2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Couldn’t possibly disagree more. He showed a ton of toughness, courage and poise yesterday. 

All good. Fans are always open to different view points. This wasn't an out of the blue decision. I don't think it takes poise to have this leaked during a game. I don't think it takes poise or toughness to answer questions when the story broke because of things you set in motion. Feel bad for him in the sense that he was so broke mentally that he made this call but I don't have much empathy for him if he's experiencing some fan backlash. His camp could have sat on this until Monday or Tuesday. During a game? Sorry. I don't agree with that one bit. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All good. Fans are always open to different view points. This wasn't an out of the blue decision. I don't think it takes poise to have this leaked during a game. I don't think it takes poise or toughness to answer questions when the story broke because of things you set in motion. Feel bad for him in the sense that he was so broke mentally that he made this call but I don't have much empathy for him if he's experiencing some fan backlash. His camp could have sat on this until Monday or Tuesday. During a game? Sorry. I don't agree with that one bit. 

Did it come out that Luck’s camp leaked it? 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Did it come out that Luck’s camp leaked it? 

Luck's camp (and others can offer more than I) is pretty small and more silent than a Belichick press conference. It's the only place it could come from initially. After that it's on them for the aftermath. That's why this could have waited until today or Monday. 

Oh well is all I got at this point. No clue on salary cap implications. Not sure if his $ counts as dead for the next 3 years or what. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Luck's camp (and others can offer more than I) is pretty small and more silent than a Belichick press conference. It's the only place it could come from initially. After that it's on them for the aftermath. That's why this could have waited until today or Monday. 

Oh well is all I got at this point. No clue on salary cap implications. Not sure if his $ counts as dead for the next 3 years or what. 

Again though, you’re making an assumption and then basing your opinion off that. The Irsay’s knew and I’m sure a few others in the org. The plan was for Luck to announce it to his teammates postgame and then address the media today. There is nothing in it for Luck to leak that early.

At the end of the day though, it doesn’t really matter. The man made a difficult decision to find happiness in his own life. He doesn’t owe anyone anything, except for himself and his family. He has struggled with injuries his entire career, has his first kid on the way, and has a lifetime of money and more, so he’s making a quality of life decision to be happy. More power to him. 

As an Eagles fan, while I’d be disappointed as well, if Carson Wentz made the same decision today I’d respect it as well. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Again though, you’re making an assumption and then basing your opinion off that. The Irsay’s knew and I’m sure a few others in the org. The plan was for Luck to announce it to his teammates postgame and then address the media today. There is nothing it for Luck to leak that early.

At the end of the day though, it doesn’t really matter. The man made a difficult decision to find happiness in his own life. He doesn’t owe anyone anything, except for himself and his family. He has struggled with injuries his entire career, has his first kid on the way, and has a lifetime of money and more, so he’s making a quality of life decision to be happy. More power to him. 

As an Eagles fan, while I’d be disappointed as well, if Carson Wentz made the same decision today I’d respect it as well. 

I'm curious where things go overall in the NFL. We've been spoiled by Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers and others who have played so long. Does Luck retiring open the gates to others doing the same? 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I'm curious where things go overall in the NFL. We've been spoiled by Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers and others who have played so long. Does Luck retiring open the gates to others doing the same? 

It’s a good question. In the NFL, I think we’re going to see this more, especially now that the salaries are so astronomical and life-changing, and also the money in broadcasting is so good.  

These guys take on life-long debilitation. Why would you do that if you have $50M in the bank at 28 years old and can go become and investor and make six figures working for ESPN, Fox, etc.

My 9year old plays football and there is a kid on his team who's Dad played in the NFL. The guy played a few years and then had to retire because of injuries. He can barely walk. Watching him walk from from his car to the field to watch practice is painful. This guy didn’t have millions in the bank, I don’t think, but if you did why would you do that?

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

It’s a good question. In the NFL, I think we’re going to see this more, especially now that the salaries are so astronomical and life-changing, and also the money in broadcasting is so good.  

These guys take on life-long debilitation. Why would you do that if you have $50M in the bank at 28 years old and can go become and investor and make six figures working for ESPN, Fox, etc.

My 9year old plays football and there is a kid on his team who's Dad played in the NFL. The guy played a few years and then had to retire because of injuries. He can barely walk. Watching him walk from from his car to the field to watch practice is painful. This guy didn’t have millions in the bank, I don’t think, but if you did why would you do that?

