Chicago State reportedly added to the 2018-19 Schedule

13 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

The pro side would be pretty short.  Here it is:

That's what has me scratching me head.  So why do they do it?  Obviously, the athletic department thinks there is a pro side or they would not schedule such cupcakes.  My guesses would be as follows:

1. Chicago State is a really cheap date.
  2. It's an early confidence builder (no Indiana State shocker here.)
  3. They were one of the only teams left with a hole in their schedule for the desired date.

That's all I've got.  Scheduling like this after all the criticism for doing it is just baffling to me.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

That's what has me scratching me head.  So why do they do it?  Obviously, the athletic department thinks there is a pro side or they would not schedule such cupcakes.  My guesses would be as follows:

1. Chicago State is a really cheap date.
  2. It's an early confidence builder (no Indiana State shocker here.)
  3. They were one of the only teams left with a hole in their schedule for the desired date.

That's all I've got.  Scheduling like this after all the criticism for doing it is just baffling to me.

Your reasons are as good as any that I've heard.  As it stands Chicago St. is the only REALLY bad team on the schedule, so it isn't too problematic IMO.

Thanks !! Now I  can make out my score sheet for this game ! The Non-conference schedule is finally nearing completion !! I've got no problem with IU playing this game !!Butler is playing Brown from the flipping Ivy league !! BYU is playing Alabama A  & M !! They all have at least one so called "cupcake " game !! It is what it is !!! Play ball !! Go Hoosiers !!

I did not read TDH's link.  But I pu[[ed  Chicago St. up on Wiki.  They are a member of the WAC?  Geez, that used to be a fine conference.  But the only school in it now that is/was relevant is New Mexico St.  Am I reading that right?

It's a chance to get all our freshman some playing time??? I hope this is very very early in the schedule....that is not a quality opponent and hard to see why fans would pay to watch that. My only other thought is maybe a former alum is coaching or running their athletic department and its a kick back to them lol.

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Considering we have Marquette, Duke, Butler, Louisville, Arkansas on the schedule....I don't mind one bit a couple of cupcakes. Regarding Chicago St. They hired Lance Irvin yesterday. Connections are huge in the area with Mac Irvin Fire and his brother Nick. 

Crazy that they waited that long to fill their head coaching spot.  Mark Titus (sportswriter who grew up in Indiana and was a benchwarmer at OSU) was waging a pretty funny campaign to get the job over the past few months.

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Crazy that they waited that long to fill their head coaching spot.  Mark Titus (sportswriter who grew up in Indiana and was a benchwarmer at OSU) was waging a pretty funny campaign to get the job over the past few months.

Saw that...was good stuff. No clue why it took so long. 

9 hours ago, rico said:

I did not read TDH's link.  But I pu[[ed  Chicago St. up on Wiki.  They are a member of the WAC?  Geez, that used to be a fine conference.  But the only school in it now that is/was relevant is New Mexico St.  Am I reading that right?

Really crazy to think tha Chicago State is a member of the WAC.  And even crazier to know the WAC home office is literally 2.4 miles from my house here in Colorado.  They have always been headquartered here, but  moved to a new location recently.

Just going off the top of my head, some former members of the WAC have been Colorado State, Wyoming, BYU, Air Force, and Hawaii.

Thanks to TDH for the link. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Considering we have Marquette, Duke, Butler, Louisville, Arkansas on the schedule....I don't mind one bit a couple of cupcakes. Regarding Chicago St. They hired Lance Irvin yesterday. Connections are huge in the area with Mac Irvin Fire and his brother Nick. 

Yes Marquette is suppose to return a lot of it's scoring so they could be highly ranked and a good test...obviously Duke will be a top 10 program. Our RPI shouldn't suffer too much considering most of the B!G will probably be ranked in the 20-40 range with a couple in the top 15 I would assume.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Really crazy to think tha Chicago State is a member of the WAC.  And even crazier to know the WAC home office is literally 2.4 miles from my house here in Colorado.  They have always been headquartered here, but  moved to a new location recently.

Just going off the top of my head, some former members of the WAC have been Colorado State, Wyoming, BYU, Air Force, and Hawaii.

