2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just think it is  a little sad that some adults get so upset over what a pro athlete does with his own life.  What he does is none of our business and don't understand why anyone would question his decision.  It makes me a little depressed about how society is going to the crapper seeing how some supposedly adult people reacts to something minor.  I love sports and use to live and die with every outcome of a game and probably would let this news bother me.  I have learned over time that sports are not that important and shouldn't let things like this bother us so much.

Just my opinion. When you go into the public life you give up certain things. One of those is privacy. Fair or not.....they know that before signing up to be a professional athlete. It's like some public servant positions....you know the deal before. You can't complain afterwards. 

On the flip side I'll say this. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if we hear of legal action out of this. Tickets sold, did Colts know after renewal date, were they put on notice,  trading cards, jersey sales,etc....the list goes on and on.....and the other side which is Andrew himself. He gave interviews last week and week before (Holder) talking about how excited he is to get back on field,etc.....people spend hard earned $ to buy tickets, jerseys,etc....so while I get Andrew can do what he wants I'm also saying there are also consequences to all of it. 

To me Irsay not deciding to recover $24.8M today tells me this story is far from over.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Brissett is a free agent after this year.  It’s going to be intriguing to see what the plan is for the future. I didn’t get to see the game last night. I know it was pre season but the Kelly kid has a decent stat line. Did he look good (again I understand it’s preseason)?  If we find ourselves 3-7 10 games in maybe we should throw him out there and see what happens. Best case we have a surprise option for 20.  Worst case we have a higher draft pick next year. 

Kelly has looked good. The problem is that two game suspension. Walker will probably stay as the backup for the first two games but I’m not a fan at all of him. I think it is very likely the Colts go QB early in the next draft unless Brissett has a breakout season. If he struggles I could see Kelly getting a shot. I could also see Ballard making a trade for another veteran QB for depth. I think the roster will feature 3 QB’s this season after the Luck news.

You heard it hear first. After the season Brady will get out of New England and sign a 1 year deal with the Colts and lead them to a Super Bowl victory. 2 reasons why to say hey Bill I can win it without you and to say hey Peyton you and I have the same number of rings in Indy. Obviously this is all tongue in cheek but that would be something interesting to think about.

20 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Grow up because Luck is far from weak. 

20 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You really need to get a life if you get this upset over something so minor in your life

Hey Scott, aren't you the one who's always railing against Rivals saying that they make things personal when you don't agree with them?

I don't think those quotes above are exactly what the Welcome Wagon people say when they roll up.

In a very strange or weird way I bet there a few folks out at Colts complex this morning with a sense of relief or newness. No longer do they have to worry or answer Luck questions. Obviously they want him there but now they can start fresh. Sometimes stuff like this brings a team even closer and a close team sometimes can overcome talent.

Colts still have a really, really good foundation. Now it will be up to Jacoby to back up what he's been saying for years.

I get the range of emotions.

Personally, Instead of pouting about Luck , I prefer to focus on the fact a team with capable QB's and a much better supporting cast - on both sides - may now, once again, have a chance to really sneak up on everyone since the books are being revised to take Indy down. Many appear to be overlooking the fact this became a better football team NOT ONLY because Luck returned last year, but the quality job Ballard has already done in the offseason building the roster.. Despite their TEAM progress I could envision an overreaction followed by another compelling storyline when they actually put a decent team on the field for whoever takes over starting QB and makes it their job moving forward. 

The last time we saw Luck healthy prior to last year they couldn't protect him, but the very same goes for Brissett. Even if Brissett doesn't end up being the guy , the next guy should have much less to worry about since a good GM is now calling the shots and Reich is coaching and knows how to get a lot out of his QB. I see a lot of snap judgements being made over a team that Chuck Pagano was coaching the last time(2017) Luck was set to be a no go for the season so it looks pretty silly to draw instant conclusions other than Luck is a huge, huge loss and the team still has to move on to play football now whether the fans do or not. 

