Fandom

rico

I am old enough to remember IU's '73 FF team.  From that point on I was a Hoosier.  IU everything as I am to this day.  However I grew up an hour from the Notre Dame campus.  I spent a lot of time in South Bend watching the Irish play football and basketball and I cheer for them as long as they aren't playing IU.  I am also half Tennessean.  My Mom was born and raised 50 miles North of Knoxville......so I also follow the Vols quite closely.  But first and foremost, I bleed crimson, always have and always will.

College- All IU sports

NFL- Colts

NBA- Pacers

MLB- Reds

Growing up in the 70's and early 80's it was a little harder to be a sports fan because we had no cable.  About 30 Pacers games were shown each year on the local channel 4 and I had to listen to the rest on the radio.  Channel 4 would also show around 40 Reds games a year and I had to listen to Marty and Joe on the radio and for baseball the radio is as good as TV.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

College- All IU sports

NFL- Colts

NBA- Pacers

MLB- Reds

Growing up in the 70's and early 80's it was a little harder to be a sports fan because we had no cable.  About 30 Pacers games were shown each year on the local channel 4 and I had to listen to the rest on the radio.  Channel 4 would also show around 40 Reds games a year and I had to listen to Marty and Joe on the radio and for baseball the radio is as good as TV.

The Colts are a different animal.  A lot of "old timers" in my area still root for the Bears.

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

NFL - Bronco's and Colts - Although I wish Irsay would sell the team and we could turn the corner.  Manning made Indy what it was and they haven't recovered since

College BB - IU

College Football - ND and Tenn

Baseball - Cubs

I think Irsay the owner is pretty good but he just needs to keep his mouth shut.  He will let his front office do there job and not interfere with them and he will spend as much money as needed.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think Irsay the owner is pretty good but he just needs to keep his mouth shut.  He will let his front office do there job and not interfere with them and he will spend as much money as needed.

Horrible drafting over the years.  Let the wrong coach leave and kept one that should have been fired years before.  Kept a GM that had no right to be running a team.  Is a drunk, alocholic druggie billionaire who is so far out of touch with reality he is an embarrassment.

Yup he has done a fine job owning the Colts. 

And the only reason the Colts did as well over a period of time was he had Polian running the show.  Shit Show before Polian, Shit show since.  Thank God for Peyton Manning and his ability to turn any receiver into a superstar

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Horrible drafting over the years.  Let the wrong coach leave and kept one that should have been fired years before.  Kept a GM that had no right to be running a team.  Is a drunk, alocholic druggie billionaire who is so far out of touch with reality he is an embarrassment.

And the only reason the Colts did as well over a period of time was he had Polian running the show.  Shit Show before Polian, Shit show since.  Thank God for Peyton Manning and his ability to turn any receiver into a superstar

Well they had the best decade of any organization has ever had while owning the team.  they went to two Super Bowls while owning the team.  I would guess you are younger and don't remember what the Colts were when his dad was the owner.  They were the laughing stock of the league from 84-94 and was the worst football organization in football.  Also as owner he was not the one drafting the players so I wouldn't blame that on him as well.  Who was the one that hired Polian in the first place and saw that he would be a perfect fit here.

Which coach did he let leave and kept the wrong one,  Dungy retired so I don't know how he could have kept him here.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well they had the best decade of any organization has ever had while owning the team.  they went to two Super Bowls while owning the team.  I would guess you are younger and don't remember what the Colts were when his dad was the owner.  They were the laughing stock of the league from 84-94 and was the worst football organization in football.  Also as owner he was not the one drafting the players so I wouldn't blame that on him as well.  Who was the one that hired Polian in the first place and saw that he would be a perfect fit here.

Which coach did he let leave and kept the wrong one,  Dungy retired so I don't know how he could have kept him here.

I am 45

The best decade was Polian and Manning

After Dungy he kept that Jim Caldwell who couldn't inspire a pep squad

Then they let Bruce Arians go and kept Pogano about 3 years too long and everyone new it.

And Yes, Shit show before Polian/Manning, Shit show after Polian/Manning, just like i mentioned above.

He hires the people and keep the people who draft, but you can't tell me he doesn't have his hands all over the draft. He is an egotistical billionaire.

Did not like Caldwell but he did go to the Super Bowl

Could not fire a guy after one year who missed most of the year with Cancer

After Manning they drafted Luck and went 11-5 3 straight years and went to the AFC championship game.  If that is a shit show then I will take that any day.

From what everyone has said that has worked with him they say he does not butt in when it comes to making personal decisions.

3 hours ago, rico said:

I am old enough to remember IU's '73 FF team.  From that point on I was a Hoosier.  IU everything as I am to this day.  However I grew up an hour from the Notre Dame campus.  I spent a lot of time in South Bend watching the Irish play football and basketball and I cheer for them as long as they aren't playing IU.  I am also half Tennessean.  My Mom was born and raised 50 miles North of Knoxville......so I also follow the Vols quite closely.  But first and foremost, I bleed crimson, always have and always will.

