2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

Initial reaction: one of the most shocking sports stories I've ever heard.

After a little thought: still surprising but not a total shock. Luck has always been an odd duck for an NFL QB. Not just that he's smart (plenty of others are too), but hardly ever do you see a star athlete as introspective and sensitive as he is. If any of you follow US soccer, his personality reminds me of Landon Donovan... who took a sabbatical from soccer to go travel around Cambodia at age 30.

It sucks for the Colts. Fans have a right to be upset at Luck, just like he has a right to not care what they think and do what's best for himself and his family.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredibly sad...read that he was mentally worn down (from all the injuries I assume.  He's certainly had a ton of physical setbacks and I was ready to see some excellent football this year with the line shaping up and a lot of weapons at his disposal.

It is what it is.  

Obviously this is a tough blow for the Colts, but I don’t know how anyone can do anything but respect Andrew Luck and his decision. He handled himself beautifully in the press conference. He gave his body to football and doesn’t want to do it anymore. I respect that fully.

In typical fashion, Dan Dakich is embarrassing himself on twitter right now. 

Is it not obvious? He's retiring because of chronic injuries. Why did he decide to "screw" the Colts and do it now? Because he was genuinely trying to continue on.

By all accounts, Luck is a stand up guy with a solid work ethic. This isn't a guy that has flaked out consistently. Those same attributes that everyone admired are probably the same that are leading him to retire.

The attitudes being displayed here are somewhere between disappointing and disgusting.

After watching his press conference, I’ll take back what I said. Looks like he wasn’t in a good place and I understand walking away. The timing is extremely unfortunate but it is what it is. 

Pissed that the info leaked tonight as it wasn’t supposed to until tomorrow. The whole booing would’ve been avoided if it hadn’t leaked tonight. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

And, what if he just found out this week that he has a terminal illness?  Do you expect him to play the season because it's more convenient for Colts fans?  Get all the facts before you criticize him.  

Of course that's the easy out. After watching his 50 minutes of drivel......Luck is pretty weak. He knew this stuff for 14 days.  Terminal illness??? Come on dude.

25 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Fans have a right to be upset at Luck

The hell we do. Do you get mad at a construction worker who retires or changes careers due to chronic back problems?

This isn't something voluntary. He doesn't want to retire strictly because he wants to become a missionary in Micronesia. Given the choice, I'm sure he'd keep playing.

44 minutes ago, Shooter said:

It sucks for the Colts. Fans have a right to be upset at Luck, just like he has a right to not care what they think and do what's best for himself and his family.

👍🏼

Seems to cover the whole range of responses I’ve seen on here and rest of the internet tonight.

Some fans being mad at him because the timing seems to hurt the Colts year and their joy of this season.

Some fans being happy for Andrew that is able to decide when HE wants out.

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Obviously this is a tough blow for the Colts, but I don’t know how anyone can do anything but respect Andrew Luck and his decision. He handled himself beautifully in the press conference. He gave his body to football and doesn’t want to do it anymore. I respect that fully.

In typical fashion, Dan Dakich is embarrassing himself on twitter right now. 

Just me. I think Luck handled himself incredibly weak. 

12 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

The hell we do. Do you get mad at a construction worker who retires or changes careers due to chronic back problems?

This isn't something voluntary. He doesn't want to retire strictly because he wants to become a missionary in Micronesia. Given the choice, I'm sure he'd keep playing.

First, I'm not mad at Andrew Luck. Second, what does a construction worker have to do with an NFL QB?

Framing this as simply "chronic injury, can't play anymore" is overly simplistic. The current issue is an ankle / calf injury that has caused him to miss a total of 3 preseason games. He is mentally tired of going through the injury/rehab process, and doesn't want to do it anymore. That's his choice and I don't blame him, but it's not hard to understand why some people will. A lot of people would give up anything to play QB in the NFL. Andrew Luck is not that guy, which is what makes him really interesting.

