Once formal practice starts. What would you like to see Archie working on ?

We weren't great last season, however,  I think 3 point shooting will come around.

Last season IU shot 69% from the free throw line. Totally,  Unacceptable, IMHO.

For me... Archie has got to work on FT shooting.

What would HSN like for Archie to work on ? 

3 point shooting covers many, many mistakes. We already know we'll pound it inside with Juwan/Justin and whoever else is healthy...but if you aren't ready to catch, shoot and run down the court....stay on the bench.

PS...I'm in a mood. I want shooters again. Pure Jordy Hulls guys. 

An Indiana team that can’t shoot is a disgrace. I never want to have another like last years..free throws, from three. I also would like to see us get out in transition better..nothing worse than running a break and not even getting a shot and backing it out to grind away another possession. Finally team rebounding. You hit your free throws, rebound, and get out in transition for easy buckets I don’t think we will lose a lot of games.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

An Indiana team that can’t shoot is a disgrace. I never want to have another like last years..free throws, from three. I also would like to see us get out in transition better..nothing worse than running a break and not even getting a shot and backing it out to grind away another possession. Finally team rebounding. You hit your free throws, rebound, and get out in transition for easy buckets I don’t think we will lose a lot of games.

Basketball is a game of basics.  And certainly you have identified several of those.  It's takes practice. And execution under pressure, IMHO. 

Yet, another great post by you.  Gonna call you, my friend.

Getting back to what I consider to be one of the most basic of all basketball parts.... the free throw.  I will mention the great Valpo High School Coach.... Virgil Sweet.  Who understood the importance of the free throw.  His teams consistently shot 90%, year after year.  That's TEAMS, not individuals.  And wrote a book about the art of free throw shooting.

Coach Sweet's legend continued on at Valpo, even after he quit coaching :

Valparaiso's free-throw shooting technique

AND :

Meet the man who made 409 straight free throws over lunch break

Meet the legend :

Virgil Sweet Interview VHS Coaches and Families Video 

Guard the post better , and use their body properly on both ends. 

https://www.usab.com/youth/news/2010/03/3tips-to-increase-your-shooting-prowess.aspx

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/the-importance-of-cutting.html

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/defense/stance.html

The team put in admirable effort to deal with being undermanned and out-sized . It's worth taking a look at the areas where IU struggled through the lens of the content of these links as well. The use of the body goes undermentioned in most talk about areas for improvement, which is pretty ironic since it's the common thread that is often at the root. Symptoms often get mistaken for the actual root of a teams' issues. I had this long post at first basically going into everything in the links off the top of my own head. It was really easy to find it worded much more clear and concise. Ignore what level of the game this was linked from since  fundamental truths don't expire or age out. 

IMO, free throws should be players' responsibility. If coaching staff has to spend time teaching and practicing free throws, to me that's a problem. It only makes sense to me if coaching staff simulates free throws in pressure situations (when players are tired and in end-game foul situations). I want them to spend time for fundamental drills and intermediate/advanced offensive/defensive strategies. 

17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Basketball is a game of basics.  And certainly you have identified several of those.  It's takes practice. And execution under pressure, IMHO. 

Yet, another great post by you.  Gonna call you, my friend.

Getting back to what I consider to be one of the most basic of all basketball parts.... the free throw.  I will mention the great Valpo High School Coach.... Virgil Sweet.  Who understood the importance of the free throw.  His teams consistently shot 90%, year after year.  That's TEAMS, not individuals.  And wrote a book about the art of free throw shooting.

Coach Sweet's legend continued on at Valpo, even after he quit coaching :

Valparaiso's free-throw shooting technique

AND :

Meet the man who made 409 straight free throws over lunch break

Meet the legend :

Virgil Sweet Interview VHS Coaches and Families Video 

We definitely have a lot of guys that could use the practice. I'm all for the Rick Berry method. It's easily repeatable and even his son used it at Florida. Whatever the case we need a lot of work at them. No excuse for giving up easy points.

