happen to choose the two most winningst college sports programs of all time.

Oh. Yeah.

Well, *that* I can agree with.

😜

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If you are an IU fan in basketball you should be an IU football fan as well and not a Notre Dame football fan.

I disagree with this! When my dad was growing up it was Notre Dame football and Indiana basketball therefore that’s all I’ve ever known! Do you think that if I like Indiana basketball I should also like the pacers and the colts only?

27 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I disagree with this! When my dad was growing up it was Notre Dame football and Indiana basketball therefore that’s all I’ve ever known! Do you think that if I like Indiana basketball I should also like the pacers and the colts only?

No, because the Pacers and Colts are independent professional organizations and have nothing to do with college sports where the same university is represented across multiple sports. 

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

No, because the Pacers and Colts are independent professional organizations and have nothing to do with college sports where the same university is represented across multiple sports. 

Does liking ND football make me less of an IU basketball fan? It might make me less of an IU football fan maybe?? In your eyes i must be Satan. I coached a young man that went on to be an all big ten wide receiver at Purdue and you wont believe it but i cheered and supported him. Was very proud of him for going to multiple bowl games and even display a framed autograph jersey of his. To think that i was only allowed to support 1 team.  I truly feel bad.  

The only game i rooted against him was the bucket game. Does that make up for it?

32 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Does liking ND football make me less of an IU basketball fan? It might make me less of an IU football fan maybe?? In your eyes i must be Satan. I coached a young man that went on to be an all big ten wide receiver at Purdue and you wont believe it but i cheered and supported him. Was very proud of him for going to multiple bowl games and even display a framed autograph jersey of his. To think that i was only allowed to support 1 team.  I truly feel bad.  

The only game i rooted against him was the bucket game. Does that make up for it?

It's very telling that you and others in this thread keep asking if this makes you less of an IU basketball fan. Because that's all you identify with, rather than as a fan of Indiana University. That's really the crux of the issue and why there is so much scorn toward people that cherry pick sports teams to root for rather than rooting for a school, taking all that comes with it, whether it be bad or good.

44 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

It's very telling that you and others in this thread keep asking if this makes you less of an IU basketball fan. Because that's all you identify with, rather than as a fan of Indiana University. That's really the crux of the issue and why there is so much scorn toward people that cherry pick sports teams to root for rather than rooting for a school, taking all that comes with it, whether it be bad or good.

Blanket statements are where you lose this argument, or lessen it to a large degree. My social media feeds and follows across the spectrum are of all sports at IU and Notre Dame. I’m not a big fan of women’s basketball at either university but i find myself watching and recording both respectfully. I have 3 TVs set up for when IU football is on at the same time Notre Dame is on. I record IU baseball and actually watch them more than i do ND and I live in Granger,In.about 15 min. from campus. Those are however sports that don’t get a lot of pubcompared to the main two.

48 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I dont think anyone is seriously asking that.  My questions are purely tongue in cheek. My whole point is that there are many reasons why a person chooses certain teams to like. Like i said prior to 1984 i knew zero about IU football.  My Dad and i had a bond watching IU basketball and ND football.  That bond since his death is stronger than my love for IU football.   I support everything about the University thati hold 2 degrees from. What i dislike is when someone takes a cheap shot with the whole reversible jacket comments. Why can a person not fully support 2 football programs? I have attended 50 plus IU football games and only 1 time did i get goose bumps. I have been to 5 ND games and the feel is unbelievable.  The only thing that compares  is the feeling i get when i see the Hoosiers run onto the court at Assembly Hall.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I dont think anyone is seriously asking that.  My questions are purely tongue in cheek. My whole point is that there are many reasons why a person chooses certain teams to like. Like i said prior to 1984 i knew zero about IU football.  My Dad and i had a bond watching IU basketball and ND football.  That bond since his death is stronger than my love for IU football.   I support everything about the University thati hold 2 degrees from. What i dislike is when someone takes a cheap shot with the whole reversible jacket comments. Why can a person not fully support 2 football programs? I have attended 50 plus IU football games and only 1 time did i get goose bumps. I have been to 5 ND games and the feel is unbelievable.  The only thing that compares  is the feeling i get when i see the Hoosiers run onto the court at Assembly Hall.

Those feelings are real, and legit.

3 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

But what if I’m just a fan of IU basketball and not a fan of the school as a whole? I’m from St. Louis I didn’t grow up watching anything IU except basketball! I’m not a bandwagon fan and grew up watching what I knew to watch! College or not I’m rooting for who I’ve rooted for based off of who I liked as a kid from watching with my older family members! 

14 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

To me pro sports is a little different than college sports but if you live in Indy I feel you should be fans of your local team.  I was a cowboys fan before 1984 but once the Colts move to Indy I became a fan of the Colts and pretty much stopped following the Cowboys.  The only time in my life I rooted for a team because of a player was the Lakers because of Magic Johnson but I was still a bigger fan of the Pacers.

Love who you love...whether that is all things IU or just the basketball. Being a fan of IU football I don't think makes anyone a bigger fan of IU basketball than anyone else. It would be pretty silly to question anyone on this board or those going to or watching games and following the team as any bigger a fan than anyone else. I do respect those that are a fan of the whole University. I root for all things IU....soccer, baseball, women's etc....it's my University of choice based on where I live and grew up and because my dad spent over 30 years working in Bloomington and sharing IU basketball with me. So it didn't matter when I was a kid whatever sport I was playing in my back yard it was imaginary IU basketball and football. I didn't go to the University because I got a full ride plus book and food money to go to school at USI in Evansville and that would have been stupid to turn down just to have a different name on my diploma and thousands in student loans. But I can understand why people support ND in football. I root for all Indiana teams....and when IU football is rarely playing in a bowl game it's easy to want to have a team to root on after new years. 

Archived