OT - Another B1G coach in trouble - DJ Durkin

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Mike Locksley who has had multiple stints with Maryland is well known as one of the shadiest recruiters in college football. Maryland played the game (or tried) as well as anyone in both football and hoops. Locksley was with Zook at Florida and Illinois. No secret they had some of their most successful recruiting classes during those years. I mean the stories in hoops go back to the Len Bias days before Gary Williams took over a probation filled program.

My point is that I think because most of us aren't from the East we don't know Maryland. In some ways Maryland is very much like Louisville...just different part of the country. 

Thanks for the info.  I knew their basketball team was dirty (Diamond Stone recruitment), but I didn't know that about their football team.  Maybe they know Durkin isn't afraid to deal with the shady aspect, so that's why they wanted to keep him.

I don't know how all of this works, but is there any way Loh could fire Durkin at this point?  He's got almost the entire country on his side and against the Board.  There's no way they'd be crazy enough to fire Loh at that point.  There'd be an absolute riot.

But I also thought there'd be no way to keep Durkin, and here we are, so maybe they would fire him.  I wouldn't feel very secure in my job if I was DJ Durkin right now.  There's going to be people out for vengeance.

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't know how all of this works, but is there any way Loh could fire Durkin at this point?  He's got almost the entire country on his side and against the Board.  There's no way they'd be crazy enough to fire Loh at that point.  There'd be an absolute riot.

But I also thought there'd be no way to keep Durkin, and here we are, so maybe they would fire him.  I wouldn't feel very secure in my job if I was DJ Durkin right now.  There's going to be people out for vengeance.

There's really no point in it as I understand. If Loh fires Durkin the Regents will fire Loh and replace him with someone who will retain him. All the talking heads are starting to echo what I posted the other day in that this is such a bad look for the University of Maryland and a dumbfounding move on the part of the regents. Any chance of success will be marred by scorned current players and the barrage of negative recruiting they'll receive going forward.

53 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

There's really no point in it as I understand. If Loh fires Durkin the Regents will fire Loh and replace him with someone who will retain him. All the talking heads are starting to echo what I posted the other day in that this is such a bad look for the University of Maryland and a dumbfounding move on the part of the regents. Any chance of success will be marred by scorned current players and the barrage of negative recruiting they'll receive going forward.

I think before this storm, they would have done that, but I don't think they'd be crazy enough to fire Loh and bring Durkin back at this point if Loh did boot him.  Not that it would happen, but that would be an epic move by Loh of calling their bluff at this point.  The backlash of that would be unbelievable.

52 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I think before this storm, they would have done that, but I don't think they'd be crazy enough to fire Loh and bring Durkin back at this point if Loh did boot him.  Not that it would happen, but that would be an epic move by Loh of calling their bluff at this point.  The backlash of that would be unbelievable.

If I was Loh, I would do it.  

2 minutes ago, rico said:

He'd be seen as a hero across the country.  Either the board caves and keeps Loh when he fires Durkin, or they fire Loh and he goes down as a martyr who did the right thing in the face of adversity.  He's done after this year anyway, so I see it as a win-win.  Why not give it a shot.

He could set up a gofundme page for any money lost and he'd get that in a heart beat.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Durkin officially fired. What a dumpster fire

This is what IU looked like(minus the severity of the allegations) to most before/during/after Knight. 15 years later we still haven't recovered. What a dumpster fire Maryland is. Basketball program on shaky ground too. Idiots. 

3 hours ago, rico said:

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

He'd be seen as a hero across the country.  Either the board caves and keeps Loh when he fires Durkin, or they fire Loh and he goes down as a martyr who did the right thing in the face of adversity.  He's done after this year anyway, so I see it as a win-win.  Why not give it a shot.

He could set up a gofundme page for any money lost and he'd get that in a heart beat.

12 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Durkin officially fired. What a dumpster fire

It is unfortunate that everything has to be motivated by a protest her or a protest there. These are grown ass adults. The president should have come out long ago and said that a kid died, something obviously is wrong, the coach is gone, we wish him the best, but the university can’t have this. Try leading instead of following the protest/crowd.

2 hours ago, Payday said:

It is unfortunate that everything has to be motivated by a protest her or a protest there. These are grown ass adults. The president should have come out long ago and said that a kid died, something obviously is wrong, the coach is gone, we wish him the best, but the university can’t have this. Try leading instead of following the protest/crowd.

The fact that they took so long and came to the conclusion to keep him was insane. I really think Loh was wanting to do the right thing, but right or wrong, there are very few people who would lose a job like that over this. And it's easy for people to sit back and say they'd do differently, but until they're in that position, nobody knows how people will react.

The crazy thing is they had to buy out the remainder of Durkin's contract because he was fired "without cause."  Now that Durkin is gone, I expect people to really come down on the board of regents. Despicable act by them to keep Durkin and trying to strong arm the president into their decision.

I don't think this soap opera is over yet.

5 hours ago, rico said:

I dislike Maryland with a passion but I got to hand it to their student government.  

Enough.  Let the dumpster fire continue to burn.

Will be interesting to follow. Torrey Smith came out and is advocating for Mike Locksley. Will be funny if they hire him. He does know the area, can recruit like no other...but his past is checkered with stuff at New Mexico and Illinois. I know more about what happened at Illinois. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Will be interesting to follow. Torrey Smith came out and is advocating for Mike Locksley. Will be funny if they hire him. He does know the area, can recruit like no other...but his past is checkered with stuff at New Mexico and Illinois. I know more about what happened at Illinois. 

I dunno.  Canada has them at 5-3.  I think.

Archived