Thanks to TDH for the link. 

Correct on the schools you mentioned.  Here are some more prominent ones.  Boise St., UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego St., SMU, TCU, UTEP, Utah, and last but not least 'Zona along with Arizona St.

Now they got Chicago St?

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

They're a lot better than people think, a tough team.

LOL.......love the sarcasm!

Word to the wise.  Chi St. whipped mighty Silver Lake College 101-53.  They also got the can of "whup arsz" out on perennial powerhouse East-West University 113-65.  Then they proceeded to lose 24 straight(of course just barely) before winning their last regular season game against the jumping Kangaroos of UM-KC(that had to be embarrassing to the 'Roos).  

They don't qualify as a cupcake as that is an insult to the real cupcakes out there.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Word to the wise.  Chi St. whipped mighty Silver Lake College 101-53.  They also got the can of "whup arsz" out on perennial powerhouse East-West University 113-65.  Then they proceeded to lose 24 straight(of course just barely) before winning their last regular season game against the jumping Kangaroos of UM-KC(that had to be embarrassing to the 'Roos).  

They don't qualify as a cupcake as that is an insult to the real cupcakes out there.

They're a tough cupcake

When a new coach takes over a basketball program he often has a huge rebuilding job to deal with ! Chicago State's new head coach currently only has 8 players on his roster ! There is a little size (6'9" , 6'7" , and 6'7")  !! It will be interesting to see if he can add FIVE more players  ?? He only has 12 DAYS until classes start at Chicago State !! Here's hoping he can find some Senior Eligible transfer players ! I remember when pee yew added a player AFTER classes had already started ! So , it is not IMPOSSIBLE !!

15 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

When a new coach takes over a basketball program he often has a huge rebuilding job to deal with ! Chicago State's new head coach currently only has 8 players on his roster ! There is a little size (6'9" , 6'7" , and 6'7")  !! It will be interesting to see if he can add FIVE more players  ?? He only has 12 DAYS until classes start at Chicago State !! Here's hoping he can find some Senior Eligible transfer players ! I remember when pee yew added a player AFTER classes had already started ! So , it is not IMPOSSIBLE !!

Rebuilding job?  I know nothing about Chi St. other than what is on sports-reference.  I don't when the school was founded but they started playing D-1 b-ball starting with the 84-85 season.  Since then they have had 3 winning seasons.  Oddly enough 2  of them were their first 2 years.  And to be honest those two years they played a decent schedule for an upstart posting 16-11 and 22-6 records.  The other winning record was 2009 where they went 19-13.

18 hours ago, rico said:

What is easier than a cupcake??? Cream puff?? I will say those...these are typically the teams we struggle with....we come out with no sense of urgency, play down to the competition and then proceed to give them confidence and make a real game out of it. That said I'm not sure they have enough fire power like some of our smaller Indiana schools who always have tons of shooters to give us too much of a problem. I expect our freshman to get a lot of playing time..which should be good for them.

18 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

How can a school in Chicago who typically has lots of high school talent not be able to scrounge up enough kids to fill out a team? Is it the academics or are their cheerleaders that ugly? He can probably grab some kids from a pick up game and do just as good as they did last year. Crazy! You should at least be able to fill out the roster with JUCO kids from the Michigan, Indiana, Illinois area alone and win a few games.

First of all , Chicago State's new head coach Just became their head coach a couple of days ago !! So he really hasn't had much  time to do any  recruiting !! However, I feel there is still plenty of decent talent to be recruited ! And , he has an added dimension in that  he can offer a lot of playing time right away ! I am hoping he can plug some holes quickly so that Chicago State might be able to provide a little competition ( for The Hoosiers ) !!

4 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

First of all , Chicago State's new head coach Just became their head coach a couple of days ago !! So he really hasn't had much  time to do any  recruiting !! However, I feel there is still plenty of decent talent to be recruited ! And , he has an added dimension in that  he can offer a lot of playing time right away ! I am hoping he can plug some holes quickly so that Chicago State might be able to provide a little competition ( for The Hoosiers ) !!

It will be close......until the opening tip-off.

Archived