2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

3 hours ago, rico said:

Who is out there at WR?

Ole Miss has 3 big time receivers. Only 1 may be eligible to come out, I honestly have no idea how old they are. But they are fantastic. Size and speed.

Arizona State has one and Notre Dame has some decent ones.

I dont think you can really tell at this point. Ballard drafts guys moreso on their stats than he does physical traits. This year is a perfect example. Keep your eyes on the Senior Bowl and other "All Star" games. Ballard wants guys that have produced.

Not saying you reach for a WR, but we need playmakers ar WR. Luck has no big threats. TY is good, but I dont think hes good enough to carry a WR Corp on his back

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

2019 WR free agents include:

-OBJ

-Stephon Diggs

- Golden Tate

-Larry Fitzgerald 

-Randall Cobb

-Martavis Bryant

-Brandin Cooks

So, do you spend on one of these guys and fill other needs through the draft?

OBJ signed an extension. Tate, Fitz and Cobb are old. That leaves Cooks, Bryant and Diggs. LAR gave up a lot to get Cooks, I doubt they let him walk. Bryant is a complete head case and has produced in a few years now. That leaves Diggs; great choice but can we get him? Do we want to put all our eggs in the basket? 

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

OBJ signed an extension. Tate, Fitz and Cobb are old. That leaves Cooks, Bryant and Diggs. LAR gave up a lot to get Cooks, I doubt they let him walk. Bryant is a complete head case and has produced in a few years now. That leaves Diggs; great choice but can we get him? Do we want to put all our eggs in the basket? 

Yep. Diggs is the only one I would entertain on that list. Problem is you already have similar player in TY. You need an across the middle possession moving WR who can still make the big play too. Guy like Adam Thielen comes to mind.

Slauson, the FA lineman picked up this offseason played the entire second half with two broken vertebrae. His quote, " As long as I could stand up, I was playing." 

He could have been paralyzed had his spinal cord been compromised. Thankfully, he wasn't. he didn't know until the game was over the severity of his injury.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, rico said:

WTH?  The Colts are a running team.  Wow.

Refreshing isn't it? And it's amazing how many more points we put on the board when we can run.

Completely opens up the passing game.... And don't let those run stats fool you, they are doing just as good in pass protection.

5 minutes ago, ephul said:

Refreshing isn't it? And it's amazing how many more points we put on the board when we can run.

Completely opens up the passing game.... And don't let those run stats fool you, they are doing just as good in pass protection.

During the Colts radio broadcast they said this was the first time since '71 that they had back to back 200 yard+ rushing games.

48 minutes ago, ephul said:

Team is certainly coming together. Maybe this Ballard guy knows what he's doing? Haha...I'll say it again and again. Ballard is one of the best in the business. Just a matter of time. Are there holes in the team? Certainly. But you can see a core forming now another draft/free agency with another year of development for the youngsters and you can see things shaping up. 

48 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Team is certainly coming together. Maybe this Ballard guy knows what he's doing? Haha...I'll say it again and again. Ballard is one of the best in the business. Just a matter of time. Are there holes in the team? Certainly. But you can see a core forming now another draft/free agency with another year of development for the youngsters and you can see things shaping up. 

It's hard to say Ballard is the best, as we never knew how involved he was with the Chiefs picks. However, the Chiefs always drafted well, so we knew he wouldn't be a complete dud. His professionalism and work ethic are evident and a refreshing change from Grigson. 

People were upset about the lack of Free Agency involvement, but Ballard had a plan and stuck to it. Signing a free agent means a young guy isn't going to get PT. The only position that we have that I feel we should've signed someone is WR. And Deon Cain going down hurt big time. Outside of that, Ballard didn't sign anyone, knowing he wanted young guys to get PT and experience. Does it cost a few wins now? Sure. But getting those young guys PT now, is going to pay dividends in the future.

Ballard's first draft was iffy, but he struck gold on this draft. Nelson is good, Leonard is a star, Smith may be even better than Nelson, Turay has shown flashes, Wilkins and Hines look like excellent combo backs, etc.

We are one good draft away from being on top in the South. Get one or two good WRs, a DB, a DT and we are solid.

Love the last two wins, but I also am tempering my enthusiasm.

The Colts beat a bad Buffalo team who was playing a quarterback they hired off the streets 2 weeks prior.

They beat a (now) 1-6 Oakland team that has traded away one of the best defensive players in the league and their #1 wideout.

Glad the Colts have shown improvement. Glad that Luck is back to full health. Want to see this kind of outcome vs. a quality opponent.

6 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Love the last two wins, but I also am tempering my enthusiasm.

The Colts beat a bad Buffalo team who was playing a quarterback they hired off the streets 2 weeks prior.

They beat a (now) 1-6 Oakland team that has traded away one of the best defensive players in the league and their #1 wideout.

Glad the Colts have shown improvement. Glad that Luck is back to full health. Want to see this kind of outcome vs. a quality opponent.

This pretty much sums up the way I feel. Happy for the 2 wins, but let's see how they do against better teams.

Believe me when I say I've fallen fools gold before.....

Just a general observation. Don't remember a team getting a bye and having 3 straight home games ever. Colts don't hit the road until December 2nd and with exception of at Tennessee to finish season up all of their games are either indoors or in warm climates. All done with cold for the year and it just turned to November. Just seemed a little odd.

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a general observation. Don't remember a team getting a bye and having 3 straight home games ever. Colts don't hit the road until December 2nd and with exception of at Tennessee to finish season up all of their games are either indoors or in warm climates. All done with cold for the year and it just turned to November. Just seemed a little odd.

I had to look that up....yeah, it is odd.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Torn achilles apparently for Dez Bryant on last play of practice today. Him and Earl Thomas earlier this year....Leveon Bell has to consider not playing even more now. 

Hate to see anyone get hurt but Dez just needs to retire. He can’t get separation anymore and New Orleans was really reaching on that signing.

15 hours ago, rico said:

Colts hang on.  That tie is gonna bite them in the behind.

Maybe on the short term (this season) but long term that type of move sets a foundation and mindset of coaching staff that resonates with players. I look at the Colts schedule and I don't see a game left they can't win. I think we've discussed before on this thread but Ballard's ability to draft, healthy Luck, aggressive and progressive coaching staff.....good times for the Colts coming for years.

Archived