2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Decided to head over here to see the takes on Luck’s retirement... Probably one of the craziest sports stories ever.

Here’s my take on it: I get why he made the decision to walk away.  Football is a brutal sport, and he’s dealt with a ton of injuries.  By his own admission, the injuries just took away the “joy” from the game for him.  He was well within his rights to decide to retire.  

But what I just don’t get is the media spin that this decision was so “brave” and “courageous.”   This was not a “brave” decision.  He left the organization and his teammates out to dry 2 weeks before the start of the season because he was sick of rehabbing through injury.  Again, his decision was entirely reasonable given his injury history and the brutal nature of the sport, but the “brave” decision would have been to persevere through another rehab so he could get out on the field for his teammates, the organization, the city, and his own legacy... Even if he was struggling to find “joy” in it.  In this day and age, the definition of “courage” has been entirely twisted into “doing whatever feels right for you.”  It’s ridiculous.  Can’t fault the guy for choosing to walk away, but don’t tell me it was “brave.”

Not sure on the "brave" part, but first and foremost, his legacy should be to his wife and future child(ren(.

Let me play some devils advocate on this one. Would your opinion change if management had known for weeks and still parading Luck out there and saying things like ,"if it were a regular season game I would suit up." or "He is progressing in a positive direction" and the many other BS lines that have been spoken the last few weeks.  There is a lot of evidence to make one believe that they were told almost 2 weeks ago and instead of notifying their (stockholders) fans, season ticket holders they waited for more tickets to be sold. 

Lets pay Luck his 26 million to retire but not pay Manning his 26 and let him walk. Not turning this into a Luck vs Manning( not in the same galaxy) discussion but I believe he has known and management has known as as long as Luck played along with Irsay's game he would get paid.  I do not feel that the booing was appropriate but I as a season ticket holder would feel that the wool was pulled over my eyes from an organization that has been very far from transparent. 

As i was typing this I just got a message on how to purchase my single game tickets from Colts.com😀

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Let me play some devils advocate on this one. Would your opinion change if management had known for weeks and still parading Luck out there and saying things like ,"if it were a regular season game I would suit up." or "He is progressing in a positive direction" and the many other BS lines that have been spoken the last few weeks.  There is a lot of evidence to make one believe that they were told almost 2 weeks ago and instead of notifying their (stockholders) fans, season ticket holders they waited for more tickets to be sold. 

Lets pay Luck his 26 million to retire but not pay Manning his 26 and let him walk. Not turning this into a Luck vs Manning( not in the same galaxy) discussion but I believe he has known and management has known as as long as Luck played along with Irsay's game he would get paid.  I do not feel that the booing was appropriate but I as a season ticket holder would feel that the wool was pulled over my eyes from an organization that has been very far from transparent. 

As i was typing this I just got a message on how to purchase my single game tickets from Colts.com😀

I don't believe that for one bit because I don't think Luck finally decided to retire until a few days ago.  what benefit would that do for the Colts because season ticket applications had to be turned in way before now.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I don't believe that for one bit because I don't think Luck finally decided to retire until a few days ago.  what benefit would that do for the Colts because season ticket applications had to be turned in way before now.

I can't say because I was not in the room but I was told that a meeting with Luck his agent and the Colts admin happened a few days before the cooperative practice with Cleveland. Maybe nothing maybe did not even happen but at this point I am not putting anything past ownership

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I can't say because I was not in the room but I was told that a meeting with Luck his agent and the Colts admin happened a few days before the cooperative practice with Cleveland. Maybe nothing maybe did not even happen but at this point I am not putting anything past ownership

I am sure that he told them he was thinking about it but did not decide until a few days ago.  also those practices with Cleveland was less than two weeks ago so it was not like it was happening for the last 3 months.  I just don't get all of this conspiracy stuff that goes around sports today or why fans actually thinks it is happening.

