2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Been working since the beginning of time. Colts saw it first hand so many times with Peyton. Keep the best off the field and good things usually happen.

Remember one Monday night game at Miami where the Colts only had the ball for 17 minutes but still was able to win.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me the NFL needs to do something about all the penalties we are seeing being called in games.  it is making the game less fun two watch because it is killing the rhythm of the game. Every time your team makes a play you can't get excited because you are looking to see if a penalty will be called.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For me the NFL needs to do something about all the penalties we are seeing being called in games.  it is making the game less fun two watch because it is killing the rhythm of the game. Every time your team makes a play you can't get excited because you are looking to see if a penalty will be called.

And what would be your suggestion/remedy for this?

11 minutes ago, rico said:

And what would be your suggestion/remedy for this?

Well get rid of some of these little touch pass interference penalties.  Also stop having it being roughing the passer if you even touch the QB.  Let them go back to being football players where contact is part of the sport and stop trying to soften the league.  I understand the hits to the head and protecting the players from that but some of the other stuff is just making football to soft.

I think it might have been opening week or the second week and at the end of a game there was a roughing the passer penalty on Bradley Chubb of the Broncos that was horrible.  it pretty much cost the Broncos the game because it was just a good hit on the QB but it was called a roughing penalty and it pro longed the drive that led to a FG.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think it might have been opening week or the second week and at the end of a game there was a roughing the passer penalty on Bradley Chubb of the Broncos that was horrible.  it pretty much cost the Broncos the game because it was just a good hit on the QB but it was called a roughing penalty and it pro longed the drive that led to a FG.

One could say that the running into the kicker penalty cost the Bears the game yesterday...

36 minutes ago, rico said:

One could say that the running into the kicker penalty cost the Bears the game yesterday...

I just went out to my car for a little break and the radio show I was listening to was just ripping on the officials and the NFL.  They was talking about how the games are just unwatchable because there are way to many flags thrown in the games.  They were talking about how bad the officials were in the Cowboys and Packers game and how bad the pass interference call on TY was last night.

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The Colts were able to go into Arrowhead and not only beat the Chiefs, but pretty well dominate them.  That is exactly the type of game execution that will be required to win a road game in the playoffs.  Which makes a bigger statement?  A win like last night or a 52-42 shootout loss where Brissett throws for 475 yards and 6 TDs but where the Colts can do nothing to stop Mahomes?

I agree with the game plan and the strength of the Colts. It’s their O-line and running game. That said Brissett doesn’t read when to throw the ball to receivers very well. He also stares down routes and misses wide open receivers. I’m not complaining because of the game plan it is what it is this year but moving forward I don’t think he is a franchise quarterback and their are a few quality ones it looks like in this years draft. 

I really think Boomer is being under valued.  He may not be elite but IMO, a solid franchise QB.   I think anderson is a lot better but Boomer was the first to run the up tempo no huddle really well.

Yeh,  the whole palmer knee injury stunk.  They still could kept an offensive line after that but they let it deteriorate and he took beatings.  Then came the elbow.  They did a fine job rebuilding that roster but married themselves to Dandy Andy.  Nice guy but yuk.  I know Blake was just another guy but he sure was a fun QB who had a couple of really good seasons. 

I think they are getting 1st rounder offers for Green per ESPN or CBS.  What are they waiting for if true.  I mentioned above that I'd be surprised if they got any decent offer. Guess I'm wrong.  

7 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I think they are getting 1st rounder offers for Green per ESPN or CBS.  What are they waiting for if true.  I mentioned above that I'd be surprised if they got any decent offer. Guess I'm wrong.  

Was having this conversation this morning.  If they got a 1st round pick offered for Green, why the hell is he still a Bengal? Who made that offer....Ryan Grigson?

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I agree with the game plan and the strength of the Colts. It’s their O-line and running game. That said Brissett doesn’t read when to throw the ball to receivers very well. He also stares down routes and misses wide open receivers. I’m not complaining because of the game plan it is what it is this year but moving forward I don’t think he is a franchise quarterback and their are a few quality ones it looks like in this years draft. 

WTH?  It was only last week where receivers were dropping perfectly thrown balls.  

As far as the Colts...even with Luck I figured their record would be exactly what it is right now.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

WTH?  It was only last week where receivers were dropping perfectly thrown balls.  

As far as the Colts...even with Luck I figured their record would be exactly what it is right now.  

At what point did I say anything about record or results. Yes that did happen last week and that’s not on him. I’m talking about success past winning 8-11 regular season games and areas that need to be improved  within his game. If he does that’s great but I don’t know if that will happen because it’s instinctual and that’s hard to learn. 

21 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why has your interest been tepid just because we lost oe player.

Are you really this myopic? It was the organization's best player, the most highly touted prospect in a generation, and the guy the Colts cut a top 5 all time QB to make room for, retiring out of nowhere, and about a decade earlier than anyone expected.

And my interest has been tepid because this probably lowered the team's ceiling by about 3-4 wins, from a team that was a realistic Super Bowl threat to a team that may finish .500. When it comes to pro sports, I'm interested in contending for championships, not being average and hoping the competition takes care of itself.

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To elaborate further on my lack of interest, the NFL is a crap product that's been in decline the last few years, and this is one of the reasons. NFL games are much harder to watch these days because of this.

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Are you really this myopic? It was the organization's best player, the most highly touted prospect in a generation, and the guy the Colts cut a top 5 all time QB to make room for, retiring out of nowhere, and about a decade earlier than anyone expected.

And my interest has been tepid because this probably lowered the team's ceiling by about 3-4 wins, from a team that was a realistic Super Bowl threat to a team that may finish .500. When it comes to pro sports, I'm interested in contending for championships, not being average and hoping the competition takes care of itself.

Well I guess I am just different because I don't root for players but the team so losing a player does not effect me in any way.  Just like when we lsot Payton I stillw atched every game and was backing them at all time.  I loved coach Knight but when he left it did not cause my IU fandom to change one bit.

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I don't like rooting for 'average' pro teams either.  It's why I am a fan of the Reds and the Bengals.  :coffee:

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

To elaborate further on my lack of interest, the NFL is a crap product that's been in decline the last few years, and this is one of the reasons. NFL games are much harder to watch these days because of this.

This is one place I agree with but just losing a player does not effect me in any way.  we all want to win championships but if we don't I won't stop rooting for that team.

I find it hard to get worked up over a single NFL team.  It's kind of been my history not identifying with a team but  I usually root for somebody depending on where I live or if a favorite college player has joins a team.  The NFL as a whole is tough to watch a game with all the stoppages.  It's  Friday Night Lights in Texas and college football seems far more interesting though replay in college football is making it tough also. 

Fantasy Football drives my NFL interest.  Guess what.  The NFL doesn't care if you watch for stats or to root for a team.  They have the Redzone channel and there are no stoppages.  I can handle that now.  I even stream Fantasy Football podcasts all week when driving around town.   

That said, I just wish basketball season will begin.  Luka and the Unicorn make an appearance on ESPN Tuesday night this week. 

Archived