2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

6 minutes ago, rico said:

I can't remember which talking head it was(I am thinking Sims or Esiason) that not all that long ago questioned the Bears on drafting Mitch and letting Howard go.  And then wondered why Chicago didn't go after Bridgewater.  But you and IUFLA know more about the Bears situation than what I do.

I'm sure about every analyst in the country questioned these moves. Howard fell out of favor with Nagy early on because Nagy didn't think Howard had good enough hands out of the backfield. With the way we use (or don't) our backs it wouldn't matter much. 

Not sure on Bridgewater. My guess is because Pace wanted to set his own path and find the diamond in the rough so he could tell everyone how smart he is. In a very average analogy it's similar to Crean recruiting. Sure you find and develop the diamonds (Wade, Victor, OG before he shot up rankings) but over 3-4 drafts (or recruiting classes) taking chances ultimately catches up with you. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, rico said:

What an ugly ending last night...WOW

I've thought about this a bit because typically there's an overreaction by the public. In this instance (swinging a helmet like that at a guys head) I think Garrett deserves not only suspended (without pay) for rest of year....but maybe into next year. If he was on the street he'd still be in jail with arrest charges pending. The NFL spent years trying to figure out a way to correct Vontaze Burfict. Guess what. They never did. 

Garrett deserves a ton of penalties.

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've thought about this a bit because typically there's an overreaction by the public. In this instance (swinging a helmet like that at a guys head) I think Garrett deserves not only suspended (without pay) for rest of year....but maybe into next year. If he was on the street he'd still be in jail with arrest charges pending. The NFL spent years trying to figure out a way to correct Vontaze Burfict. Guess what. They never did. 

Garrett deserves a ton of penalties.

Agree completely.  That is something I would expect Burfict to do.  I would be shocked if suspension does not carry over into next season 

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Agree completely.  That is something I would expect Burfict to do.  I would be shocked if suspension does not carry over into next season 

Some will try and say Rudolph started this by ripping at his helmet,etc...guess what. he probably did. Rudolph shouldn't rip at his helmet and I'm sure he'll be punished. Pouncey will too. But in the world of eye for eye or lex talionis....ripping a helmet off is one thing. That doesn't give Garrett the right to retaliate however he wants without punishment because Rudolph "started" it.

Garrett should be done rest of year. Pouncey will probably get 2-3 games. 

Regarding the actual game. That's some ugly football last night.

56 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Some will try and say Rudolph started this by ripping at his helmet,etc...guess what. he probably did. Rudolph shouldn't rip at his helmet and I'm sure he'll be punished. Pouncey will too. But in the world of eye for eye or lex talionis....ripping a helmet off is one thing. That doesn't give Garrett the right to retaliate however he wants without punishment because Rudolph "started" it.

Garrett should be done rest of year. Pouncey will probably get 2-3 games. 

Regarding the actual game. That's some ugly football last night.

...and one helluva big black eye for the NFL.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

...and one helluva big black eye for the NFL.

Somewhere in midtown Manhattan right now my guess is 20-30 attorneys are starting to study the legal ramifications of historic punishments and what chances they will be overturned because of the NFLPA. I use the word historic because I don't remember a similar action on the field. I'd expect NFL to come out later today that MG is suspended indefinitely while we investigate,etc......

Odd scheduling but Browns play at Steelers 2 weeks from Sunday. 

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Somewhere in midtown Manhattan right now my guess is 20-30 attorneys are starting to study the legal ramifications of historic punishments and what chances they will be overturned because of the NFLPA. I use the word historic because I don't remember a similar action on the field. I'd expect NFL to come out later today that MG is suspended indefinitely while we investigate,etc......

Odd scheduling but Browns play at Steelers 2 weeks from Sunday. 

Well the rematch will be "Must See TV!"  LOL

It was bad.  The possibilities of real damage by the helmet to head are serious.  My guess is rest of the year plus 6-10 next year.  I think there is a bit of an over reaction this morning, things settle a bit.  The talk of most severe punishment ever, I think is nonsense.  The NFL has allowed guys that have punched females and potentially children in the face back on the field.  Maybe most severe punishment ever for on field behavior,  I can go with that.  Then you have to think about, are we even a decade removed from a league that used to pay guys bonuses for knocking guys out of the game?  

