OT - Another B1G coach in trouble - DJ Durkin

Things aren't looking very good for DJ Durkin.  Being accused of having a toxic program and basically him and his assistants are giant a-holes to all the players.  Players being mistreated left and right.  I always thought he seemed like a tool on the sidelines, so I'll be glad to see him go.  He's not nearly a good enough coach to survive this.  He's probably gone before the season starts, and maybe even before the end of next week.

These reports that keep coming out make me thankful we got rid of Wilson and hired Allen.  I can't imagine hearing things like this happening under the current staff.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At best it's extremely harsh, at worst it's criminal with the lineman passing away.

I am not an attorney but I imagine there has to be some negligence on the part of the coaching staff.  Could lead to an expensive civil suit for Maryland and the DurkinTurpins.

Teaching guys how to dig deep and push through pain and exhaustion is a good thing.  Making kids push through those things out of fear and intimidation is a bad thing.

Belittling, mocking, and embarrassing kids to show your dominance over them no reason has no place in sports, or in life in general.  I appreciate the coaches who realize kids will give their all for a coach they respect.

31 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Teaching guys how to dig deep and push through pain and exhaustion is a good thing.  Making kids push through those things out of fear and intimidation is a bad thing.

Belittling, mocking, and embarrassing kids to show your dominance over them no reason has no place in sports, or in life in general.  I appreciate the coaches who realize kids will give their all for a coach they respect.

This. Guys like Durkin won’t last too much longer I wouldn’t think. And how did it take them an hour to call an ambulance from when the player first had a seizure? That’s beyond ridiculous. 

14 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Anyone see Will Muschamp’s comments defending him? Said there’s no credibility in anonymous sources. Awful comments to make. 

Yep.  I get he is friends with Durkin but unless he's attended MD practices he knows as much as we all do.  A player died for heaven's sake and this fool is attacking sources.  That's exactly why the are anonymous.  Smh.

Go Hoosiers!!!

16 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Yep.  I get he is friends with Durkin but unless he's attended MD practices he knows as much as we all do.  A player died for heaven's sake and this fool is attacking sources.  That's exactly why the are anonymous.  Smh.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Exactly. I’m sure the anonymous sources are afraid they’ll be run through the ringer if the coaching staff knew who it was. 

On a side note, I’m guessing the kids parents have a pretty good case against MD due to the negligence that we witnessed right?

So now.... we have two B1G head FB coaches on leave.  I find it interesting that in both cases each school has an IU connection.  Matt Canada who is acting HC at Maryland was IU's QB coach in 2004, and IU's offensive co-ordinator in 2007.   And of course, we know all about Kevin Wilson who did not get the interim gig at OSU.

Just an observation on my part about the IU connection.... as well as to the best of my knowledge, Matt Canada has never been a D-1 head FB coach, while , as we all too well know Kevin Wilson has.  Yet, the one who (again to the best of my knowledge) has never been a HC gets the interim gig, while the other who has been a HC does not get the interim gig. 

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

So now.... we have two B1G head FB coaches on leave.  I find it interesting that in both cases each school has an IU connection.  Matt Canada who is acting HC at Maryland was IU's QB coach in 2004, and IU's offensive co-ordinator in 2007.   And of course, we know all about Kevin Wilson who did not get the interim gig at OSU.

Just an observation on my part about the IU connection.... as well as to the best of my knowledge, Matt Canada has never been a D-1 head FB coach, while , as we all too well know Kevin Wilson has.  Yet, the one who (again to the best of my knowledge) has never been a HC gets the interim gig, while the other who has been a HC does not get the interim gig. 

Don't forget that OSU has another former HC on staff.  Schiano, who is tied to Paterno and Penn St.

14 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Anyone see Will Muschamp’s comments defending him? Said there’s no credibility in anonymous sources. Awful comments to make. 

When I saw that yesterday  I'm sitting there thinking to myself how dumb do you have to be get involved in this. Loyalty is one thing but defending your buddy and questioning sources? When a kid died already?? 

13 hours ago, rico said:

Don't forget that OSU has another former HC on staff.  Schiano, who is tied to Paterno and Penn St.

And don't forget that strength coach at Maryland (Rick Court) was Urban Meyer's guy for 2 seasons too. And one other thing I just saw and it shows how quickly things can change. Frank Reich was all ready and willing to be head coach at Maryland 2 years ago. 

The McNair family attorney wants Durkin fired.

Also said they're leaning towards filing a civil lawsuit in federal court.  He said there's video footage of the May 29th workout where McNair collapsed that the university hasn't released yet.  ESPN is also requesting the footage.  Hopefully it's only a matter of time before that comes out.  Then things should be real interesting.

I rarely have information to pass along. Sometimes it's better to keep off boards. I hang out with a couple guys who are former Buckeyes who are all over the place on what's going to happen. One said he wouldn't be surprised to see Urban in week 1 and the other said maybe a token suspension. Both basically said yesterday that there is a ton more information to come out if in fact it's needed or necessary. Ohio St weighing the pro/cons of releasing information because it would look like they are defending Bruce's grandson. 

Fun times!!

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I rarely have information to pass along. Sometimes it's better to keep off boards. I hang out with a couple guys who are former Buckeyes who are all over the place on what's going to happen. One said he wouldn't be surprised to see Urban in week 1 and the other said maybe a token suspension. Both basically said yesterday that there is a ton more information to come out if in fact it's needed or necessary. Ohio St weighing the pro/cons of releasing information because it would look like they are defending Bruce's grandson. 

Fun times!!

There's a ton more information to come out for or against Urban?

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not Urban....but since he's in charge they have to weigh pro/cons of releasing it to public. If they release it....it will look like he's trying to defend the situation. Which he knows they'll lose the PR battle every day.

I hope they do whatever makes him look the worst.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I hope they do whatever makes him look the worst.

That's the hard part. I hate Ohio St more than Kentucky. I want to say plenty....but Urban is the total CEO. He knows all parts of what's in play here. The 2 guys I get info from said yesterday.....I'm hiding in the sand on this one. They both said if they offered up any opinions....they would be crucified on social media. All very, very cautious because they know the power behind a fanbase. I asked one who is a former All American and NFL player and he goes....I'm not cutting off what feeds me. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the hard part. I hate Ohio St more than Kentucky. I want to say plenty....but Urban is the total CEO. He knows all parts of what's in play here. The 2 guys I get info from said yesterday.....I'm hiding in the sand on this one. They both said if they offered up any opinions....they would be crucified on social media. All very, very cautious because they know the power behind a fanbase. I asked one who is a former All American and NFL player and he goes....I'm not cutting off what feeds me. 

That's why I think it was crazy for Muschamp to go off on anonymous sources.  Why would anybody go against a big program?  Nothing to be gained and everything to lose if you attach your name to it.

Archived