Kadin Shedrick Commits to Virginia

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

Little brother is a D1 coach nearby this kid, he loves him.  I think it's an offer to put pressure on our current guys.

I agree, with this class being potentially a 4 man class, the team cannot wait until the spring and hope that they choose IU even though I would rather have TJD and Brooks but its a big risk to wait until the spring, especially if for some reason they choose elsewhere.  

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I have no reason to doubt you but why is it that we are always the first big time program to offer these guys?  Are Crean and Archie just that good at finding hidden talent?

When Crean "found" Oladipo, It was either Roy or K who said they had no idea who Oladipo was. When Crean first saw OG play he was scouting another ranked player, and OG was torching everyone on the floor, he wasn't even in the program guide. Crean of course also gave away some scholies that were real head scrachers, but CAM clearly knows talent, I'm sure we'll see why this kid got noticed soon enough. 

42 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

When Crean "found" Oladipo, It was either Roy or K who said they had no idea who Oladipo was. When Crean first saw OG play he was scouting another ranked player, and OG was torching everyone on the floor, he wasn't even in the program guide. Crean of course also gave away some scholies that were real head scrachers, but CAM clearly knows talent, I'm sure we'll see why this kid got noticed soon enough. 

You have to give Tom credit for Dipo and OG.  However, for every one of them there were at least a few complete busts like Priller, Gelon, April, David Williams, etc.  Hopefully we're done with the latter.

12 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

You have to give Tom credit for Dipo and OG.  However, for every one of them there were at least a few complete busts like Priller, Gelon, April, David Williams, etc.  Hopefully we're done with the latter.

In fairness, none of those guys were recruited, or offered scholarships with the objective of their being key players. Priller, Gelon and April were recruited for fill-in spots at the end of the roster. David Williams wasn't even in that box. I agree Crean whiffed on some swings, regardless, but so does every coach, really.

17 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I have no reason to doubt you but why is it that we are always the first big time program to offer these guys?  Are Crean and Archie just that good at finding hidden talent?

Honestly I think some coaches think their program is too good for lower 4 stars and some 3 stars.  Not all the time but sometimes those that aren’t as talented work harder and end up better. No way Cal or K bother with someone ranked lower than 70th in the class, if they do they probably stumbled upon them much like Crean did OG.

18 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

This is the first offer Archie has made that really has me scratching my head.

I was very confused by the offer as well at first.

Here is article from the 247, that I think is free.  

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/A-strong-showing-in-July-led-to-an-offer-explosion-for-Kadin-Shedrick-120266109/

Snow said if he had to guess he would be ranked 50-75 range when the new rankings come out.

I'm going to leave this here - if you only use recruiting rankings to determine 'why or why we shouldn't offer someone - you're better off just sitting in the stands and watching.

If my HC is getting after low-fours before they blow up - this is exactly what I want to see.  Brandon Newman was a 3 star this time last year.  Uconn, Wake Forest, Georgetown all offered him prior to us in the last 2 weeks - he's obviously blowing up.  6'10 with fluidity is right in our wheelhouse, I'd love to grab him. 

9 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

I'm going to leave this here - if you only use recruiting rankings to determine 'why or why we shouldn't offer someone - you're better off just sitting in the stands and watching.

If my HC is getting after low-fours before they blow up - this is exactly what I want to see.  Brandon Newman was a 3 star this time last year.  Uconn, Wake Forest, Georgetown all offered him prior to us in the last 2 weeks - he's obviously blowing up.  6'10 with fluidity is right in our wheelhouse, I'd love to grab him. 

I am all for us getting all of the top in stste talent, but when we offer those kids and they have the offer for 1 or 2 years and have not jumped i do not feel bad if we get someone that fills a need. Regardless of where they come from. If this young man wants to be q Hoosier and pops quickly and we lose out on Brooks i am ok with that. Message to instate talent.  Pull the trigger quickly.

24 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

I was very confused by the offer as well at first.

Here is article from the 247, that I think is free.  

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/A-strong-showing-in-July-led-to-an-offer-explosion-for-Kadin-Shedrick-120266109/

Snow said if he had to guess he would be ranked 50-75 range when the new rankings come out.

I would just think that if we take Shedrick if signals that the staff thinks at least one of Brooks or TJD is likely heading elsewhere.  I can't see how we'd take all 3.

18 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oladipo was the "consolation" prize for the Quinn Cook sweepstakes. DeMatha's team was centered around Quinn and VO didn't see the ball much and thus wasn't highly recruited. OG had a great AAU tournament when Crean was in town to watch Morgan. Both were accidents but I do give Crean credit for seeing the potential and striking while the iron was hot. 

30 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Oladipo was the "consolation" prize for the Quinn Cook sweepstakes. DeMatha's team was centered around Quinn and VO didn't see the ball much and thus wasn't highly recruited. OG had a great AAU tournament when Crean was in town to watch Morgan. Both were accidents but I do give Crean credit for seeing the potential and striking while the iron was hot. 

No Vic was not a consolation, he was directly recruited and was averaging a double-double as a guard -- he saw the ball plenty, but was not the scorer, that was Cook. And yes, OG wasn't even on the program, but Crean and staff were wowed by his game and followed up to recruit him -- that's not an "accident," they discovered him when going to watch another player. 

I agree.  It ruffles some feathers here but I will always defend Crean's ability to spot talent, which really means projecting what a player can become. It's not just the players he landed.  He got on some other nice kids early who we didn't get.

As for David Williams, he never matriculated to IU.  Crean trusted an assistant and that had nothing to do with Crean's eye.  I don't see how that one is relevant.  Priller and April?  They were reaches.  Crean needed bodies.  Wasn't a great situation no matter how you slice it.

I go back on our various boards with many folks ten plus years now.  Per our discussions, many of us were intrigued by Oladipo and Anunoby.  Crean had great vision there.  It was not a fluky thing.  I think Crean could honestly be working in an NBA front office in terms of acquiring talent.

I think it's best for everyone that Crean moved on. His approach on the floor was not my cup of tea, and I have said that for years.  We've been over it ad nauseum.  But, I am willing to give him credit in some respects.

Crean's misses far outweigh the diamonds in the rough.

Capobianco

Muniru

Michel

Mosquera-Perea

Jurkin

April

Priller

Gelon

That's not even factoring in other guys that could be considered mistakes:

Etherington

Hollowell

Hoetzel

CuJo

So all that vs Oladipo and OG as diamonds in the rough. Maybe Sheehey if you want to count him. Morgan was a 4 star recruit, he doesn't count.

28 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Crean's misses far outweigh the diamonds in the rough.

Capobianco

Muniru

Michel

Mosquera-Perea

Jurkin

April

Priller

Gelon

That's not even factoring in other guys that could be considered mistakes:

Etherington

Hollowell

Hoetzel

CuJo

So all that vs Oladipo and OG as diamonds in the rough. Maybe Sheehey if you want to count him. Morgan was a 4 star recruit, he doesn't count.

Thank you. I don’t think the hits come anywhere close to the misses. 

I think Zeisloft should also be included in Crean's group of diamonds in the rough.  Ironically- I think Zeisloft's success probably led to one of Crean's bigger mistakes- Gelon.  

When looking at Archie, one name that gives me the impression he's a good talent evaluator is McKinley Wright.  Of course- Wright didn't play for Archie, but the fact that Archie was after a kid ranked 229th in the nation and later averaged 14 ppg and 5 apg is pretty impressive.  

Archived