Kadin Shedrick Commits to Virginia

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

When we are recruiting multiple top 30 players at the same or similar positions, yes.

Recruiting and landing are big differences. There may be a big difference talent wise in the rankings but a top 60 that wants to be here i cannot see any reason to turn him away. Do i want TJD and Brooks yes!! Would i be happy with TJD and Shedrick yes!! 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

So lets put all our eggs in the Top 30 basket.  Missed completely and have no back up plans. Take a Priller like guy and oh yeah get ripped on HSN for having no eye for talent

🤷🏻‍♂️ To answer the earlier question, getting Romeo did make me greedy.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

When we are recruiting multiple top 30 players at the same or similar positions, yes.

We don't want it to be like the Davis era and put everything in one basket.  It is good to have more than a couple of kids we are recruiting in case you miss on a couple of guys.

21 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Top 30 prospects don't fit our need at End-Of-The-Bench-Body that Priller filled. We should be looking lower, honestly.

Snark always plays well on a message board.  For you to indict Crean’s ability to judge talent based on Priller is some kind of special.  As if Crean looked at Priller the same way he looked at OG or Olaidipo.  That kind of logic is what deserves snark.  “But but but but ignore OG and Vic, Crean couldn’t evaluate.  He took Priller!”  It’s absurd. 

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Snark always plays well on a message board.  For you to indict Crean’s ability to judge talent based on Priller is some kind of special.  As if Crean looked at Priller the same way he looked at OG or Olaidipo.  That kind of logic is what deserves snark.  “But but but but ignore OG and Vic, Crean couldn’t evaluate.  He took Priller!”  It’s absurd. 

Defending Crean's recruiting of Priller, Gelon, et al is what's absurd. You're bending over backwards to justify Crean's terrible recruiting strategy/ability. Tim Priller was the lowest ranked recruit in the entire Big Ten in his class! But hey, it's a bench body! He could have walked to the HPER or SRSC and found more capable players than Tim Priller and they wouldn't have cost a scholarship.

22 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I have a huge issue with this.  Recruiting rankings are a shady industry, and 98% of basketball fans are clueless/ignorant to it.  Rankings can suggest a player's talents, but it has nothing to do with scheme, fit, attitude, mentality, etc.  It's a raw arbitrary, subjective ranking.  

TJD is the only comparable player we are getting to Shedrick, and he's 3 inches shorter.  We aren't signing Isaiah Stewart.  KB doesn't change anything.  Please list the 'multiple top 30 guys' we are recruiting.  

I have a huge issue with this.  Recruiting rankings are a shady industry, and 98% of basketball fans are clueless/ignorant to it.  Rankings can suggest a player's talents, but it has nothing to do with scheme, fit, attitude, mentality, etc.  It's a raw arbitrary, subjective ranking.  

TJD is the only comparable player we are getting to Shedrick, and he's 3 inches shorter.  We aren't signing Isaiah Stewart.  KB doesn't change anything.  Please list the 'multiple top 30 guys' we are recruiting.  

29 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Defending Crean's recruiting of Priller, Gelon, et al is what's absurd. You're bending over backwards to justify Crean's terrible recruiting strategy/ability. Tim Priller was the lowest ranked recruit in the entire Big Ten in his class! But hey, it's a bench body! He could have walked to the HPER or SRSC and found more capable players than Tim Priller and they wouldn't have cost a scholarship.

I defended Crean’s ability to spot talent.  I clearly stated I didn’t like his coaching or his roster assembly.  The point you seem obsessed about is that Priller shows he cannot identify talent.  You can be as snarky as you want or purposefully trying to deflect from the point or whatever the hell game you’re playing.  Have at it but it’s unbecoming.  

48 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Come on man. Crean had some good gets, but he had A LOT of misses. 

‘09 - no complaints / decent gets in a crappy situation

’10 - Michel situation was a disaster but he landed Vic and Will, so okay. 

‘11 - Zeller and that’s it. Abel and Etherington didn’t work out in any capacity. 

‘12 - Yogi and that’s it. Rest of the movement was a disaster.

’13 - Vonleh, Williams and Hartman were good gets. Robinson, Fischer and Davis never contributed. Decent class, not great or bad. 

‘14 - Holt, Priller, April, Hoetzel...???? Bad. Blackmon and Johnson ... plenty of shortcomings, but fine. 

‘15 - Great class. Bryant, OG and Morgan.

’16 - Green, McSwain, Davis ...ok. Jones and Gelon...not so much. 

As a whole, ‘11, ‘12, ‘14 and ‘16 we’re just bad classes. We should expect classes like ‘15 regularly. 

5 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

Not to mention that the recruiting services have been known to dangle the ranking like a carrot to get exclusive interviews.

My only response is I agree that I didn’t like the way he put together his classes.  When he lost Fischer and Vonleh, he got caught with his pants down and didn’t have contingencies in place.  Hence, he jumped on Priller and April.  Those are two guys who couldn’t play.  But, this was spring and there was no one else around with size so he took two guys with a pulse.  Best case scenario with Priller is he saw an unathletic kid with some height who maybe could have been a stretch four if he got stronger.  I think someone has quite an imagination if he takes the position that Priller was brought in to be a star on the track to the NBA. 