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I just find any decision to bail on the team by asking for a refund to be shortsighted. Ballard and Reich have done an awesome job of putting this team together. For many years, even many of the Peyton years, the team was not nearly as well rounded as this one appears to be. People that are willing to quit on them before the season even starts will be the same folks wanting to jump back on the bandwagon when they win.

I played and coached football and everything I was ever taught or passed on to my players, the message was always, no one player is bigger than, or more important than, the team. Yes, it will be difficult to replace Luck. Not impossible though.

I am neither naive enough to dismiss what you say about the team and the "business decision" you believe they made, nor am I cynical enough to think that Luck was part of some scheme to pull one over on the fans. I watched every second of his press conference, and nothing in it conveyed that he was anything but completely torn over his decision. What came across to me was a deep love...for the franchise, his teammates, his coaches, and probably most deeply, the game. What I also saw was a guy who knew that if he couldn't perform to his standards, he would be leaving all of the above down. 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am sure that he told them he was thinking about it but did not decide until a few days ago.  also those practices with Cleveland was less than two weeks ago so it was not like it was happening for the last 3 months.  I just don't get all of this conspiracy stuff that goes around sports today or why fans actually thinks it is happening.

Yet it did not stop him or coach or to make everything sound like week 1 Luck will be a go. How many tix were bought in the past 14 days??  I am not saying its a conspiracy but I am not naive enough to think Luck woke up Saturday and said I am done and thats when the Colts found out. 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yet it did not stop him or coach or to make everything sound like week 1 Luck will be a go. How many tix were bought in the past 14 days??  I am not saying its a conspiracy but I am not naive enough to think Luck woke up Saturday and said I am done and thats when the Colts found out. 

Did not say he woke up Saturday and decided but I don't think it has been a dog and pony show just putting him out there to sell tickets either.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Did not say he woke up Saturday and decided but I don't think it has been a dog and pony show just putting him out there to sell tickets either.

I disagree wholeheartedly on this one. This is 2017 all over again.  Every owner of every pro team will do what they have to in order to fill their stadium.  How id the info get leaked out during the game Saturday?

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I disagree wholeheartedly on this one. This is 2017 all over again.  Every owner of every pro team will do what they have to in order to fill their stadium.  How id the info get leaked out during the game Saturday?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this topic.  Listening to the radio yesterday and some of the people think it was an agent of a player on the team that leaked the info.

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this topic.  Listening to the radio yesterday and some of the people think it was an agent of a player on the team that leaked the info.

Who are "some of the people?"  

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't believe for a second that this was some conspiracy to deceive fans and sell more tickets. I'm sure with a Super Bowl contending roster and selling tickets/merchandise on the line, Colts management tried to convince Luck to think as long as possible in hopes he'd change his mind. I bet they thought they could delay and maybe the leg/ankle would improve, etc. Luck was probably hoping the same. 

It stinks that season ticket holders may be collateral damage from the waiting, but I don't for a second believe that Colts management and Luck had a final decision on this retirement for a long time and purposefully conspired to hide it to trick fans/ticket holders.  

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't believe for a second that this was some conspiracy to deceive fans and sell more tickets. I'm sure with a Super Bowl contending roster and selling tickets/merchandise on the line, Colts management tried to convince Luck to think as long as possible in hopes he'd change his mind. I bet they thought they could delay and maybe the leg/ankle would improve, etc. Luck was probably hoping the same. 

It stinks that season ticket holders may be collateral damage from the waiting, but I don't for a second believe that management and Luck had a final decision on this retirement for a long time and purposefully conspired to hide it to trick fans/ticket holders.  

There is just something that just does not sit right from the top. Maybe just lack of trust from all the lies in 2017. I did hear that Irsay was informed 2 weeks ago.

4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Decided to head over here to see the takes on Luck’s retirement... Probably one of the craziest sports stories ever.

