2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It is not getting close but it is already there because every time my team makes a big play the first thing I look at is if there is a flag.

In some cases you very well might be right. I'm sure Detroit fans are fuming this morning because of the 2 phantom hands to face calls on DE Flowers last night that extended Packers drive. Interception call on Walker is 50/50 at best too.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

In some cases you very well might be right. I'm sure Detroit fans are fuming this morning because of the 2 phantom hands to face calls on DE Flowers last night that extended Packers drive. Interception call on Walker is 50/50 at best too.

Detroit was hosed n 3 calls in the 4th quarter last night.  The two hands to the face calls were just horrible and the one long pass play for Detroit should have been a pass interference call but nothing was called.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Detroit was hosed n 3 calls in the 4th quarter last night.  The two hands to the face calls were just horrible and the one long pass play for Detroit should have been a pass interference call but nothing was called.

The Bengals got hosed Sunday by a couple of non calls.  The officiating just plain sucks.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

The Bengals got hosed Sunday by a couple of non calls.  The officiating just plain sucks.

Preaching to the choir and I just think these sports leagues just tries to hard to make everything perfect.  In doing so they are making everything worse and making the sports hard to watch.

Saw a picture from the game last night where the Packers had 13 defenders on the field before a snap. Nobody was running off the field...all 13 players were facing the line of scrimmage. No flags on the play.

I stopped watching non-Colts NFL games years ago, and even some Colts games are no longer must-see TV for me. The NFL is just bad football, and the officiating/replay reviews/incessant commercial breaks have made it unwatchable, among other things. College and high school are a lot more aesthetically pleasing. In high school there are bad calls, but the game goes on. The NFL needs to go back to just playing football and stop over-thinking everything.

9 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Saw a picture from the game last night where the Packers had 13 defenders on the field before a snap. Nobody was running off the field...all 13 players were facing the line of scrimmage. No flags on the play.

I stopped watching non-Colts NFL games years ago, and even some Colts games are no longer must-see TV for me. The NFL is just bad football, and the officiating/replay reviews/incessant commercial breaks have made it unwatchable, among other things. College and high school are a lot more aesthetically pleasing. In high school there are bad calls, but the game goes on. The NFL needs to go back to just playing football and stop over-thinking everything.

What made it even worse was that Lions had gotten flagged for 12 men on the field earlier. This game really was just a horrendous performance by the refs. 

1 minute ago, rico said:

The Jags send Jalen Ramsey to the Rams.  LA gives 2 1st round picks and a 4th rounder to get him.

Saw on twitter last night. With this trade it means Rams will go 5 straight years without 1st round pick. Not that big of a deal considering their first round picks are very late but was curious if a team has ever gone that long without a first round pick.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Saw on twitter last night. With this trade it means Rams will go 5 straight years without 1st round pick. Not that big of a deal considering their first round picks are very late but was curious if a team has ever gone that long without a first round pick.

Now you got me curious!

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If I had a guess I would say that the Redskins back in the 80's and 90's because they use to trade their picks away all the time.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is usually hard to build a solid foundation and have sustain success like that but the Seahawks have done it.

Certain GM's and teams have a track record of hitting pay dirt in later rounds. Pete, Belichick....Jimmy Johnson back in the day....Polian all could do it. Early returns are showing Ballard can do it too. 

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Certain GM's and teams have a track record of hitting pay dirt in later rounds. Pete, Belichick....Jimmy Johnson back in the day....Polian all could do it. Early returns are showing Ballard can do it too. 

Add to that certain teams score very well in free agency.

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If I had a guess I would say that the Redskins back in the 80's and 90's because they use to trade their picks away all the time.

The Redskins didn't have a 1st round pick from 1969 through 1979. They picked Art Monk in 80.

George Allen is mainly to blame. He was their coach from 71-77. He would rather have veterans than draft picks.

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The Redskins didn't have a 1st round pick from 1969 through 1979. They picked Art Monk in 80.

George Allen is mainly to blame. He was their coach from 71-77. He would rather have veterans than draft picks.

And those Allen 'Skins were highly competitive.

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think when Bobby Bethard was their GM he traded away some first round picks as well.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think when Bobby Bethard was their GM he traded away some first round picks as well.

True. The Redskins had no 1st rounder from 84-90...so in 22 years, they had 3 first round picks...Monk, Mark May (81), and Darrell Green (83). All 3 are in the College Football Hall of Fame, and Monk and Green are both in the NFL Hall of Fame. Didn't do bad when they had them.

4 hours ago, rico said:

And those Allen 'Skins were highly competitive.

As opposed to the Bruce Allen Redskins, who can only squeak by the Dolphins (this decade's benchmark for ineptitude) by a point. 

That apple may not have fallen far from the tree, but it got thrashed by a lawn mower after it fell. 

The reason not having first round picks works for the Rams is because they have so much money tied up in Goff, Donald, Gurley, now Ramsey and Cooks. Those 5 guys take up so much of their cap that they can't really afford to add first round picks. They'll have to build around those guys by supplementing with later round picks. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The reason not having first round picks works for the Rams is because they have so much money tied up in Goff, Donald, Gurley, now Ramsey and Cooks. Those 5 guys take up so much of their cap that they can't really afford to add first round picks. They'll have to build around those guys by supplementing with later round picks. 

It works until it doesn't work...so their FO better be on their toes.  Time will tell.

16 hours ago, rico said:

It works until it doesn't work...so their FO better be on their toes.  Time will tell.

Yeah, I'm not advocating for their plan whatsoever. Goff is overpaid, Gurley appears to be on the downside, and they have no money left to pay an offensive line. Just saying why they're ok with trading so many #1's, they won't have the cap room to pay them. 

Archived