Urban Meyer placed on administrative leave

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Hard to see him surviving this. They’ll probably get Iowa States coach to replace him. 

I thought the same thing about Izzo and Dantonio, but that seems to have died out.  I don't have any faith that any of these big programs will do the right thing.  I'm expecting delay after delay out of OSU until it finally starts to blow over.  In a year or two, people will forget all about it.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't have any faith in big name coaches getting fired until it absolutely must happen after numerous things (see: Pitino, Rick).

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I thought the same thing about Izzo and Dantonio, but that seems to have died out.  I don't have any faith that any of these big programs will do the right thing.  I'm expecting delay after delay out of OSU until it finally starts to blow over.  In a year or two, people will forget all about it.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't have any faith in big name coaches getting fired until it absolutely must happen after numerous things (see: Pitino, Rick).

The reason I think this is different is because he won’t be getting fired for helping to cover up domestic abuse. He’s going to get fired for lying about it. If there was real hard proof of Izzo or Dantonio knowing and not reporting it, more than just common sense, they would be gone too. 

34 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

The reason I think this is different is because he won’t be getting fired for helping to cover up domestic abuse. He’s going to get fired for lying about it. If there was real hard proof of Izzo or Dantonio knowing and not reporting it, more than just common sense, they would be gone too. 

I could see that.  I sure hope you're right.  He definitely deserves to be fired, hopefully OSU has enough of a conscience to actually do it.

Shelley Meyer, Urban's wife is in jeopardy of losing her job, according to today's paper.  Shelley is a registered nurse, who also works at Ohio State.  She is being investigated also, as she was the first to hear about the misconduct , and failed to report it to the University independent of Urban,  as well.

8 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

Question for the board...Does this turmoil give us a better chance vs O$U or no change?

I would say not for this year. Maybe last year where it was the first game of the season, but I think they'll have it figured out by the time we get to them.

Hopefully they fire him and have some staff and roster turnover the next couple years and fall a bit. I'm sure they wouldn't fall much, but maybe they'd only be top 25 instead of top 10.

Not surprised by any of this. Keep in mind "...Meyer brought on Smith, a man Meyer knew had been alleged to abuse his pregnant wife. He brought on former Indiana coach Kevin Wilson, who resigned after he was accused of mistreating his players. He stuck by Greg Schiano after a deposition came to light alleging that Schiano knew about Jerry Sandusky's child abuse at Penn State, allegations Schiano denies." AND "During Meyer's six-year tenure at Florida, some 31 players were arrested, with at least 10 accused of crimes ranging from misdemeanor battery to felony domestic assault to felony theft to domestic battery. Punishment varied depending on the player, but let's just say it was uneven at best. In perhaps the best example that illustrates that, star running back Chris Rainey was suspended only four games in 2010 after he was charged with aggravated stalking for allegedly texting his girlfriend, "Time to die, b----." 

He's most likely done. 

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Not surprised by any of this. Keep in mind "...Meyer brought on Smith, a man Meyer knew had been alleged to abuse his pregnant wife. He brought on former Indiana coach Kevin Wilson, who resigned after he was accused of mistreating his players. He stuck by Greg Schiano after a deposition came to light alleging that Schiano knew about Jerry Sandusky's child abuse at Penn State, allegations Schiano denies." AND "During Meyer's six-year tenure at Florida, some 31 players were arrested, with at least 10 accused of crimes ranging from misdemeanor battery to felony domestic assault to felony theft to domestic battery. Punishment varied depending on the player, but let's just say it was uneven at best. In perhaps the best example that illustrates that, star running back Chris Rainey was suspended only four games in 2010 after he was charged with aggravated stalking for allegedly texting his girlfriend, "Time to die, b----." 

He's most likely done. 

Hard to say he is done, IMHO.... as Universities tend to look the other way in terms of winning coaches. Happened at IU with Knight... and at other schools as well. However, you make a great point.  A lot of questionable hires by Meyer at OSU.  The current issue of wife abuse which happened in 2015, was not the first, with this coach.  There was one by the same coach like in 2007 or so.  And of course we all know about Kevin Wilson. Wilson's track record at IU was more than likely the reason why OSU chose a guy with no head coaching experience over Kevin WIlson who has HC coaching experience. And your mentioning all that went on at Florida.   Not a very good track record.  All those things should be, and more should be considered by OSU, in determining what to do with Meyer. 