What about Purdue? :P

I guess I am just different because when I think of a fan that is a fan of one team and not many teams.  I might watch other teams because I watched a lot of sports that does not include my favorite team.  I just wouldn't call myself a fan of any other team even though I might watch most of those teams games.  Especially in college if I am an IU fan I just couldn't see myself being a fan of another University.  When I think of a fan that means to me you live and die with that teams outcome and you follow every aspect of that team.  During the college basketball season I watch a couple of games a night during the week and a lot on the weekend but to me that does not mean I am a fan of those teams I watch.

I guess I am just different because when I think of a fan that is a fan of one team and not many teams.  I might watch other teams because I watched a lot of sports that does not include my favorite team.  I just wouldn't call myself a fan of any other team even though I might watch most of those teams games.  Especially in college if I am an IU fan I just couldn't see myself being a fan of another University.  When I think of a fan that means to me you live and die with that teams outcome and you follow every aspect of that team.  During the college basketball season I watch a couple of games a night during the week and a lot on the weekend but to me that does not mean I am a fan of those teams I watch.

You can define your fandom anyway you want.  Each to their own I always say.  

Yes you are different, but each to their own

Once again I will talk about my fandom on the professional level.  I will start with the NFL.  When I was growing up the Colts weren't here.  My favorite team was the Bears.  However, I rooted for the Browns in the AFC(believe it or not to our younger crowd they were pretty darn good).  Once the Colts moved to Indy they became my favorite team, but I follow and cheer for the Bears in the NFC.  The Browns are a distant memory to me,  Onto MLB.  I grew up and still am a Reds fan.  However I follow the Cubbies closely because their games were on in my area.  But my favorite team in the AL is the Tribe.  Now the NBA is different, just for me, I am old enough to remember them in the ABA.  I root for the Pacers and no one else.  Same way with the NHL.  I don't watch much hockey but when I do it is only the Blackhawks.

Now with all that being said about myself I have quite a few friends whose favorite team/teams hinge on specific players.  I got a buddy who roots for the Pats.  He didn't until Brady came along.  Got another buddy that roots for the Packers just because of Rodgers.  The best is my family down in Tennessee.  They all became Colts fans when Indy got Peyton.  Now that Peyton is gone they root for the Titans.

Yes, fandom is a fickle thing.

Just now, rico said:

Once again I will talk about my fandom on the professional level.  I will start with the NFL.  When I was growing up the Colts weren't here.  My favorite team was the Bears.  However, I rooted for the Browns in the AFC(believe it or not to our younger crowd they were pretty darn good).  Once the Colts moved to Indy they became my favorite team, but I follow and cheer for the Bears in the NFC.  The Browns are a distant memory to me,  Onto MLB.  I grew up and still am a Reds fan.  However I follow the Cubbies closely because their games were on in my area.  But my favorite team in the AL is the Tribe.  Now the NBA is different, just for me, I am old enough to remember them in the ABA.  I root for the Pacers and no one else.  Same way with the NHL.  I don't watch much hockey but when I do it is only the Blackhawks.

Now with all that being said about myself I have quite a few friends whose favorite team/teams hinge on specific players.  I got a buddy who roots for the Pats.  He didn't until Brady came along.  Got another buddy that roots for the Packers just because of Rodgers.  The best is my family down in Tennessee.  They all became Colts fans when Indy got Peyton.  Now that Peyton is gone they root for the Titans.

Yes, fandom is a fickle thing.

Back in the day the Browns were very entertaining to watch with Brian Sipes at QB throwing to Ozzie Newsom.  they were know as the cardiac kids because most of their games cam down to the last possession.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Back in the day the Browns were very entertaining to watch with Brian Sipes at QB throwing to Ozzie Newsom.  they were know as the cardiac kids because most of their games cam down to the last possession.

Yep........my how times have changed.

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Minus 2-3 other franchises....the Colts have won more than anyone this century. Even with the recent struggles. Give me Irsay all day long instead of McCaskey's (Bears) as the owner of my team.

PS...the amount of $ donates and helps people in Indy and around the state which isn't advertised is unreal. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Minus 2-3 other franchises....the Colts have won more than anyone this century. Even with the recent struggles. Give me Irsay all day long instead of McCaskey's (Bears) as the owner of my team.

PS...the amount of $ donates and helps people in Indy and around the state which isn't advertised is unreal. 

12th actually, but still pretty good winning percentage overall.  And alot of that was due to the 17 years of Manning winning on average 12 games a year.  Take that away and i bet we fall some but you can say that about most franchises i guess.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/784512/nfl-team-ranking-by-all-time-regular-season-winning-percentage/

7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

12th actually, but still pretty good winning percentage overall.  And alot of that was due to the 17 years of Manning winning on average 12 games a year.  Take that away and i bet we fall some but you can say that about most franchises i guess.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/784512/nfl-team-ranking-by-all-time-regular-season-winning-percentage/

All-time =/= this century. 

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I know the last 3-4 have stunk. Grigson drafted 21 guys from 2013-15. 2 are left on roster. I agree...Grigson never should have been hired and certainly should have been fired earlier. 

I have enough issues with my guys. Bears ownership has been a joke to it's team, coaches, players, and fans for decades. 

Archived