2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

Thought I knew but went back and looked...they took Jimbo Covert and Willie Gault with those picks. Neither will be in the HOF, but Covert was a 2x All-Pro and a staple on the line for almost a decade, and Gault was a serviceable receiver with better speed than hands.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Thought I knew but went back and looked...they took Jimbo Covert and Willie Gault with those picks. Neither will be in the HOF, but Covert was a 2x All-Pro and a staple on the line for almost a decade, and Gault was a serviceable receiver with better speed than hands.

And Jim Kelley and Dan Marino are in the HoF.  IMO, Blackledge was the only bust in that '83 QB class.

Disappointing loss for Colts yesterday. Total breakdown on special teams and while I like Jacoby the Colts will need to address the position this off season. Injuries haven't helped one bit either but some of these home losses are just embarrassing....Dolphins, Raiders, and Titans should never come into Indy and win.

PS....Deshaun Watson is really good and I expect Antonio Brown to be a Patriot again here soon. Watched Brady forever....he's at his boiling point with those wide receivers.

On 12/2/2019 at 7:15 AM, rico said:

And Jim Kelley and Dan Marino are in the HoF.  IMO, Blackledge was the only bust in that '83 QB class.

Very true but McMahon was as highly thought of coming out of college as Kelly or Marino. Remember, Kelly went to the USFL for 4 years because he didn't want to play in a cold weather city like Buffalo, and Marino had question marks because of a supposed drug habit (which proved to be untrue). If anyone missed on Marino, it was his hometown Steelers...

Sure, in retrospect we can lament missing on those 2...but in the grand scheme I think they, along with Elway, are the only 3 of the vaunted QB class of 83 that had better careers than McMahon. Eason, Blackledge, and O'Brien certainly didn't.

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Very true but McMahon was as highly thought of coming out of college as Kelly or Marino. Remember, Kelly went to the USFL for 4 years because he didn't want to play in a cold weather city like Buffalo, and Marino had question marks because of a supposed drug habit (which proved to be untrue). If anyone missed on Marino, it was his hometown Steelers...

Sure, in retrospect we can lament missing on those 2...but in the grand scheme I think they, along with Elway, are the only 3 of the vaunted QB class of 83 that had better careers than McMahon. Eason, Blackledge, and O'Brien certainly didn't.

McMahon had a career?  LOL

Just got back from a 2 day bender in Chicago that included watching Cowboys get depantsed by Bears. Few things. Probably Mitch's best game as a pro. Hopefully he can build on that. Hard to understand why a QB is infinitely better when on the move instead of pocket guy but MT is. Plenty of bright spots on offense for Bears too plus always nice to beat the Cowboys.

One other thing. I've been lucky enough to go to about a dozen NFL stadiums. If there's a stadium with worse amenities and ease of getting in and out of stadium, lots,etc....I'd like to know. Love going to the games but man it's such a pain when going.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Urban to Dallas?

Seems like the dots (at least initially) are pointing that way. I'm sure USC bringing back Helton is because they back channeled to Urban about interest and was probably told no. Short of something like the ND job opening....seems like this is the one he might want. No recruiting....just football and managing people which Urban seems to be really good at.

I'll even take take it a step further and suggest that since Fangio isn't necessarily working out well with players in Denver....watch Urban go to Dallas, Denver fires Fangio and Fangio heads to Dallas with Urban.

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Seems like the dots (at least initially) are pointing that way. I'm sure USC bringing back Helton is because they back channeled to Urban about interest and was probably told no. Short of something like the ND job opening....seems like this is the one he might want. No recruiting....just football and managing people which Urban seems to be really good at.

I'll even take take it a step further and suggest that since Fangio isn't necessarily working out well with players in Denver....watch Urban go to Dallas, Denver fires Fangio and Fangio heads to Dallas with Urban.

You guys really think so? Meyer always said his dream job was in Columbus. I can't see him getting back into coaching at this point, if ever.

Now I think Lincoln Riley might be a good candidate. But you never know with Jerry Jones. He likes guys with Cowboy ties...

That sounds kinda weird...

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You guys really think so? Meyer always said his dream job was in Columbus. I can't see him getting back into coaching at this point, if ever.

Now I think Lincoln Riley might be a good candidate. But you never know with Jerry Jones. He likes guys with Cowboy ties...

Just throwing stuff out there but the Urban and Cowboys talk has been gaining some steam. Riley has always been Jones target too. Problem remains the same down there. Until Jerry gets out of the way what coach would want that job with handcuffs in place. Urban is a total control guy. Riley would be more subservient.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just throwing stuff out there but the Urban and Cowboys talk has been gaining some steam. Riley has always been Jones target too. Problem remains the same down there. Until Jerry gets out of the way what coach would want that job with handcuffs in place. Urban is a total control guy. Riley would be more subservient.

