2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the frustration of Colts fans. Dominate the league for decade plus and the AFC Title game of 4 years ago seems like a lifetime ago.  Takes awhile to clean up the messes/decisions of Grigson. Colts have some very promising pieces on defense plus they will more than likely have another top 8 pick. That along with $127M in cap space...just eat one more season. After this one I expect the Colts to be back where they should be....and I say this as a Bears fan. 

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I really want to know how an NFL team rebuilding or not cannot find a running back. A few years ago i would be up all night for any colts game. I watched the 1st quarter last night and went to bed. I just cant get excited about the product the last few years.

The last two drafts they have drafted 3 RB"S (Mack, Wilkens and Hines) and they have shown some flashes but not consistency.  Mack just can't seem to stay healthy so who knows how good he can be.  Many think that the Colts are in the lead to Bell from Pittsburgh if they trade him.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The last two drafts they have drafted 3 RB"S (Mack, Wilkens and Hines) and they have shown some flashes but not consistency.  Mack just can't seem to stay healthy so who knows how good he can be.  Many think that the Colts are in the lead to Bell from Pittsburgh if they trade him.

I would like to think that to be a possibility but at this point i am not confident in them acquiring a good back.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I would like to think that to be a possibility but at this point i am not confident in them acquiring a good back.

Million dollar question. Giants took Barkley at 2 and Patriots took Sony Michel at 31. Only 5 games in I know but on the surface...I don't see much difference between the two right now. Again....things can change but would Colts fans want to lock up $ on Bell...or take that money and spend on lineman and wide receivers. Or just do them all? Haha..

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I always think back to my youth when the Dolphins dominated.  Bob Griese seemed to never throw a pass but their RB's just chewed up yardage.  Not far removed from those glory day enter one Dan Marino.  Same HC, new QB.  Shula completely changed how the offense was.  It became a pass first team.  But Dan only appeared in one SB.  Miami fans always blamed it on not having a running game.  But the truth is/was from an outside observer was they didn't have defense like they did in the 70's.  Now apply that to the Colts.....I long for a running game, but if I am them I worry about D first.

Just my thoughts.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Million dollar question. Giants took Barkley at 2 and Patriots took Sony Michel at 31. Only 5 games in I know but on the surface...I don't see much difference between the two right now. Again....things can change but would Colts fans want to lock up $ on Bell...or take that money and spend on lineman and wide receivers. Or just do them all? Haha..

In all honesty i would not care. Peyton is without question one of the greatest of all time. Many anointed Luck to be the next PM. Sorry at this point there is no real comparison IMO. Manning had backs that were much more than servicable and were a threat. We have no threat. At least make teams have some worry about your run game. I dont care if we go back to spending everything on the offense and just try to run up the points.  Even if we have a lead late or need 1 or 2 yards we cant get it on the ground to keep the chains moving 

I am all for backing up the brinks truck to bells house and unload it

25 minutes ago, rico said:

I always think back to my youth when the Dolphins dominated.  Bob Griese seemed to never throw a pass but their RB's just chewed up yardage.  Not far removed from those glory day enter one Dan Marino.  Same HC, new QB.  Shula completely changed how the offense was.  It became a pass first team.  But Dan only appeared in one SB.  Miami fans always blamed it on not having a running game.  But the truth is/was from an outside observer was they didn't have defense like they did in the 70's.  Now apply that to the Colts.....I long for a running game, but if I am them I worry about D first.

Just my thoughts.

I agree with most of that but for years we have not been able to sustain drives and finish teams off even with a lead.  We are wasting a good QB with no run game.

I am never happy. I said we wasted 4 or 5 super bowl opportunities because we never gave PM any defense

The Colts' management should be very excited about this team. While the talent still needs some upgrades, they play awfully hard and have bought into Reich, imo. The defense has improved, even though it didn't look like it last night. Hard to overcome as many injuries as they have had.

As far as the running game, I somewhat agree. It does help to be able to take time off the clock and close out games by running the ball down an opponent's  throat. However, the game has become a passing game. The rules and restrictions have been put in place to put an emphasis on the passing game. Guys like Hines, a poor man's Darren Sproles, become much more valuable because they can run the ball, but are probably more dangerous catching it. James White last night is another good example.

