IU to host Central Arkansas on December 19 , 2018 !

I finally found another needle in the old haystack ,vbg !! The Bears went 18 & 17  last season !! They return a 7'0" Sophomore center who averaged 8.7 points per game last season as a Freshman and another 7'0" backup center !  Other size=======  6'9" Freshman , 6'7" Freshman , 6'7" Freshman , 6'8" Sophomore , 6'7" Junior , 6'8" Junior  and they have a SENIOR guard 6'5" Thatch Unruh who also averaged 8.7 points per game last season !! They also have a 5'11" Returning point guard , Deandre Jones  , who averaged 6.1" points as a FRESHMAN last season !!  This will be an interesting matchup for The Hoosiers ,lmho !!

P .S. Central Arkansas played in last season's CBI Tournament , winning their first game by a score of 92 to 90 before losing to a Jacksonville State team that finished 23 & 12 last season !!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

In it's history, Central Arkansas has produced a more accomplished basketball player than Indiana. 

Scottie Pippen, class of 1987.

I looked up Scottie's stats after HTD's op.  He must have had some injury issues but other than his frosh year he was something else.  

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

In it's history, Central Arkansas has produced a more accomplished basketball player than Indiana. 

Scottie Pippen, class of 1987.

Hmmm

NCAA Titles

Pippen - 0

Isaiah - 1

NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player

Pippen - 0

Isaiah - 1

All-American

Pippen - 1 (NAIA)

Isaiah - 1

College Basketball Hall of Fame

Pippen - 0

Isaiah - 1

NBA Titles

Pippen - 6

Isaiah - 2

Finals MVPs

Pippen - 0

Isaiah - 1

All Stars

Pippen - 7

Isaiah - 12

All Star Game MVPs

Pippen - 1

Isaiah - 2

All-NBA First Teams

Pippen - 3

Isaiah - 3

All-NBA Second Teams

Pippen - 2

Isaiah - 2

All-NBA Third Teams

Pippen - 2

Isaiah - 0

All-Rookie NBA Teams

Pippen - 0

Isaiah - 1

All-Defensive 1st Team

Pippen - 8

Isaiah - 0

All-Defensive 2nd Team

Pippen - 2

Isaiah - 0

Pippen - 18,940 (16.1 ppg)

Isaiah - 18,822 (19.2 ppg)

Rebounds

Pippen - 7,494 (6.4 rpg)

Isaiah - 3,478 (3.6 rpg)

Assists

Pippen - 6,135 (5.2 apg)

Isaiah - 9,061 (9.3 apg)

Olympic Gold Medals

Pippen - 2

Isaiah - 0

6 hours ago, rico said:

Zeke never got his shot at the Olympics as we boycotted in 1980.

He should have won gold with either of the Dream Teams (specifically forced off the first one) and then was hurt when the second one played. I agree was rather unfortunate that didn't work out for him.

19 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Um, yeah, I Thomas is widely considered in the top 3 point guards in NBA history. Pippen more accomplished? No.

Based on DJ's post, Zeke obviously has the edge in college achievements, but you may want to look again at the professional and international stats.  

Although the Chicago Bulls had BOTH Michael Jordan AND Scottie Pippen , it wasn't until the Bulls acquired Crazy Dennis Rodman from the Detroit Pistons that the Bulls won those last 3 NBA Titles  ( of the 6)!!

P.S The first season that Rodman joined the Bulls  the Bulls went 72 & 10 with Rodman averaging 14.9 REBOUNDS PER GAME ! Then , with Rodman , The Bulls won 69 games the next season ! Rodman helped the Bulls win 3 STRAIGHT NBA CHAMPIONSHIPS and he led the NBA in  REBOUNDING for SEVEN straight seasons ! Rodman finished his NBA Career with More Career REBOUNDS than "The Admiral" David Robinson !!!!! Jordan and Pippen were both really good players but they needed "Crazy" Dennis Rodman grabbing those REBOUNDS ,baby  [imho]!!😀

23 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Based on DJ's post, Zeke obviously has the edge in college achievements, but you may want to look again at the professional and international stats.  

Those international stats mean nothing to me.  Isiah should have two golds himself.

10 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Although the Chicago Bulls had BOTH Michael Jordan AND Scottie Pippen , it wasn't until the Bulls acquired Crazy Dennis Rodman from the Detroit Pistons that the Bulls won those last 3 NBA Titles  ( of the 6)!!

P.S The first season that Rodman joined the Bulls  the Bulls went 72 & 10 with Rodman averaging 14.9 REBOUNDS PER GAME ! Then , with Rodman , The Bulls won 69 games the next season ! Rodman helped the Bulls win 3 STRAIGHT NBA CHAMPIONSHIPS and he led the NBA in  REBOUNDING for SEVEN straight seasons ! Rodman finished his NBA Career with More Career REBOUNDS than "The Admiral" David Robinson !!!!! Jordan and Pippen were both really good players but they needed "Crazy" Dennis Rodman grabbing those REBOUNDS ,baby  [imho]!!😀

So how did they win the first 3 without Rodman?

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Um, you may want to re-read those yourself Fouls.

Yep.  If you add everything together to make points, rebounds, and assists one stat, Pippen has more.

And, in the non-collegiate  'all-something tallies', I'm counting 33 for Pippen and 23 for Zeke.

So, your point is.......?

Pippen had a longer career than Zeke, so we won't hold Zeke's 37.5 career VORP against Pippen's 69.6.  

But, I do think career PER and Win Shares per 48 minutes are fair game.

Career PER

Pippen - 18.6

Zeke - 18.1

Career Win Shares per 48 minutes

Pippen - .146

Zeke - .109

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Pippen had a longer career than Zeke, so we won't hold Zeke's 37.5 career VORP against Pippen's 69.6.  

But, I do think career PER and Win Shares per 48 minutes are fair game.

Career PER

Pippen - 18.6

Zeke - 18.1

Career Win Shares per 48 minutes

Pippen - .146

Zeke - .109

I couldn't care less about those made up stats but go by what I see when I watched players play.  To me IT was the best player on his team and was the reason those teams won those championships.  Pippen was the second fiddle on his teams and it was easier for him to play off of Jordan.  When Pippen did not play with Jordan he never won a championship where IY lead his team to 2 championships with another finals appearance.  I think some just use these stats to make judgements without actually thinking for themselves and not make your own judgements by actually watching the game.

It’s an interesting conversation. Clearly both IT and Pippen are HOF, historic players. Pippen has some advantages with 6titles, defensive accolades and international, but with that said I personally view IT as a leader of championship teams where Pippen is more a complimentary player in that regard. 

I view Pippen more in the vein of guys like McHale and Worthy, again HOF’ers and great players, but where is McHale without Bird, Worthy without Magic/Kareem and Pippen without Jordan? While IT certainly played with other great players, the Pistons were his teams. He was the unquestioned leader of two title teams. 

IMO, that gives him the edge on Pippen historically. But, when we get to discussing guys as great as IT and Pippen it’s really splitting hairs. 

32 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Made up stats?

Last I checked math and stats are factual.  Sure, stats do not tell the whole story, but that's a different argument.

Made up for basketball because for years we did just fine with pts per game, rebs per game, assist per game.   I couldn't care less about war or points per possession or any of the new metrics evented by nerds who probably never played the game.

Archived