Overall, I thought he didn’t do an effective job of building a roster with strategic planning over multiple years.  He got caught with no experience at times.  Sometimes nobody could see the floor and run the offense.  He had zero shooting at other times.  That’s a gripe most of us would agree with.  

Personally, I like a recruiting with a mix of 3-4 years players and the one and done types.  The result would be you’d always have some experience.   You’d also need complementary talents: drivers, shooters, length, quickness, ball handling, passers, etc    I didn’t think Crean built his rosters with insight and strategy.  

However, and this goes back to Marquette, he consistently is able to project a raw high school kid and identify him as a guy who could flourish.  I have no doubt he will do it some more at Georgia.  

One thing that absolutely fired me up to no end was the fact that Crean couldn’t get his players to gel. The two decent teams that we had under his tenure were due to strong player leadership. The majority of his teams lacked confidence and the ability to close games out. 

I think TC is a great person, just not a very good coach. And I know there are some that believe he was instrumental in Wade and Vic’s success. I can resonate with that to an extent. I think that he developed them as men, but those two have a work ethic that can’t be taught. 

Crean didn’t land top kids because he wasn’t recruiting them heavily. He failed to land these kids because most of them weren’t buying what he was selling. 

1 hour ago, hoosierdaddy said:

TJD, Brooks, Stewart, Watford, Hurt, and Nnaji are all top 30 forwards we’re recruiting in 2019.  That sentence is an indisputable fact.  They all have different skill sets, but they will all be playing the same or similar positions to Shedrick (although I’m sure someone will respond that Brooks is actually a point guard now).  You can hem and haw and try to come up with reasons they’re “not comparable,” but the fact is, this Shedrick kid is our backup plan in the event we miss out on one or more of those recruits.  I’d prefer to get the recruits that the staff has actually prioritized up to this point, instead of the less talented Plan B.  I’m sure Archie would as well.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I defended Crean’s ability to spot talent.  I clearly stated I didn’t like his coaching or his roster assembly.  The point you seem obsessed about is that Priller shows he cannot identify talent.  You can be as snarky as you want or purposefully trying to deflect from the point or whatever the hell game you’re playing.  Have at it but it’s unbecoming.  

WFC's?

57 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

TJD, Brooks, Stewart, Watford, Hurt, and Nnaji are all top 30 forwards we’re recruiting in 2019.  That sentence is an indisputable fact.  They all have different skill sets, but they will all be playing the same or similar positions to Shedrick (although I’m sure someone will respond that Brooks is actually a point guard now).  You can hem and haw and try to come up with reasons they’re “not comparable,” but the fact is, this Shedrick kid is our backup plan in the event we miss out on one or more of those recruits.  I’d prefer to get the recruits that the staff has actually prioritized up to this point, instead of the less talented Plan B.  I’m sure Archie would as well.

To me, the guys that Shedrick most overlaps with are Hurt, Nnaji and Watford -- the guys that we are least likely to get.

Brooks is a wing, TJD is a 5 right now although he wants to become a 4.  I'd be very comfortable with Brooks, TJD and any one of the above on the floor at the same time.

20 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

To me, the guys that Shedrick most overlaps with are Hurt, Nnaji and Watford -- the guys that we are least likely to get.

Brooks is a wing, TJD is a 5 right now although he wants to become a 4.  I'd be very comfortable with Brooks, TJD and any one of the above on the floor at the same time.

But I doubt we end up with all three of them, especially given that we will also likely have Hunter and Smith competing for minutes at the 3 and 4 as well.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...and yet, there was a LOT of bitching about the 2015 class.

Yep. The experts didn't think it was going to be good at all. 1 is getting serious NBA $, the other is doing pretty good by 21 year old standards and I have no doubt Juwan will be earning $ this time next year somewhere either in NBA or overseas. 

12 hours ago, Danomatic said:

One thing that absolutely fired me up to no end was the fact that Crean couldn’t get his players to gel. The two decent teams that we had under his tenure were due to strong player leadership. The majority of his teams lacked confidence and the ability to close games out. 

I think TC is a great person, just not a very good coach. And I know there are some that believe he was instrumental in Wade and Vic’s success. I can resonate with that to an extent. I think that he developed them as men, but those two have a work ethic that can’t be taught. 

Crean didn’t land top kids because he wasn’t recruiting them heavily. He failed to land these kids because most of them weren’t buying what he was selling. 

I'd say he also had a great mind for the game and probably one of the reasons why he got such good reviews during his broadcasting stint with ESPN for calling a few games...very knowledgeable. Not to mention, hearing a lot of ex players and coaches (Bruiser) on how detail-oriented/top notch his practices were during his time at IU.

I had a buddy that was a manager for a couple years so I would get info occasionally on practices/players, but it sounded to me like ego and personality quirks were his downfall. Ego burned him when he couldn't listen for advice from a different perspective (i.e. in game adjustments) and personality quirks may have hurt him on being able to bring the team together during crunch time as a voice to be valued/trusted. Just my educated guess so don't take it as the absolute answer, but the man has been around the game his whole life grinding so I don't think it was a lack of knowledge on why things didn't work out.

Archie seems better in both of these areas IMO which makes me feel optimistic...on top his strong knowledge of the game as well.   

Archived