Leveon Bell would certainly be a big name splash for the Colts. In my opinion it would be a mistake to sign him as it goes against everything Ballard has done thus far... building a young team to compete for titles as they mature 

On 10/5/2018 at 9:36 AM, Seeking6 said:

I understand the frustration of Colts fans. Dominate the league for decade plus and the AFC Title game of 4 years ago seems like a lifetime ago.  Takes awhile to clean up the messes/decisions of Grigson. Colts have some very promising pieces on defense plus they will more than likely have another top 8 pick. That along with $127M in cap space...just eat one more season. After this one I expect the Colts to be back where they should be....and I say this as a Bears fan. 

The cap space the Colts have is unreal. They could take on Brees and Staffords contract and still have the second most space. Brissett also should be a great asset to add a second or third round pick. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The cap space the Colts have is unreal. They could take on Brees and Staffords contract and still have the second most space. Brissett also should be a great asset to add a second or third round pick. 

You got me curious.......

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783459-an-early-look-at-the-2019-nfl-free-agent-class#slide0

Ballard needs to make a splash in free agency this offseason.  It was a mistake to wait after seeing how this team has performed.  I get it, you probably want to see how Luck does this year, but we could easily be 4-1 with 2 cupcake teams coming up.   The defense is ahead of schedule and we are a WR, RB and 4 OT's lol away from having a really good offense.  No more excuses after this year.  We look like we are going to get a great spot in the draft and have sooo much money to spend. No more wasting Luck.

I want to see us sign a couple OT's then take a defensive guy 1st round (CB, LB, or DE?). Then sign someone like Golden Tate and an HB to compliment Hines. We can be really good next year.

14 hours ago, CapnRon said:

Ballard needs to make a splash in free agency this offseason.  It was a mistake to wait after seeing how this team has performed.  I get it, you probably want to see how Luck does this year, but we could easily be 4-1 with 2 cupcake teams coming up.   The defense is ahead of schedule and we are a WR, RB and 4 OT's lol away from having a really good offense.  No more excuses after this year.  We look like we are going to get a great spot in the draft and have sooo much money to spend. No more wasting Luck.

I want to see us sign a couple OT's then take a defensive guy 1st round (CB, LB, or DE?). Then sign someone like Golden Tate and an HB to compliment Hines. We can be really good next year.

I see them taking a D-lineman with the 1st round pick.  A do believe they have 2 second round picks(?) then I get 2 DB's.  

1 minute ago, rico said:

I see them taking a D-lineman with the 1st round pick.  A do believe they have 2 second round picks(?) then I get 2 DB's.  

Until Andrew Luck can stay upright for an entire season...if it's me I'm getting the best available OLineman (unless there's a no brainer skill guy available) every draft until the line is shored up. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Until Andrew Luck can stay upright for an entire season...if it's me I'm getting the best available OLineman (unless there's a no brainer skill guy available) every draft until the line is shored up. 

JMO.......OLinemen can be found in free agency.

If a big time WR is available in the 1st, I take him.

2nd Round, I take a DB and a DE or LB. I'd still like to see what Lewis from OSU can do before taking a DE though.

The O Line isn't actually that bad this year. Assuming Castanzo comes back and plays even average, you've got Castanzo, Nelson, Kelly, Haeg/Clark/Good, and Smith. Braden Smith actually played really good at RT the last game. Very nice to see.

Wouldn't hurt to have a little extra depth, but I think we have a good young core at OL. We need to start grabbing playmakers. WR is a great place to start. I'm not sold on TY being a #1.

5 hours ago, ephul said:

2nd Round, I take a DB and a DE or LB. I'd still like to see what Lewis from OSU can do before taking a DE though.

The O Line isn't actually that bad this year. Assuming Castanzo comes back and plays even average, you've got Castanzo, Nelson, Kelly, Haeg/Clark/Good, and Smith. Braden Smith actually played really good at RT the last game. Very nice to see.

Wouldn't hurt to have a little extra depth, but I think we have a good young core at OL. We need to start grabbing playmakers. WR is a great place to start. I'm not sold on TY being a #1.

To me these are the biggest needs

OT

Interior DL

WR

CB

RB

8 hours ago, ephul said:

Who is out there at WR?

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Ohio State has a couple of good ones. 

The SEC always has speed .

Or, maybe they can find the Indiana version of Adam Thielen.

I went and looked at a couple of mock drafts after you mentioned that.  I see two guys projected to go late in the 1st round....one from Ole Miss the other from Arizona St.

Archived