2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

14 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Vinny set to retire today.  Colts want him to stay but this is coming from Vinny.  Unless something changes, #4 appears to be hanging up the cleats. 

What a career for Vinny!

Only 24 or so guys get to call themselves the greatest at their position of all time in the NFL. He certainly is. I still have all the faith in the world in him but if he needs to go on his own terms he needs to go. Assuming Cole Hedlund will be the guy they call first?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When a player has performed at the level that #4 has for so many years, I am sure he has a standard for himself that he must maintain. It appears as though he doesn't think he can perform to his standards. Rather than put the franchise in the awkward position of having to cut a HOFer, if he is leaving, he's doing so on his own terms. 

I have read enough performance psychology stuff to know that uber successful people are wired differently and think differently than others. I think this goes two ways, and in Adam's mind, he  doesn't think he can meet achieve at a level he has programmed himself to . Doesn't want to fail the team, and making an extremely difficult decision. 

Also, Ballard was working with him on some mechanic issues that were apparent and become noticed after the Chargers game.  Vinny kicks twice per week, last week he moved it up to three times per week.  He has had a nagging knee injury dating back to the prior season. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Only 24 or so guys get to call themselves the greatest at their position of all time in the NFL. He certainly is. I still have all the faith in the world in him but if he needs to go on his own terms he needs to go. Assuming Cole Hedlund will be the guy they call first?

I am not sure who the first call is, I'd def give Cole Hedlund a call to come in along with other kickers to compete.  Here are a few names that come to mind:

Cole Hedlund(Kicked for us during this past preseason)

Cody Parkey(Yes I know he missed the kick last year for the Bears HOWEVER it was tipped at the line.  Also he kicked for us during the preseason a few years back and has familiarity here)

Kai Forbath(veteran, bounced around a little)

Josh Lambo

Nick Rose

45 minutes ago, rico said:

Big Ben out the rest of the year?  Brees out 6 weeks?

So, Romeo, an IU guy toughs it out with a torn ligament in his thumb and plays (for free).  Meanwhile, Brees, a Purdue guy sits it out and counts his millions.  :coffee:

Btw:  Just kidding.  I have all the respect in the world for Brees.  He's class all the way.  But, the story is good for a PU jab, so I had to take advantage.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Reich's decision to believe in Adam I really like. He'll get this stuff figured out. Of course there is some risk but much like Reich's decision yesterday to go for the 1st down...I love the faith he's showing in every single player. 

There was a time(last year) that I was so pissed at Frank...Damn, I love that guy.  I trust him even when I doubt him.

18 minutes ago, rico said:

There was a time(last year) that I was so pissed at Frank...Damn, I love that guy.  I trust him even when I doubt him.

I had to laugh when he went for first down in 4th. Analytics say that's the play.....and also feel of a sideline says that's the play. I remember several pages of discussion about Frank doing that vs Houston last year. Decision didn't work but laid a foundation. Just like yesterday I applaud the call. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I had to laugh when he went for first down in 4th. Analytics say that's the play.....and also feel of a sideline says that's the play. I remember several pages of discussion about Frank doing that vs Houston last year. Decision didn't work but laid a foundation. Just like yesterday I applaud the call. 

Speaking of gutsy calls...my hats off to Fangio.  I loved it...but I can't help but think if he is wondering if he should have just kicked the XP and took his chances in OT.  But I loved the call on his part...Frank taught me those things!

10 hours ago, rico said:

Speaking of gutsy calls...my hats off to Fangio.  I loved it...but I can't help but think if he is wondering if he should have just kicked the XP and took his chances in OT.  But I loved the call on his part...Frank taught me those things!

Tough part of the gig. If you believe in numbers going for 2 is the best route. 

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Not cutting Vinny is going to cost the Colts games.  It is clear he is finished.

The problem is that there are no quality kickers on the street that would be an upgrade.  All the quality kickers are already on rosters so just to bring in someone for the sake of change won't help.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The problem is that there are no quality kickers on the street that would be an upgrade.  All the quality kickers are already on rosters so just to bring in someone for the sake of change won't help.

That's hard to believe.  There are many more college teams than pro teams and most of them have a better kicker than Vinny.  If he costs the Colts another game this is 100% on Ballard and Reich.  I guarantee you the Pats would've cut him already.

Archived