2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not a Bears fan at all but....when is the last time they have had decent receivers? They had Alshon Jeffrey, but who else?

I get and agree with the conversation regarding the Bears hiring defensive oriented coaches, and their poor drafting track record. However, there has to be talent surrounding the qb for him and the team to be successful. I struggle to remember any real weapons the Bears have had on the outside in the recent past.

That's pretty much true, but it goes back to the chicken/egg thing. The QB has to make the decision to throw and deliver a catchable ball. 

Brandon Marshall had over 100 catches in 2 of his 3 seasons with the Bears'. Willie Gault, Curtis Conway, Muhsin Muhammad, Marcus Robinson, and Marty Booker were all good wide receivers.

So I think there's some merit to what you're saying, but I'd like to at least see a Bears' team with a HOF caliber QB at the helm.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not a Bears fan at all but....when is the last time they have had decent receivers? They had Alshon Jeffrey, but who else?

I get and agree with the conversation regarding the Bears hiring defensive oriented coaches, and their poor drafting track record. However, there has to be talent surrounding the qb for him and the team to be successful. I struggle to remember any real weapons the Bears have had on the outside in the recent past.

There was a few stretches when we had Jeffery, Brandon Marshall, and Matt Forte with Cutler but injuries and other stuff never allowed us to sync up. Perfect example (not with all the guys I mentioned) but in 2011 Bears were 7-3 and at the time best team in NFC. Our receiver runs an out when he was supposed to go in....Cutler throws in and ball was intercepted. On int return Cutler was trying to tackle the guy from Chargers and he tears his knee up. We proceed to lose the next 5 and finish 8-8. 

That's just one example. We've never been able to match up our talent...good receivers, poor qb....good qb horrible line...good rb's bad qb...something is always, always messed up and that leads to one place. The inept GM's we've hired over my life. There's a reason those of us wanted Chris Ballard so bad. No shock when they Bears had some of their better drafts he was in the room helping the process. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

There was a few stretches when we had Jeffery, Brandon Marshall, and Matt Forte with Cutler but injuries and other stuff never allowed us to sync up. Perfect example (not with all the guys I mentioned) but in 2011 Bears were 7-3 and at the time best team in NFC. Our receiver runs an out when he was supposed to go in....Cutler throws in and ball was intercepted. On int return Cutler was trying to tackle the guy from Chargers and he tears his knee up. We proceed to lose the next 5 and finish 8-8. 

That's just one example. We've never been able to match up our talent...good receivers, poor qb....good qb horrible line...good rb's bad qb...something is always, always messed up and that leads to one place. The inept GM's we've hired over my life. There's a reason those of us wanted Chris Ballard so bad. No shock when they Bears had some of their better drafts he was in the room helping the process. 

The one constant over the years is the McCaskeys. They'll never sell the team, but I wish they would. Loved GSH, but since he passed, ownership has failed the fan base. 

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The one constant over the years is the McCaskeys. They'll never sell the team, but I wish they would. Loved GSH, but since he passed, ownership has failed the fan base. 

All day long....and I'm just talking about the team and on the field. The whole Soldier Field experience is an absolute train wreck too. Smallest venue or 2nd smallest venue in NFL. Maybe 7 restrooms in the whole stadium (have to leave with 5 minutes to go in half just to maybe see start of 3rd quarter).....barely any in game updates on other games. All tickets are paperless but not strong enough signal at entry when everyone is holding phone up show etickets so creates longer lines....tailgate tickets (if you can afford to buy one) are rare. Only allow 3 hours before game and you must leave 90 minutes after or city starts towing....sorry for the off the field rant.

When on the field problems exist it brings into question the whole operation.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

All day long....and I'm just talking about the team and on the field. The whole Soldier Field experience is an absolute train wreck too. Smallest venue or 2nd smallest venue in NFL. Maybe 7 restrooms in the whole stadium (have to leave with 5 minutes to go in half just to maybe see start of 3rd quarter).....barely any in game updates on other games. All tickets are paperless but not strong enough signal at entry when everyone is holding phone up show etickets so creates longer lines....tailgate tickets (if you can afford to buy one) are rare. Only allow 3 hours before game and you must leave 90 minutes after or city starts towing....sorry for the off the field rant.

When on the field problems exist it brings into question the whole operation.

And now we have this...the Bears have just signed a QB to their practice squad...

safe_image.php?d=AQBAR1ybfyvmSpH5&w=540&h=282&url=https%3A%2F%2Fthecorncob.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F11%2Fbears-cat.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&_nc_hash=AQDt50sY-9r51rJk

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We love to complain but I'd rather learn while getting a win. Colts will be fine. 

I'll take the win, but while I wish Matthew Stafford's injury was less severe, I'm glad he missed this game.

Stafford's one of those unfortunate guys that I think is a damned good QB that's been the victim of mediocre teams and coaching.

Can't believe who the Colts put out there today at the WR position because when Paschal is your #1 WR you are in trouble.  Hoyer was horrible today and shows why he is a backup QB.  the first interception was not his fault because Ebron just let the ball go out of his hands going to the ground and right into the defensive players hands.

The Ebron "TD" catch that wasn't was just bad luck.  Vinny's mixed XP really, really came back to haunt.  There is a reason that Hoyer is not a starter in the league.  All in all as bad as it was they still had a chance to win in the end.  The play calling was atrocious with TOs in your back pocket...pitiful.

So if people pay attention the Dolphins are starting to get better. They have competed in the first half of almost all of their games. Part of their really slow start to the season was because they brought in a lot of new players that weren't part of the team until after training camp. That said the issues with the Colts yesterday was this in order. 

1) The O-line didn't wake up until the second half. I'm not sure what their problem has been

2) Hoyer wanted to play hero to much and didn't just make the simple underneath throw

3) Not having TY

4) Marlon Mack tripping over his own two feet 

5) Vinny 

Oh and I forgot the biggest issue from the loss yesterday. That goes to the offensive coaching staff that prepared Brissett almost all reps leading up to the game. Hoyer got limited reps and that limits the plays that can be called. That is just bad. I get that they hoped Brissett could play but that is poor game preparation on their part. Hoyer should have gotten some reps. At least Kelly has been running plays with the scout team. Hoyer hasn't even done that. 

Saw this tweet this morning. Russell Wilson is so good.

Russell Wilson’s weapons in OT: - A seventh-round running back who can’t stop fumbling - A rookie wideout who was basically a meme - A WR virtually the entire league passed up on waivers - Malik Turner? - A TE who was on the practice squad in September

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Saw this tweet this morning. Russell Wilson is so good.

Russell Wilson’s weapons in OT: - A seventh-round running back who can’t stop fumbling - A rookie wideout who was basically a meme - A WR virtually the entire league passed up on waivers - Malik Turner? - A TE who was on the practice squad in September

Maybe the most unappreciated player in the league. 

Was never a Pete Carroll fan but he is a guy I would love to play for and he seems to genuinely enjoy his team and his guys. 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe the most unappreciated player in the league. 

Was never a Pete Carroll fan but he is a guy I would love to play for and he seems to genuinely enjoy his team and his guys. 

Yep. My uncle lives near Seattle so I get inundated with Seahawk stuff and have gradually warmed up to them over the years. He still won't forgive Pete for not running Lynch vs Patriots but overall Pete has total control of the team/operation/players. Fun team to watch actually. 

Archived