IU to host Central Arkansas on December 19 , 2018 !

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was a huge Magic fan and was the only time my life that I followed a player and a team that was not my favorite team.  I was even for MSU in the 79 championship over ISU because of Magic.

I became a huge Magic and Lakers fan because of the 79 Ncaa finals.

The 1st championship game I remember watching

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

My all time starting 5 that I saw play enough to evaluate. 

PG  Magic.   

SG  MJ 

SF   LBJ

PF  Tim Duncan

C.   Kareem

6th Man Karl Malone

I just was wondering if You were an IU fan why did you hate IT.  I did not hate him while he was at Detroit but I did not cheer for them to win.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My all time starting 5 that I saw play enough to evaluate. 

PG  Magic.   

SG  MJ 

SF   LBJ

PF  Tim Duncan

C.   Kareem

6th Man Karl Malone

I was a Pacer fan and went to some games when I was younger and got to see some of the best players of all time.  I saw Magic, Kareem, Bird, Dr. J and later on saw Shaq in the playoffs while he was at Orland.  This year my 18 year old son bought us tickets to game 3 of the playoffs against Cleveland and saw James.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He actually played PG for the Lakers and if you look at the starting lineup you would see he was the PG

PG-Magic

2G- Byron Scott

SF James Worthy

PF- AC Green

C- Kareem

Hey I know what his slotted position was, I'm just saying he wasn't really what we call a point guard, he's much more like LBJ is now

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was a Pacer fan and went to some games when I was younger and got to see some of the best players of all time.  I saw Magic, Kareem, Bird, Dr. J and later on saw Shaq in the playoffs while he was at Orland.  This year my 18 year old son bought us tickets to game 3 of the playoffs against Cleveland and saw James.

That's awesome. I starting going to Pacer games in early 90's. Went to a couple of the series against the Knicks.  Never got to see Magic play live. My oldest son loved Kobe and we had great seats in Kobes last game in Indy. My youngest got to meet Lebron a couple of years ago and we had 1st row seats under the basket and Lebron asked Ayden to rebound for him at half time. Ayden was more than star struck. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

When did you stop beating your wife?

Other than your personal eye test, you have not provided a single argument to support your position.  I have provided statistical analysis and a ranking by a respected NBA journalist. 

It's fine you have your opinion.  You're entitled to it.  But, how can you accuse Reacher of bias, when you're opinion seems to be based on your own bias?

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/isiah-thomas-recalls-the-time-karl-malone-gave-him-the--cheapest--foul--in-the-history-of-the-game-205207016.html?y20=1

IT takes this hit yet comes back to play some of the game.  When Pippen did not get a play called for him at the end of the game he quit on his team and did not go back in the game.

The Jazz, just like the Pistons were a bunch of thugs.  

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hey I know what his slotted position was, I'm just saying he wasn't really what we call a point guard, he's much more like LBJ is now

Well when I think of a point guard it is to facilitate the offense and control the offense which is exactly what Magic did.  He brought the ball p the court and lead the fast break.  Also with that lineup who would you call the PG besides Magic.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

That's awesome. I starting going to Pacer games in early 90's. Went to a couple of the series against the Knicks.  Never got to see Magic play live. My oldest son loved Kobe and we had great seats in Kobes last game in Indy. My youngest got to meet Lebron a couple of years ago and we had 1st row seats under the basket and Lebron asked Ayden to rebound for him at half time. Ayden was more than star struck. 

I got to see a playoff game against the Knicks as well and saw Ewing.  It was like 90 or 91 and it was the game that Starks head butted Reggie.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well when I think of a point guard it is to facilitate the offense and control the offense which is exactly what Magic did.  He brought the ball p the court and lead the fast break.  Also with that lineup who would you call the PG besides Magic.

A lot of people forget about Norm Nixon......but Magic had the ball in his hands.  Great player, not your proto typical PG.

Just now, rico said:

A lot of people forget about Norm Nixon......but Magic had the ball in his hands.  Great player, not your proto typical PG.

Maybe not proto typical but he was a point guard.  Nixon left in 81 I think,  so he only played with Magic a couple of years.  IN the 80 final Magic started at center after Kareem was hurt and had 40 some points and around 15 rebounds.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Maybe not proto typical but he was a point guard.  Nixon left in 81 I think,  so he only played with Magic a couple of years.  IN the 80 final Magic started at center after Kareem was hurt and had 40 some points and around 15 rebounds.

That is my point.  Magic could play any position on the floor.

