2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Problem with Borrows is that he has only started and played well for one year.

Oh I agree. Huge risks for sure but the upside is worth it if you hit....at least I think so. GM's don't want to be known as the guy who chose Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan. I think Burrows to Bengals, Chase to Redskins....and now Detroit finds themselves in a very good position to stock picks if someone wants to jump in line and get one of the other qb's.....unless they think Stafford is done. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Oh I agree. Huge risks for sure but the upside is worth it if you hit....at least I think so. GM's don't want to be known as the guy who chose Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan. I think Burrows to Bengals, Chase to Redskins....and now Detroit finds themselves in a very good position to stock picks if someone wants to jump in line and get one of the other qb's.....unless they think Stafford is done. 

I know that is what the Bengals will do but if I was making the pick it would be Chase Young.  To me there is a better chance that Burrows will be your Sam Bowie and Young will be Jordan.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Or the GM that took Trubisky!  Sorry, couldn't help myself.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Or the GM that took Trubisky!  Sorry, couldn't help myself.

No worries! Every day somehow I'm reminded of it by many others. I asked my good friend if there will be a time where we might be able to look at Watson and not think what if?? All I got back was the word never. Haha. 

When I look at all od these coaching changes it makes me wonder if these teams actually upgraded or not.  to me it is now a crap shoot when you make new hires because the trend is to go with the young and  unproven assistant coaches.  It reminds me as IU basketball fans that in college basketball when talking about firing your coach a lot of the hires are unproven HC from mid major conferences.

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's a crazy thought. How about Colts 13, 34 and next years 1st round pick to Bengals for 1st overall? 

That's a fleecing on the level with what the Chargers paid to move up one spot to take Ryan Leaf. A 1, a high 2 and next year's 1 to move up 12 spots?

All. Day. Long.

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

When I look at all od these coaching changes it makes me wonder if these teams actually upgraded or not.  to me it is now a crap shoot when you make new hires because the trend is to go with the young and  unproven assistant coaches.  It reminds me as IU basketball fans that in college basketball when talking about firing your coach a lot of the hires are unproven HC from mid major conferences.

A lot of the hires are unproven HC from mid major conferences?  No.  A lot of the hires are proven coaches from mid major conferences.

As far as the NFL, there is a reason other teams plunder the Patriots staff.  

I am going to be watching Rhule with interest.  Did a valiant job with the Bears.  Curious to see if he succeeds in the NFL, if not he will be a commodity in a few years back in the college ranks.

54 minutes ago, rico said:

As far as the NFL, there is a reason other teams plunder the Patriots staff. 

I always wonder what that reason is though. Who is the most successful NFL head coach that is a former Pats assistant? Bill O'Brian, who is pretty good. It's downhill in a hurry from there though. Crennel? Mangini? Schwartz?

I'm thankful McDaniels went back on the Colts, as I think he's Mangini 2.0.

You could argue that Belichik produces better college head coaches than he does pro, and given his authoritarian style, that makes sense.

Now, contrast that with Bill Walch: Seifert (who developed Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak) Holmgren (who developed Gruden and Andy Reid).

Belichik hires assistants that fit his style,but his style is so personalized that it doesn't translate well.

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I always wonder what that reason is though. Who is the most successful NFL head coach that is a former Pats assistant? Bill O'Brian, who is pretty good. It's downhill in a hurry from there though. Crennel? Mangini? Schwartz?

You could argue that Belichik produces better college head coaches than he does pro, and given his authoritarian style, that makes sense.

Now, contrast that with Bill Walch: Seifert (who developed Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak) Holmgren (who developed Gruden and Andy Reid).

Belichik hires assistants that fit his style,but his style is so personalized that it doesn't translate well.

They have the "aura" of being winners...thus they are sought after.  O'Brien is by far the best one and he has done it as a HC at two levels.  Heck he got Penn St. back up and running.

As far as Walsh, you left out the recently departed Wyche!

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Matt Rhule is the 6th highest paid coach at 8.5 a year

Funny how college salaries are now dictating NFL salaries. Giants got word what it was going to cost and balked. That's an ownership problem and my guess they will be looking for a new head coach in 3 years.