Anyway. Just a fast response to this tropic . I intend to forgo mincing and overthinking any more of the nonsense I've been reading all over the internet since this news broke. Football time is here!

I apologize for the 2 minutes of revising this post. The initial was before I put my reading glasses on . My post looked so awful when I could actually see it well. Lol 

Chad Kelly is dynamic and has looked quite good in his Bronco and Colt preseason games.  He is accurate and can lead.  He makes plays. He was about to unseat Keenum in Denver to at least get a look before his Halloween incident last year.  If he can stay off the alcohol which seemingly turns him into a psycho  then he could certainly be a solid NFL starting QB.  That's still a hard pill to swallow for an NFL franchise to put their team in the hands of a player with that kind of background. 

11 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

When I read that, my first impression was that the only reason Sudfeld was mentioned was due to the connection to Reich.

Not sure he would be an upgrade to who we currently have. 

I think Kelly is as good as Sudfeld so I wouldn't bring him in

So if you can stand to listen Dakich, which full disclosure I can’t stand him, should be full of comical takes today. I think he’s about to drag anyone that questioned his takes on Andrew over the weekend and today when Trey Wingo told him to clean your own back yard. 

4 minutes ago, IUskim said:

So if you can stand to listen Dakich, which full disclosure I can’t stand him, should be full of comical takes today. I think he’s about to drag anyone that questioned his takes on Andrew over the weekend and today when Trey Wingo told him to clean your own back yard. 

What was DD take on the situation.  I heard Barry Krauss on the post game show calling Luck a Quitter and so did big Joe this morning.

Just now, IU Scott said:

What was DD take on the situation.  I heard Barry Krauss on the post game show calling Luck a Quitter and so did big Joe this morning.

He didn’t go as far as quitter but he called him a fraud and just really questioned his commitment to football. Oh also that he’s been saying for years that luck didn’t want to play anymore. 

10 minutes ago, IUskim said:

He didn’t go as far as quitter but he called him a fraud and just really questioned his commitment to football. Oh also that he’s been saying for years that luck didn’t want to play anymore. 

What is there to question?  Luck admitted he doesn't want to be committed to football and the injuries.  Would it have been any better press for Luck from the media if he spent all year battling his current injury and missing games then retired. 

19 minutes ago, IUskim said:

If he does not have the heart to play football any longer I would rather him retire than just play for the paycheck.  I don't know how he is a fraud because he could have kept quite and not come out and retire.  He could have just went on the IR and just sat out the year while being paid.

3 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

What is there to question?  Luck admitted he doesn't want to be committed to football and the injuries.  Would it have been any better press for Luck from the media if he spent all year battling his current injury and missing games then retired. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If he does not have the heart to play football any longer I would rather him retire than just play for the paycheck.  I don't know how he is a fraud because he could have kept quite and not come out and retire.  He could have just went on the IR and just sat out the year while being paid.

I’m not sure. I guess it was because of the timing and I guess it really just boils down to Dakich being Dakich. 

Decided to head over here to see the takes on Luck’s retirement... Probably one of the craziest sports stories ever.

Here’s my take on it: I get why he made the decision to walk away.  Football is a brutal sport, and he’s dealt with a ton of injuries.  By his own admission, the injuries just took away the “joy” from the game for him.  He was well within his rights to decide to retire.  

But what I just don’t get is the media spin that this decision was so “brave” and “courageous.”   This was not a “brave” decision.  He left the organization and his teammates out to dry 2 weeks before the start of the season because he was sick of rehabbing through injury.  Again, his decision was entirely reasonable given his injury history and the brutal nature of the sport, but the “brave” decision would have been to persevere through another rehab so he could get out on the field for his teammates, the organization, the city, and his own legacy... Even if he was struggling to find “joy” in it.  In this day and age, the definition of “courage” has been entirely twisted into “doing whatever feels right for you.”  It’s ridiculous.  Can’t fault the guy for choosing to walk away, but don’t tell me it was “brave.”

Archived