Bryant Fitzgerald

Every year, I am surprised how players turn out.  Fitzgerald has the making of being a great player.  I had him pegged him as a husky or a LB, maybe a strong safety.  But, I am surprised and impressed that he is getting a look at free safety.  As good of a football player as he is, I didn't expect him, at 215 lbs and growing, to have the range and speed to play free safety.

We are giving a lot of hype to coaches Ballou and Rhea on physical development.  Maybe that's a factor here.

Beyond that, as a guy who loves defense, I am so impressed with the physical talent we are bringing in, and the depth.  We have waves of athleticism and talent on defense, most of it precocious still, but its coming big time.  I mean, more than we have ever seen.  Marcellino Ball is probably the best football player on the team.  Crawford is a four year starter at free safety.  But, we have guys coming up like Devon Matthews, Juwan Burgess, Fitzie, and Khalil Bryant.  Cam Jones has been flashing as a backup husky.  

Our corners are vets, Andre Brown and Riggins.  But, I really liked the looks of Raheem Layne last year.  Beyond them, coming up we have Reese Taylor and Jaylin Williams, two mega athletes who can flat out fly.

We have some really young athletes at linebacker (Aaron Casey, Mo Burnham, James Miller, maybe Cam Jones eventually) along with a guy like TD Roof.  Roof has a Zach Thomas feel to me.  Undersized but a tackling machine.  

We also have waves of athletes at DE.

We have some good DT's but that might be one spot where I want more.  

I don't recall a time where we have had this level of depth in athleticism on defense.  It is very exciting, and this year is just the start.  There is zero doubt about Allen as a man and as an X's and O's guy with defense.

6 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Every year, I am surprised how players turn out.  Fitzgerald has the making of being a great player.  I had him pegged him as a husky or a LB, maybe a strong safety.  But, I am surprised and impressed that he is getting a look at free safety.  As good of a football player as he is, I didn't expect him, at 215 lbs and growing, to have the range and speed to play free safety.

We are giving a lot of hype to coaches Ballou and Rhea on physical development.  Maybe that's a factor here.

Beyond that, as a guy who loves defense, I am so impressed with the physical talent we are bringing in, and the depth.  We have waves of athleticism and talent on defense, most of it precocious still, but its coming big time.  I mean, more than we have ever seen.  Marcellino Ball is probably the best football player on the team.  Crawford is a four year starter at free safety.  But, we have guys coming up like Devon Matthews, Juwan Burgess, Fitzie, and Khalil Bryant.  Cam Jones has been flashing as a backup husky.  

Our corners are vets, Andre Brown and Riggins.  But, I really liked the looks of Raheem Layne last year.  Beyond them, coming up we have Reese Taylor and Jaylin Williams, two mega athletes who can flat out fly.

We have some really young athletes at linebacker (Aaron Casey, Mo Burnham, James Miller, maybe Cam Jones eventually) along with a guy like TD Roof.  Roof has a Zach Thomas feel to me.  Undersized but a tackling machine.  

We also have waves of athletes at DE.

We have some good DT's but that might be one spot where I want more.  

I don't recall a time where we have had this level of depth in athleticism on defense.  It is very exciting, and this year is just the start.  There is zero doubt about Allen as a man and as an X's and O's guy with defense.

I'm really excited to see Fitzgerald play.  It says a lot about him to stay with IU after what happened.

Not only did the NCAA screw him over, it also cost him his redshirt year, so I expect to see him out there quite a bit this year.

We are getting some fantastic athleticism on defense.  I love the incoming class of CBs.  Matthews was blowing up last year, and has the size to cover bigger guys.  Jaylin Williams is the only guy besides Whop who is running 23+ mph, and he was a borderline top 300 recruit.  Reese Taylor has great athleticism too, and I love that he was an elite QB, so he will probably be ahead of the curve reading quarterbacks.  I think Ball is going to have a monster year.  Stud athlete who is still only 19 years old.

Dreaming of a secondary in 2 years of a senior Ball and Layne, and junior Fitzgerald, Burgess, Matthews, Williams, and Taylor has me salivating.  A lot of those guys haven't proven anything yet, but that could be the makings of an amazing defense.

Archived