16 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Parcells still has the greatest coaching tree ever. Belichick, Payton, Coughlin.....but Walsh has the volume I believe with as many as 15 head coaches I remember seeing. 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Good find. Always forget about my man Marty. 

Yep good ole Marty.  I do believe he has the most wins all-time for never making it to the championship.  To think that the Redskins fired him after 1 year(8-8) to hire Spurrier is laughable.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Heard a good theory this morning.  He said the Browns need to offer Lincoln Riley whatever it takes until he says yes, then go get Wade Phillips.  Actually makes sense.

4 of 5 positions are filled, guess no assistant coaches of the remaining teams will have legit shot at a HC position 

I know it's an NFL gig but to me the stars have to be aligned and ownership in Cleveland isn't trustworthy. If I'm a guy like Riley I keep waiting for the right fit where team, talent, GM and ownership all are on same page. Cleveland isn't the place for first time head coaches. If he went there....I think he'd be a 1 and done. Not the good kind. 

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know it's an NFL gig but to me the stars have to be aligned and ownership in Cleveland isn't trustworthy. If I'm a guy like Riley I keep waiting for the right fit where team, talent, GM and ownership all are on same page. Cleveland isn't the place for first time head coaches. If he went there....I think he'd be a 1 and done. Not the good kind. 

Cannot argue with that.  I would love to see McDaniels go to Cleveland and the whole implode. Who do you think would be a win win for both parties 

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Cannot argue with that.  I would love to see McDaniels go to Cleveland and the whole implode. Who do you think would be a win win for both parties 

So many factors involved but I've never understood why Jim Caldwell's name doesn't get brought up more. Calming influence, did actually really well at Detroit, helped turn Ravens offense around in 2012 and did well enough in Indy until Peyton's injuries cost him his job. Cleveland needs a stable dude that can corral some of the ponies they have there. Caldwell would be on my list of realistic options. 

There are many other big names but I just don't think anyone would go to Cleveland. 

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So many factors involved but I've never understood why Jim Caldwell's name doesn't get brought up more. Calming influence, did actually really well at Detroit, helped turn Ravens offense around in 2012 and did well enough in Indy until Peyton's injuries cost him his job. Cleveland needs a stable dude that can corral some of the ponies they have there. Caldwell would be on my list of realistic options. 

There are many other big names but I just don't think anyone would go to Cleveland. 

Bobby Petrino would be perfect for them...😁

Titans-One win away from Super Bowl. Yep...saw that coming! Titans are also only NFL team to win multiple postseason games while throwing for under 100 yards each time since Dolphins and Steelers of early 70's. Scary part is they've already beat the Texans and Chiefs this year.

Regarding 49ers/Vikings-Pretty much how I thought that one would play out. Saints still have to be kicking themselves. 49ers hosting either Packers (who they destroyed earlier this year or Seahawks who they've beat recently).  

It will be nice to have some new blood in the Super Bowl...but if it ends up Titans vs Packers I might puke. 

Edit-Forgot to add. Ravens rested their starters in week 17 and obviously had last week off. That rust just doesn't evaporate.....you could tell which team was playing with momentum and which team had rust all night.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Titans-One win away from Super Bowl. Yep...saw that coming! Titans are also only NFL team to win multiple postseason games while throwing for under 100 yards each time since Dolphins and Steelers of early 70's. Scary part is they've already beat the Texans and Chiefs this year.

Regarding 49ers/Vikings-Pretty much how I thought that one would play out. Saints still have to be kicking themselves. 49ers hosting either Packers (who they destroyed earlier this year or Seahawks who they've beat recently).  

It will be nice to have some new blood in the Super Bowl...but if it ends up Titans vs Packers I might puke. 

Edit-Forgot to add. Ravens rested their starters in week 17 and obviously had last week off. That rust just doesn't evaporate.....you could tell which team was playing with momentum and which team had rust all night.

Vrabel believes in that old tried and true NFL winning formula. Run it, and play defense. It works...and having Derrick Henry helps...

That said, WTF has happened to SportsCenter? I want to see the highlights and some limited analysis of the games, not a bunch of yacky-doodles who have no idea what they're talking about...

There's a huge void out there for some network to fill...put on a sports highlight show that actually shows the highlights and doesn't make me suffer through people who, in the immortal words of someone I admire, "Don't know their ass from 3rd base."

Archived