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Other than your personal eye test, you have not provided a single argument to support your position.  I have provided statistical analysis and a ranking by a respected NBA journalist. 

It's fine you have your opinon.  You're entitled to it.  But, how can you accuse Reacher of bias, when you're opinion seems to be based on your own bias?

oh just stop. Personal eye test? PPG, Assists, Finals MVP, All star game appearances, etc. is a personal eye test? Are you trying to get under my skin or are you being deliberately obtuse?? 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

oh just stop. Personal eye test? PPG, Assists, Finals MVP, All star game appearances, etc. is a personal eye test? Are you trying to get under my skin or are you being deliberately obtuse?? 

One of us is supporting his argument with information from other sources,

The other is supporting his position by calling those who disagree with him biased and obtuse.

Just sayin........

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

One of us is supporting his argument with information from other sources,

The other is supporting his position by calling those who disagree with him biased and obtuse.

Just sayin........

Any stat can say whatever you want it to say.  I don't care at all with all of these new metrics and never use them because  I have watched enough sports to make my own decision.  To me sports is getting to corporate and just have no personality any longer.  Everything has to be done by the book and coaches use metrics way to much when making decisions.  In baseball once a pitcher hits 90-100 it is time to take them out no matter how well they pitch.  Sports are trying to take all the interesting things out of their sports and making it so mundane.  In football if you barely touch someone you get flagged for a personal foul.  I miss the days where managers and umps get into arguments but today they put in rules where you can't even do that nay longer.  I just wish they would give back the sports that I loved watching and stop trying to change it into something else.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Any stat can say whatever you want it to say.  I don't care at all with all of these new metrics and never use them because  I have watched enough sports to make my own decision.  To me sports is getting to corporate and just have no personality any longer.  Everything has to be done by the book and coaches use metrics way to much when making decisions.  In baseball once a pitcher hits 90-100 it is time to take them out no matter how well they pitch.  Sports are trying to take all the interesting things out of their sports and making it so mundane.  In football if you barely touch someone you get flagged for a personal foul.  I miss the days where managers and umps get into arguments but today they put in rules where you can't even do that nay longer.  I just wish they would give back the sports that I loved watching and stop trying to change it into something else.

You make some legit points.  That said, advance metrics do have some meaning.  There's a reason why Babe Ruth leads MLB in career WAR.  There's a reason that LeBron & MJ are the top two NBA players in career VORP.  So, yes, the fact that Pippen has almost double the career VORP as Thomas does says something, whether everyone wants to admit it or not.

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You make some legit points.  That said, advance metrics do have some meaning.  There's a reason why Babe Ruth leads MLB in career WAR.  There's a reason that LeBron & MJ are the top two NBA players in career VORP.  So, yes, the fact that Pippen has almost double the career VORP as Thomas does says something, whether everyone wants to admit it or not.

Maybe it means something to you but it does not mean a thing to me.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I didn't care for metrics much myself until I took notice of Billy Beane and the Oakland A's.  He used metrics to build his club with "under valued" players.  Winning teams and a low pay-roll all due to metrics.

9 hours ago, rico said:

I didn't care for metrics much myself until I took notice of Billy Beane and the Oakland A's.  He used metrics to build his club with "under valued" players.  Winning teams and a low pay-roll all due to metrics.

Yet they never won a championship with that style

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Then explain, if teh metrics don't mean anything, why they just happen to indicate the Lebron and MJ are the two best players in NBA history?  If they were flawed, why don't they randomly indicate that JR Smith and Will Perdue are instead?

And, if playing on champions is all that matters to be great, does that make Robert Horry a Hall of Famer?  Is he better than LeBron? 

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Then explain, if teh metrics don't mean anything, why they just happen to indicate the Lebron and MJ are the two best players in NBA history?  If they were flawed, why don't they randomly indicate that JR Smith and Will Perdue are instead?

And, if playing on champions is all that matters to be great, does that make Robert Horry a Hall of Famer?  Is he better than LeBron? 

Anyone with eyes could tell who is the best and don't needs stats to tell you that.  It tight help teams when drafting players to look more deeply into things but as fans I couldn't care less about most of those stats.  In basketball all I care is if you score more points than your opponents.  To do that I feel all you need to look at is your shooting percentage against your defensive percentage.  If you out rebound your opponents and turn the ball over less than your opponent.  I have watched college basketball and sports in general for over 40 years and enjoyed them forever without needing these stats to tell me what I already know.

Archived