During the past couple of decades the colts have been my alternative to so many disappointing BB seasons.  Boy, I sure hope Archie can get things rolling ASAP because right now I don't see any reason to be optimistic about the colts in the foreseeable future.  It seems like between IU basketball and the colts it's been constant waiting for the right coach, the great player, or an end to the injuries.

I gave up on baseball decades ago, the NBA after that (and never got invested in IU football for obvious reasons).  Something has go right eventually.  Right?

25 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Irsay looked healthier than luck.   Anyone actually that upset about this needs to go hang out with a paraplegic for a day or visit a cancer ward.  "Bone issue."  Pray to God he doesn't have cancer or there will be a lot of people with karma on their back step. 

And if it turns out he doesn't have bone issues.....can we go back to saying what a weak move that just put the team, fans, and city he cares so deeply for behind the 8 ball for a few years? Colts, Irsay....all his mates stood by behind him in rehab, etc......to me this move is all about one thing. #12 and #12 only. He has every right to do that....but don't get up on stage for 50+ minutes saying all the other things. This was as selfish as it gets. Which again (before the fan police come along) he can do that....but don't talk out both sides.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And if it turns out he doesn't have bone issues.....can we go back to saying what a weak move that just put the team, fans, and city he cares so deeply for behind the 8 ball for a few years? Colts, Irsay....all his mates stood by behind him in rehab, etc......to me this move is all about one thing. #12 and #12 only. He has every right to do that....but don't get up on stage for 50+ minutes saying all the other things. This was as selfish as it gets. Which again (before the fan police come along) he can do that....but don't talk out both sides.

I'm sorry that you are so deeply upset.  

I pose a question.  How much money would it take for you to retire at 29?  

I have personal opinions about luck, his mental fortitude.  For instance after he set out a whole entire year reporters asked him what he's been doing and he said, "playing video games." Can you imagine what Peyton Manning's answer would have been right there?

I don't know if this will be a blessing in disguise for Colts football.  Hammer luck if you want.  Timing blows.  It appears he quit more than retired.  I get it.  

Obviously anyone who follows my posting knows I'm a Bears fan first....but living in Indy it's hard not to support Colts. I cheer for them. I'll let some of the fan police tell other fans how they should react. In terms of football only. People should remind themselves why Ballard said Olines will always be addressed on his watch.....as well as be reminded the ineptness of Ryan Grigson. His inability to address Colts line for years was as much a reason for Luck's injuries as anything.

All of football lost last night. QB's like him don't come along often.

A little over a year ago I got to a pretty good back and forth with a poster I highly respect. He took umbrage with me saying the Colts were closer to being the 32nd ranked than 1st.  I gladly ate my crow several months later when Luck led us the the playoffs. One of the things that I posted was that I did not think Luck would not take another snap in the NFL. I was getting some very good info saying he was done with football.  Not Luck or from Oliver but not far removed. Last year was a year to prove to himself he could overcome the mental part of injuries and all that go with it. This latest injury proved to himself he could not get over that hurdle. 

In my lifetime of sports besides Barry Sanders I don't remember a more shocking early retirement. Wasn't around for Brown or Sayers. How about this for full circle. Colts should call Giants and inquire about Manning. I like Jacoby but I don't think he's the answer. Trying to think of other qb's available. Bridgewater??

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

A little over a year ago I got to a pretty good back and forth with a poster I highly respect. He took umbrage with me saying the Colts were closer to being the 32nd ranked than 1st.  I gladly ate my crow several months later when Luck led us the the playoffs. One of the things that I posted was that I did not think Luck would not take another snap in the NFL. I was getting some very good info saying he was done with football.  Not Luck or from Oliver but not far removed. Last year was a year to prove to himself he could overcome the mental part of injuries and all that go with it. This latest injury proved to himself he could not get over that hurdle. 

Speaking of looking up old threads....in this rare instance I might have to go back and do some old post shopping this morning. Good for you on both sides. Being right, wrong, ultimately right,etc....

Archived