I’m excited to see year 2 of packline.  Last season, defense was introduced as a NEW concept and it took time.  Now, there is a group of returnees who know what Miller wants, and the new group is athletic, long-armed (Hunter, Forrester, Anderson), with lateral quickness.  Defense should take another significant step forward.  

i get the point of this thread.  it's all opinions and a message board, etc.  it's just very funny to me that guys like us would say what he should be working on.  i'm sure he wants them to play better defense.  i'm sure he wants to improve FT shooting.  i'm sure they work on offense.  i'm sure they work on rebounding.  these college coaches work on each facet of the game.  it's just that some coaches are better at certain aspects.  some teams execute what they are taught/coached better.  

14 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i get the point of this thread.  it's all opinions and a message board, etc.  it's just very funny to me that guys like us would say what he should be working on.  i'm sure he wants them to play better defense.  i'm sure he wants to improve FT shooting.  i'm sure they work on offense.  i'm sure they work on rebounding.  these college coaches work on each facet of the game.  it's just that some coaches are better at certain aspects.  some teams execute what they are taught/coached better.  

Of course coaches work on the things you have listed here. Maybe it would have been better to ask what would HSN like for Archie to "concentrate" on.  Bobby Knight was known to emphasize or concentrate on defense in his practices.  I have already gone on record that I would like Archie to at least concentrate on the proper methods of free throw shooting. Now, I would like to say, especially considering how the defense improved last season from beginning to end.... to do the same as Knight...."concentrate" on D. 

Lastly, you are correct.  We all have opinions and many times there are no right answers.  That's what makes HSN great, and why we all like to come together here with one shared interest. For me, it's always good and educational to hear what others have to say.  Just as you have expressed yourself, just now.  Thanks for being a member, willing to contribute. 

3 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Just overall individual confidence in the system and how they each fit into it. I think there might have been players worrying about making mistakes and that's never a good thing from a shooting perspective.  

I really don't quite understand your post.  Can you elaborate further?

5 hours ago, rico said:

I really don't quite understand your post.  Can you elaborate further?

Sure. Our guard play was pretty terrible and they all regressed from a True Shooting % and PER standpoint. 

Johnson 56% to 54%. 15.8 to 14.

Newkirk 53% to 50%. 11.5 to 10.7.

Green 58% to 47%. 12.3 to 11.6.

Durham 52% / 9.3. Not a good base at all.

So what caused the decline? Higher defensive work rate and better focus on not turning the ball over? 

Not that I saw with my eyes or in the advanced metrics...so the confidence was either low, the effort wasn’t there, or the coaches did a poor job at bringing the best out of our backcourt. New year and all of that but we’ll see what happens. 

McSwain, Jones, + Hartman regressed (naturally) and Moore couldn’t even get any game time. The only true improvements we saw was in Juwan and from McRoberts. Maybe we just need a newer confident group in that are Archie players but the metrics weren’t flattering at all. So yeah, im just looking for confidence and self belief and that goes along way with shooting.

51 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Sure. Our guard play was pretty terrible and they all regressed from a True Shooting % and PER standpoint. 

Johnson 56% to 54%. 15.8 to 14.

Newkirk 53% to 50%. 11.5 to 10.7.

Green 58% to 47%. 12.3 to 11.6.

Durham 52% / 9.3. Not a good base at all.

So what caused the decline? Higher defensive work rate and better focus on not turning the ball over? 

Not that I saw with my eyes or in the advanced metrics...so the confidence was either low, the effort wasn’t there, or the coaches did a poor job at bringing the best out of our backcourt. New year and all of that but we’ll see what happens. 

McSwain, Jones, + Hartman regressed (naturally) and Moore couldn’t even get any game time. The only true improvements we saw was in Juwan and from McRoberts. Maybe we just need a newer confident group in that are Archie players but the metrics weren’t flattering at all. So yeah, im just looking for confidence and self belief and that goes along way with shooting.

See your point about the guards, but disagree on McSwain.  He improved a lot over the course of the season.  Was almost a real basketball player by the end.

On 8/2/2018 at 7:04 AM, NCHoosier32 said:

It something to talk about.  It a forum.  If you don't understand why we have a thread asking what we as fans hope the coaching staff works on then maybe this media channel isn't the correct one for you.  Its the off season, we have beat the  Romeo, TJD, DJ Carton, and Brooks threads to death.  Have to talk about something.

Archived