Agree 100% there. The only more "hands on" owner on the NFL is Daniel Snyder.

Sidenote: when I use to work air traffic down on the Florida Gulf Coast, Jerry Jones plane, callsign N1DC would go into Destin once in a while. The pilot always insisted on calling himself "November One Dallas Cowboy." I always used the proper phonetic "November One Delta Charlie" just to piss them off.

Sidenote 2: One time late on a swimg shift, probably around 9 pm, N1DC was coming into Destin. Only plane I was talking to at the time, so I asked if Mr Jones was on board. Pilot said no, but I would recognize his passenger...he told me it was Michael Irvin. This was a couple of days after the Coke/hooker deal.

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Agree 100% there. The only more "hands on" owner on the NFL is Daniel Snyder.

Sidenote: when I use to work air traffic down on the Florida Gulf Coast, Jerry Jones plane, callsign N1DC would go into Destin once in a while. The pilot always insisted on calling himself "November One Dallas Cowboy." I always used the proper phonetic "November One Delta Charlie" just to piss them off.

Sidenote 2: One time late on a swimg shift, probably around 9 pm, N1DC was coming into Destin. Only plane I was talking to at the time, so I asked if Mr Jones was on board. Pilot said no, but I would recognize his passenger...he told me it was Michael Irvin. This was a couple of days after the Coke/hooker deal.

That stuff is awesome. Curious what the Destin attraction would be. I mean I  know it's gorgeous but you would think Jerry Jones and/or others would be St. George Island or even Fisher Island down south type folks.

Regarding Cowboys.....I mean who wouldn't want to have an owner like Jerry in terms of willingness to spend, help,etc.....but man how he can't let his ego stand down to let football guys do their thing is mind blowing.

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That stuff is awesome. Curious what the Destin attraction would be. I mean I  know it's gorgeous but you would think Jerry Jones and/or others would be St. George Island or even Fisher Island down south type folks.

Regarding Cowboys.....I mean who wouldn't want to have an owner like Jerry in terms of willingness to spend, help,etc.....but man how he can't let his ego stand down to let football guys do their thing is mind blowing.

Destin is gorgeous. Use to be moreso until a lot of people started going there. Michael Jordan had a place down there too.

I would imagine that in the 80s and 90s when Destin was not so well known, it was a good getaway for the rich, and it wasn't a long trip, especially from Dallas.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

This is on totally different take on Urban and what his ego might be.

How many coaches have won national championships at 2 different schools?

How many football coaches have won a national championship in college and won a Super Bowl?

Where I am going with this is that if Urban were to take the Cowboy job.  With an owner that wants a Super Bowl title.  And Urban gets that title then he is in rarified air amongst coaches.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

How many football coaches have won a national championship in college and won a Super Bowl?

Where I am going with this is that if Urban were to take the Cowboy job.  With an owner that wants a Super Bowl title.  And Urban gets that title then he is in rarified air amongst coaches.

It would be rarified, but I always wondered if Urbs got by with some(more than what" everybody is doing") ethical no nos .

Rumors are nothing more than that unless proven, but blind eyes turned at Florida and possibly OSU are also part of the general impression I have of him.

Just ky two cents FWIW .My opinion on Meyer is admittedly -probably not worth 1 cent. I can't say he has not dkne remarkable things at every stop including Utah and also prior to that to warrant his upward mobility , in fairness.

Great football coach .I hate to admit it too.

7 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

It would be rarified, but I always wondered if Urbs got by with some(more than what" everybody is doing") ethical no nos .

Rumors are nothing more than that unless proven, but blind eyes turned at Florida and possibly OSU are also part of the general impression I have of him.

Just ky two cents FWIW .My opinion on Meyer is admittedly -probably not worth 1 cent. I can't say he has not dkne remarkable things at every stop including Utah and also prior to that to warrant his upward mobility , in fairness.

Great football coach .I hate to admit it too.

Maybe Urban wants to be the Larry Brown of football?

3 hours ago, rico said:

Only guys to win titles in college and pros are Jimmy, Pete and I guess we'll let Switzer get credit although that was all Jimmy.

Jimmy is in the category by himself of winning national title as player, college coach and of course Super Bowl title. Urban would definitely like to try and join this rare air.

15 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Welp… The Colts did their best to lose today. Got 3 ints and scored 35 points and still lost!

Tank the rest of the season and lets get a decent QB for next year......

Feel bad for Colts season ticket holders. Pre-season possible Super Bowl and now headed for the toilet bowl

There are o QB's hat will be available where the Colts pick that would be worth picking int he first round.  The reason some teams stay bad is by picking for need over the best player available.  The Colts probably will pick around 15th and you don't just take the best QB if that player does not a have a 1st round grade.  this team needs a big time receiver who can get open and make plays.

Archived