Had a couple days to digest. I'm not sure even Urban and Ohio St can survive this one. I really try and wait for all of the facts but everything I've read points to Urban knowing. Paid leave is legal way to start the process of probably knowing they will be letting him go later for cause....or like Wilson accept a small buyout because the employer has the goods. 

So I guess I'll be the first one to ask. How quickly does Urban get the Browns gig?

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Had a couple days to digest. I'm not sure even Urban and Ohio St can survive this one. I really try and wait for all of the facts but everything I've read points to Urban knowing. Paid leave is legal way to start the process of probably knowing they will be letting him go later for cause....or like Wilson accept a small buyout because the employer has the goods. 

So I guess I'll be the first one to ask. How quickly does Urban get the Browns gig?

Reading comments in some Ohio newspapers.... many OSU fans are saying the leave is only in order to give OSU time to work on a buyout.  Not sure if that is truly the case. However that is what some OSU fan are thinking.

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Reading comments in some Ohio newspapers.... many OSU fans are saying the leave is only in order to give OSU time to work on a buyout.  Not sure if that is truly the case. However that is what some OSU fan are thinking.

Makes sense. I know 1 of the attorneys Glass hired to get the dirt on Wilson. Being one himself Glass knew he wanted all the facts on his side before approaching KW with the small buyout. Might be a similar strategy. 

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Makes sense. I know 1 of the attorneys Glass hired to get the dirt on Wilson. Being one himself Glass knew he wanted all the facts on his side before approaching KW with the small buyout. Might be a similar strategy. 

That sir. Is news in and of itself.  At.... least to me.  The fact that Mr. Glass hired an attorney to investigate Kevin Wilson's behavior.  I just assumed (yes, I know what that makes me ) Mr. Glass had enough on Kevin's misbehavior,  since his hiring and direct reports from players... to have had enough to establish a case against Kevin Wilson.   Thanks for the additional bit of information.

Highly doubt, should OSU release Meyer, that Wilson will be retained as well.  Only thing that could save Kevin, should Meyer get released, IMHO.... is how close it it getting to opening the season.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That sir. Is news in and of itself.  At.... least to me.  The fact that Mr. Glass hired an attorney to investigate Kevin Wilson's behavior.  I just assumed (yes, I know what that makes me ) Mr. Glass had enough on Kevin's misbehavior,  since his hiring and direct reports from players... to have had enough to establish a case against Kevin Wilson.   Thanks for the additional bit of information.

Highly doubt, should OSU release Meyer, that Wilson will be retained as well.  Only thing that could save Kevin, should Meyer get released, IMHO.... is how close it it getting to opening the season.

I thought it was common knowledge but maybe not. Glass isn't an idiot. And the whole philosophical differences line he said once the decision was executed...is code for I'm not opening up IU for further litigation by saying he was dismissed for those reasons. It's the reason KW took what, $500-$600k instead of the $10+M left on contract and didn't challenge it. 

Just my little humble opinion. Haha..

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I thought it was common knowledge but maybe not. Glass isn't an idiot. And the whole philosophical differences line he said once the decision was executed...is code for I'm not opening up IU for further litigation by saying he was dismissed for those reasons. It's the reason KW took what, $500-$600k instead of the $10+M left on contract and didn't challenge it. 

Just my little humble opinion. Haha..

May have been common knowledge.  However, I admit it was news to me.  So thanks for the intel.

Gonna say.  I do appreciate what Mr. Glass has done in terms of bringing IU out of the red financially. Of course, he has had the benefit of the Big Ten Network money.  Which I will say, he has used to upgrade IU's athletic facilities campus wide, in what I consider to be a magnificent way.  I appreciate that.  Is he an idiot ? Not sure of that considering the contract he was able to negotiate with IU, and being able to elevate himself to a position more than just an AD.  Anyway. As always, I do appreciate your input.  Don't stop. Don't ever stop, from sharing with us.... your opinions. 

Archived