Kadin Shedrick Commits to Virginia

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I'd say he also had a great mind for the game and probably one of the reasons why he got such good reviews during his broadcasting stint with ESPN for calling a few games...very knowledgeable. Not to mention, hearing a lot of ex players and coaches (Bruiser) on how detail-oriented/top notch his practices were during his time at IU.

I had a buddy that was a manager for a couple years so I would get info occasionally on practices/players, but it sounded to me like ego and personality quirks were his downfall. Ego burned him when he couldn't listen for advice from a different perspective (i.e. in game adjustments) and personality quirks may have hurt him on being able to bring the team together during crunch time as a voice to be valued/trusted. Just my educated guess so don't take it as the absolute answer, but the man has been around the game his whole life grinding so I don't think it was a lack of knowledge on why things didn't work out.

Archie seems better in both of these areas IMO which makes me feel optimistic...on top his strong knowledge of the game as well.   

Yeah, I wasn’t trying to imply that he wasn’t knowledgeable of the game. If he weren’t, then whoever hired him would’ve been fired long ago with Crean. 

When I say his coaching was the ultimate downfall, I mean that his inability to influence his youth and get them to execute was probably the largest factor... well, that and not being able to land top in-state talent. That all factors into coaching and has nothing to do with knowledge of the game. I’m not arguing, btw, just clarifying my original post. Whatever he was selling, the recruits weren’t buying. And it may not have had anything to do with what he was saying, but how he was saying it. Communication is obviously imperative, so how one receives or conveys it must be very, very clear. Again, CTC was a great guy, but I know for a fact that he rubbed several folks the wrong way. 

I played for Brian Satterfield(HSE HC) when he was an assistant back in the mid-late 90’s. He and other Indiana HS head coaches weren’t crazy about Crean and I don’t have the time to write everything out that he and others have said. However, I’m pretty well versed on the Gary Harris recruitment and how everything went down. I was told that Gary was ours to lose and Crean started to creep him out and he also blocked out Sat and any insight that he could’ve provided. There IS such a thing as too much attention and the manner in which that attention was displayed. It kind of creeped Gary out, no it really creeped him out... I digress.

Crean was harmless but wasn’t a salesman. He sold the fans at first and even a few recruits, but once they saw that he wasn’t able to sustain success at the top, with talent... let’s just say that the writing was on the wall and he had ample opportunity to right the ship.

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

Yeah, I wasn’t trying to imply that he wasn’t knowledgeable of the game. If he weren’t, then whoever hired him would’ve been fired long ago with Crean. 

When I say his coaching was the ultimate downfall, I mean that his inability to influence his youth and get them to execute was probably the largest factor... well, that and not being able to land top in-state talent. That all factors into coaching and has nothing to do with knowledge of the game. I’m not arguing, btw, just clarifying my original post. Whatever he was selling, the recruits weren’t buying. And it may not have had anything to do with what he was saying, but how he was saying it. Communication is obviously imperative, so how one receives or conveys it must be very, very clear. Again, CTC was a great guy, but I know for a fact that he rubbed several folks the wrong way. 

I played for Brian Satterfield(HSE HC) when he was an assistant back in the mid-late 90’s. He and other Indiana HS head coaches weren’t crazy about Crean and I don’t have the time to write everything out that he and others have said. However, I’m pretty well versed on the Gary Harris recruitment and how everything went down. I was told that Gary was ours to lose and Crean started to creep him out and he also blocked out Sat and any insight that he could’ve provided. There IS such a thing as too much attention and the manner in which that attention was displayed. It kind of creeped Gary out, no it really creeped him out... I digress.

Crean was harmless but wasn’t a salesman. He sold the fans at first and even a few recruits, but once they saw that he wasn’t able to sustain success at the top, with talent... let’s just say that the writing was on the wall and he had ample opportunity to right the ship.

Good post. Good relationships and communication are imperative no matter how smart you are. It sounds like we're on the same page, Crean was a smart dude with a tireless work ethic, but it takes more than that to be a good leader.

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

Kindfully disagree. Crean is a (used-car) salesman which recruits and fans eventually figured out. He lacked authenticity and substance when he spoke—some of his postgame press conferences were unwatchable because of the tangents he would go on. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I wish my job was that easy. As long as you get it right in the end I guess. Still don’t understand the point of these guys.

They are filling a void.  There is nothing else out there nationally that people can point to as an indication of who is leading so it becomes a point of reference for everyone.  Great business idea, but completely useless if you are seeking accuracy.

11 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

They are filling a void.  There is nothing else out there nationally that people can point to as an indication of who is leading so it becomes a point of reference for everyone.  Great business idea, but completely useless if you are seeking accuracy.

Yeah. They provide a service I understand that...I don't bother following them because imo they are full of it. A bunch of lemmings that basically lick their finger and stick it in the wind. A kid opens his mouth and they try to interpret it into an indication. Seems they don't figure it out until the day of and personally that doesn't really help because we can just hear it from the horses mouth at that point. I appreciate how you share your information with your followers and don't pretend to know something  you don't and then charge for it. Thanks for all you share!

Archived