To answer the overall question I guess it's simply for the love of the game. Peyton probably still has his first dollar. Has made hundreds of millions...and yet after his 4th or 5th neck surgery he was still trying to play. Some guys just have that make up. Some don't.

Good friend of mine here in Indy was an All American at Ohio St. Played in the league for 7 years. Has a job in NFL PA now....but watching him walk at age 45 or so is heartbreaking. Barely makes it from car to inside the bar without hurting. 

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Obviously this is a tough blow for the Colts, but I don’t know how anyone can do anything but respect Andrew Luck and his decision. He handled himself beautifully in the press conference. He gave his body to football and doesn’t want to do it anymore. I respect that fully.

In typical fashion, Dan Dakich is embarrassing himself on twitter right now. 

I totally agree. I’m a huge Colts fan and incredibly disappointed, but I can’t disparage Luck for the decision. Even in here I’ve seen aweful comments about him. It was his decision and only he truly knows what he has gone through. No matter what, I live what he gave us and am glad that we had him! I wish him nothing but the best! 

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Of course that's the easy out. After watching his 50 minutes of drivel......Luck is pretty weak. He knew this stuff for 14 days.  Terminal illness??? Come on dude.

Grow up because Luck is far from weak.  He finished the game against Denver with a lacerated Kidney and played a whole year with a severe shoulder injury.  It is just football and is for entertainment and stop taking it so seriously.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

And if it turns out he doesn't have bone issues.....can we go back to saying what a weak move that just put the team, fans, and city he cares so deeply for behind the 8 ball for a few years? Colts, Irsay....all his mates stood by behind him in rehab, etc......to me this move is all about one thing. #12 and #12 only. He has every right to do that....but don't get up on stage for 50+ minutes saying all the other things. This was as selfish as it gets. Which again (before the fan police come along) he can do that....but don't talk out both sides.

And that is all it should be because it is his body and his life and not yours and he doesn't own anything to anyone but himself and family.  You really need to get a life if you get this upset over something so minor in your life.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I would say so because the money is so great today that players don't really have to play for years and put their body in that much pain.  Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson just left the Lions and neither one of them had really bad injuries either.

27 minutes ago, rico said:

Supporting them doesn't have to be done by watching them.

Indeed. One could say not watching could spur management to get their act together and make necessary changes to improve the team.

To me sports are the best form of entertainment (now that I can’t play anymore) and I have family and obligations so it has its proper place. I’m not going waste hard earned money and my time on poor entertainment. Thankfully Victor comes back hopefully and IU hopefully will give me something to cheer for. I’ll still root for the Colts but I’m not going out and paying for tickets etc.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

And that is all it should be because it is his body and his life and not yours and he doesn't own anything to anyone but himself and family.  You really need to get a life if you get this upset over something so minor in your life.

I actually disagree. But when you start a sentence with " you really need to get a life" I'll just check out on the adult portion of this conversation. I will say...you always chastise the other board but I must admit you bring a little bit of that board over here more than you might think. Just my two cents.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Did he consider retirement at 29?  Or. is that so long ago, he does not remember?  :coffee:

No doubt. Saw him 2 weeks ago getting his car serviced....normal looking dude until you get to his legs/thighs. Not to go in that direction but damn. My chicken wing legs standing next to him looked awful. 

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I actually disagree. But when you start a sentence with " you really need to get a life" I'll just check out on the adult portion of this conversation. I will say...you always chastise the other board but I must admit you bring a little bit of that board over here more than you might think. Just my two cents.

I just think it is  a little sad that some adults get so upset over what a pro athlete does with his own life.  What he does is none of our business and don't understand why anyone would question his decision.  It makes me a little depressed about how society is going to the crapper seeing how some supposedly adult people reacts to something minor.  I love sports and use to live and die with every outcome of a game and probably would let this news bother me.  I have learned over time that sports are not that important and shouldn't let things like this bother us so much.

Brissett is a free agent after this year.  It’s going to be intriguing to see what the plan is for the future. I didn’t get to see the game last night. I know it was pre season but the Kelly kid has a decent stat line. Did he look good (again I understand it’s preseason)?  If we find ourselves 3-7 10 games in maybe we should throw him out there and see what happens. Best case we have a surprise option for 20.  Worst case we have a higher draft pick next year. 

Archived