Never made the NCAAT

That's pretty rough to lose only two games all season long...both to UCLA basically the #1 team in the country and not make a post-season tournament but back then the PAC10 didn't allow their teams to play in a post season tournament if they didn't make the NCAA tourney. So it isn't that they weren't selected...they certainly would have been they were a #1 ranked team for much of the year and probably a top 5 in the country. Things back then were very different. I think Marquette even turned down an NCAA bid to play and win the NIT because they didn't like their seeding....so it was a crazy time.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That's pretty rough to lose only two games all season long...both to UCLA basically the #1 team in the country and not make a post-season tournament but back then the PAC10 didn't allow their teams to play in a post season tournament if they didn't make the NCAA tourney. So it isn't that they weren't selected...they certainly would have been they were a #1 ranked team for much of the year and probably a top 5 in the country. Things back then were very different. I think Marquette even turned down an NCAA bid to play and win the NIT because they didn't like their seeding....so it was a crazy time.

Interesting stuff to talk about for sure.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Interesting stuff to talk about for sure.

I bet...I know Bobby Knight had a real respect for the NIT so it's standing among many coaches in the past was perceived quite differently considering it was still very much an honor to play and win it all given the limited number of teams in the NCAA Tourney. I'm only old enough to really remember going to the 85 championship but I'm sure there are older fans on here that recall a period when it was a huge deal still. Like beating Purdue in 79.

34 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Not easy to get into the dance back then that's for sure.  USC was ranked 5th in the final poll thay year.  Had the tournament let more teams in you have to wonder if UCLA would have won so many titles back then.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Indeed. More games mean more chances to lose...and I'm sure there were many teams in conferences that didn't finish first but perhaps were a better team by the end of the year then the actual conference winner. That said I'm not sure we need more teams in it then we already have now...so sometimes less is more. Besides the NIT has a great legacy and I think its a good tournament for young teams...glad it still is around and serving a good purpose.

Indiana University finished the 1945-1946 season, 9-3 in the B1G.  Secured second place. And was offered an NCAAT bid.  But turned it down, as IU's center Tom Schwartz was inducted into the Army ( yes, back in the day you did not get a choice. Even Elvis Presley was inducted into the Army ). The reason IU turned down the bid was because Schwartz would not be able to play in the NCAAT.  The bid went to OSU, which lost to UNC in the second round. 

2 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Not easy to get into the dance back then that's for sure.  USC was ranked 5th in the final poll thay year.  Had the tournament let more teams in you have to wonder if UCLA would have won so many titles back then.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

They wouldn't have at all.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Indeed. More games mean more chances to lose...and I'm sure there were many teams in conferences that didn't finish first but perhaps were a better team by the end of the year then the actual conference winner. That said I'm not sure we need more teams in it then we already have now...so sometimes less is more. Besides the NIT has a great legacy and I think its a good tournament for young teams...glad it still is around and serving a good purpose.

1973 ACC championship game featured NC. St and Maryland which both were ranked in the top 3.  NC. St won the conference and went o to win the national championship and Maryland did not go tot he tournament.

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_National_Invitation_Tournament

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

1973 ACC championship game featured NC. St and Maryland which both were ranked in the top 3.  NC. St won the conference and went o to win the national championship and Maryland did not go tot he tournament.

That was '74 and instituted the "Maryland Rule".

Archived