21 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It was bad.  The possibilities of real damage by the helmet to head are serious.  My guess is rest of the year plus 6-10 next year.  I think there is a bit of an over reaction this morning, things settle a bit.  The talk of most severe punishment ever, I think is nonsense.  The NFL has allowed guys that have punched females and potentially children in the face back on the field.  Maybe most severe punishment ever for on field behavior,  I can go with that.  Then you have to think about, are we even a decade removed from a league that used to pay guys bonuses for knocking guys out of the game?  

I think those issues are separate ideas. Off field vs on field in front of millions.  The NFL hit those off field issues from let the players involved get killed by public opinion and loss of sponsorship.  This assault was witnessed and deserves the longest suspension in the game IMO 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

This would be a perfect opportunity to set a precedent that this is not going to be tolerated.  I have no problem with hitting him with an assault charge.

It is only a matter of time before the "civil" authorities start getting involved in sporting events.

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think those issues are separate ideas. Off field vs on field in front of millions.  The NFL hit those off field issues from let the players involved get killed by public opinion and loss of sponsorship.  This assault was witnessed and deserves the longest suspension in the game IMO 

And this was a national game...not a regional one.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That's the thing I always look for when trying to decide on a hot issue. Reading tweets from current and former players last night and this morning. General consensus is this. You crossed a line no one goes over. Burfict got 12 games for helmet to helmet hit. Anything less would seem inconsistent. 

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing I always look for when trying to decide on a hot issue. Reading tweets from current and former players last night and this morning. General consensus is this. You crossed a line no one goes over. Burfict got 12 games for helmet to helmet hit. Anything less would seem inconsistent. 

I have no problem with this.  I'm talking about people saying he never plays again or a never steps foot in a stadium again.  That would be great hypocrisy on the part of the NFL and former players that played by a different code.  Head hunting was a thing.  @Billingsley99, I'm not sure I'm following.  Head hunting was witnessed by many.  Quick youtube search of biggest hits on quarterbacks, that old school stuff is wild.  Edit.  I re-read what you wrote.  I get it.  Those off field incidents sort of took care of themselves along with suspensions.  That doesn't take away from the absolute fact of head hunting and bonuses for big hits and knocking guys out.  And if anyone thinks it was just the saints, they are living in another world.  

Edit #2. Just googled.  Ray rice video was on every major network.  

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have no problem with this.  I'm talking about people saying he never plays again or a never steps foot in a stadium again.  That would be great hypocrisy on the part of the NFL and former players that played by a different code.  Head hunting was a thing.  @Billingsley99, I'm not sure I'm following.  Head hunting was witnessed by many.  Quick youtube search of biggest hits on quarterbacks, that old school stuff is wild.  

I don't want his career ended at all. That's just nonsense for people saying stuff like that. Quite honestly I would be ok with a blend of punishment. NFL says you'll be done this year which equates to 6-7 games or whatever and if we see anything from you like this again it's a year on the spot with no pay. 

The guy lost his cool. Penalties have to be enforced for losing your cool.....but i don't want his career ended.

30 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have no problem with this.  I'm talking about people saying he never plays again or a never steps foot in a stadium again.  That would be great hypocrisy on the part of the NFL and former players that played by a different code.  Head hunting was a thing.  @Billingsley99, I'm not sure I'm following.  Head hunting was witnessed by many.  Quick youtube search of biggest hits on quarterbacks, that old school stuff is wild.  

At the time of those things that was part of the sport.  He deserves at least 12 games. My comments were directed at the off field, punching a woman or beating a child, vs. Assault on the field. Todays NFL is not the same game it was even 10 years ago 

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

At the time of those things that was part of the sport.  He deserves at least 12 games. My comments were directed at the off field, punching a woman or beating a child, vs. Assault on the field. Todays NFL is not the same game it was even 10 years ago 

Gotcha.  That's what I figured out once I re-read.  

I'm all for 12-16.  My original opinion was rest of the year plus 6-10.  That would be in the ballpark of 12-16.  

Archived