The Death Penalty

5fouls

Most 'experts' and talking heads do not think Louisville will receive the Death Penalty.  The excuse I hear most is that it is just too punitive.  Here's where I have a huge problem with that.

Other than the Death Penalty, what would appear to be the major deterrents to cheating,  One of the biggest, if not the biggest, would be vacate Championships.  Well, in this case, LESS THAN TWO MONTHS after Louisville had a championship vacated, and WHILE THEY WERE APPEALING that ruling, they turned around and were offering 6 figure cash inducements to  multiple recruits.

I personally don't see where anything short of the Death Penalty is satisfactory.  Louisville blatantly thumbed their nose at the NCAA, and apparently the banner thing wasn't enough pressure to stop.   Is it punitive?  Absolutely.  SMU never fully recovered.  But, that's what would scare a coach straight.  I've heard discussions about the partial death penalty, like Baylor got in basketball a few years ago when they were not allowed to play non-conference games.  Not a big enough deterrent.  New coach comes in to 'fix' things and he's just as dirty as the one that was fired.

Shut Louisville down, or this problem will not be fixed, no matter how many other schools are pulled into it. 

Hard to give them Death Penalty anytime soon until you know how deep this investigation goes. No doubt though if everything is proven why have the penalty if you aren't going to use it. But I guess the same could be said for nuclear weapons.

With that said...If I'm the NCAA you have to start getting things right. Which to fans means handing out correct punishment. Right now they look like nothing more than a coat checking service. Holding things for Feds until they get done with their work. Finalize Carolina. Investigate all those in report. $ doesn't matter but sucking at a sport does. How does that happen? Take away scholarships, tv, ncaa tourney appearances for years....

Unless there has been a bunch of missinformation given as to who "coach 2" , "player 9" , "agent 99" actually are....the evidence has to be as clear and as actionable as SMU sending cash to recruits with SMU stationary. 

And speaking of "agent 99"....doesn't every NCAA investigation seem like an episode of "Get Smart"??? 

I remember reading a few years back that while the NCAA would keep the death penalty, that they would never use it, because of how it destroyed SMU.

After reading that, I recall as a little kid how my father hung a paddle, high on a wall in the kitchen.  Too tall for me to get to it.   But within clear eye shot.  He never used it on me. But the very thought of it hanging there, was intimidating, in and of itself. 

I could be way off on this, but I don't think the death penalty as applied to SMU back then would be remotely the same as a potential death penalty for Louisville now. In basketball, one or two solid recruiting classes can get you back to being a reasonably competitive program again.  Essentially restarting a football program, as SMU had to do, is a completely different animal. A 4/5 star freshman rarely, if ever, has the immediate impact in football that we see in basketball. It's still a hefty (and I think appropriate) punishment, don't get me wrong, but people in the media yesterday comparing Louisville's potential death penalty to how it decimated the SMU program for decades are completely off target. 

UL bball should get the death penalty.   While being penalized for running a strip club and brothel in the basketball dorm to which Slick Rick says "I know nothing", Slick Rick helps get lots pf cash from a shoe company so a top player will sign with his team and says "Gee, that was so easy it just came out of the blue".  Slick Rick has his colors mixed up as it's green not blue.

Listened to a guy on one of the Sirius sports talk stations yesterday. His take was that Louisville would not get the death penalty in large part due to their immediate actions of firing both Pitino and Jurich. He also stated that if the death penalty would be doled out, it would have repercussions for the ACC that would penalize the conference though no fault of their own --lost revenue both from tv contracts and NCAA tournament, lowered RPI or whatever measures used for teams that play Louisville, to name a couple. Potential lawsuits brought by companies that have paid big dollars as sponsors of the university , its programs and its facilities.

I agree that the egregiousness of the ongoing problems at Louisville warrant significant penalties. I just don't think that in today's environment that we will ever see the death penalty doled out again.

People need to not look at the death penalty unfavorably because of the outcome it had on a program in a different sport several decades ago. The NCAA has to prove that you can't pump money into a program, reap all the benefits through winning with a heavy advantage, and pay the lowly fine after they bust you a few seasons later. If they can't scare schools into not doing this then nothing is stopping this whole thing from restarting itself.

It's also semi annoying to see UL fans lash out at anyone suggesting the death penalty because they believe people only want to see blood spill. Maybe it's some of that, but your program messed up on a huge level while being on probation for less than a year.

Archived