Here’s my take on it: I get why he made the decision to walk away.  Football is a brutal sport, and he’s dealt with a ton of injuries.  By his own admission, the injuries just took away the “joy” from the game for him.  He was well within his rights to decide to retire.  

But what I just don’t get is the media spin that this decision was so “brave” and “courageous.”   This was not a “brave” decision.  He left the organization and his teammates out to dry 2 weeks before the start of the season because he was sick of rehabbing through injury.  Again, his decision was entirely reasonable given his injury history and the brutal nature of the sport, but the “brave” decision would have been to persevere through another rehab so he could get out on the field for his teammates, the organization, the city, and his own legacy... Even if he was struggling to find “joy” in it.  In this day and age, the definition of “courage” has been entirely twisted into “doing whatever feels right for you.”  It’s ridiculous.  Can’t fault the guy for choosing to walk away, but don’t tell me it was “brave.”

Amen. What I said exactly when the story broke. I feel bad for Luck that the joy has been taken away. He did what he thinks is right. With that said....I don't want all the adjectives to describe him. He hung his guys out to dry 2 weeks from the opener.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

There is just something that just does not sit right from the top. Maybe just lack of trust from all the lies in 2017. I did hear that Irsay was informed 2 weeks ago.

Yeah, Luck himself said week to 2 weeks ago when he first approached the Colts. But what would be your first reaction to that type of news? Mine wouldn't be to hatch some conspiracy plan, mine would be to try and convince him to change his mind, or at minimum sit on it a while longer in hopes something changes. I would implore him to think on it longer, not because of money, but because I want him on my team. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I'm hoping no one is putting this on Irsay. Luck didn't get to this conclusion in the past 10 days. These decisions are months if not years in the making. Let's say season per ticket game costs $200 (inflated number for my point). 10 home games. $2,000 per seat per year. Let's say the Colts sold 5,000 seats on what people are suggesting about holding this news to help ticket sales.

5,000 x $2,000= $10,000,000......which is absolutely a grain of sand in the whole operation. If you are worth $1B (Irsay is worth more) and estate is growing at just 2% per year.....that is $20M in interest alone. You aren't worrying about ticket sales that equate to so very, very, very little in the big scope of things. Now I'll listen to other ideas....but blaming the Colts because people think this was a $ decision? Give me a break. 

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm hoping no one is putting this on Irsay. Luck didn't get to this conclusion in the past 10 days. These decisions are months if not years in the making. Let's say season per ticket game costs $200 (inflated number for my point). 10 home games. $2,000 per seat per year. Let's say the Colts sold 5,000 seats on what people are suggesting about holding this news to help ticket sales.

5,000 x $2,000= $10,000,000......which is absolutely a grain of sand in the whole operation. If you are worth $1B (Irsay is worth more) and estate is growing at just 2% per year.....that is $20M in interest alone. You aren't worrying about ticket sales that equate to so very, very, very little in the big scope of things. Now I'll listen to other ideas....but blaming the Colts because people think this was a $ decision? Give me a break. 

Not saying that at all. I just feel that the past behavior of Irsay and management has caused reason to question things. I for one was shocked Luck played last year.  I do believe the Colts sat on this info as long as they could. 

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Not saying that at all. I just feel that the past behavior of Irsay and management has caused reason to question things. I for one was shocked Luck played last year.  I do believe the Colts sat on this info as long as they could. 

Funny stuff. I was just editing to say my comment wasn't directed at you....was just replying in general. You've been on this one since day 1. If the Colts sat on the info I think they sat on it because kids (yes....Andrew at age 29 is still a kid) sometimes aren't thinking of every possible option. I for one believe that Colts paid the $24.8 because I think they think he'll be back someday. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree they sat on it, but not as part of some conspiracy to deceive fans and make more money, the most likely scenario is they sat on it in hopes Luck would change his mind and/or that the leg would somehow make significant progress. The Colts want Andrew Luck to be their QB, he's one of the best in the game, they didn't want him to retire. 

Archived