2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

In next years draft it has to be very heavily defense oriented because they have very few defensive playmakers.  On offense they are pretty set except for another big time receiver so they need to draft pretty much all defense.

Most mock drafts I see have the 'Shoes going defense.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe on the short term (this season) but long term that type of move sets a foundation and mindset of coaching staff that resonates with players. I look at the Colts schedule and I don't see a game left they can't win. I think we've discussed before on this thread but Ballard's ability to draft, healthy Luck, aggressive and progressive coaching staff.....good times for the Colts coming for years.

I agree with all of this above.  The foundation is set, winning the battles at the line of scrimmage is key and Ballard emphasized this from day 1.  The tie will hurt them this year but moving forward it shows aggressiveness(next year maybe they don't try this if they are the division leader who knows).  Assuming their draft picks from this season continue to improve, you bring in some quality veteran free agents, this teams outlook is looking straight up. 

IMO for next offseason free agency I would add another quality O-line man(RG, competition makes everyone better), WR(Inman intrigues me so bring him back cheap, Cain will be back(slow at first after injury) and maybe Fountain makes a leap) so I would be fine with Hilton/Inman/FA/Cain/Fountain next season as my top 5 WR's, D-Line as in middle guys, and another LB to go along with Leonard and Walker.  They have so much money, I would think you could get an above average RG/WR/DL/LB and still have a good chunk of change remaining. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe on the short term (this season) but long term that type of move sets a foundation and mindset of coaching staff that resonates with players. I look at the Colts schedule and I don't see a game left they can't win. I think we've discussed before on this thread but Ballard's ability to draft, healthy Luck, aggressive and progressive coaching staff.....good times for the Colts coming for years.

Agree with everything except the first point. 

The decision to go for it was a reckless, statistically improbable move that was more likely to hurt us than help us. I hope that isn't the culture we are building. 

I am all for being aggressive, but stupid football isn't winning football. 

If IU had a contested three for the win or a wide open layup to tie it, which shot do you prefer?

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The decision to go for it was a reckless, statistically improbable move that was more likely to hurt us than help us. I hope that isn't the culture we are building. 

If IU had a contested three for the win or a wide open layup to tie it, which shot do you prefer?

The 'Shoes sit at 4-5......where they should be 4-4-1.  I agree KoB....nice post.

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree.

Nothing is worse than a tie.

Except a loss and a loss that should not have happened is worse than that.

2 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

Agree.

Nothing is worse than a tie.

Except a loss and a loss that should not have happened is worse than that.

Exactly. And the thing that doesn't get talked about enough is the best we can do against the Texans now is the the season series. 

Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war. 

15 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Not sure I follow, can you elaborate?

It was an incredibly stupid decision. Love Reich, but it was stupid. We do not want or need a culture of stupidity. 

I don't know of anyone who has ever played the game or been in a locker room, on the field, on the court.....who can't appreciate or understand what it means when a coach makes that decision. I can't elaborate much more. 

I don't know of anyone who has ever played the game or been in a locker room, on the field, on the court.....who can't appreciate or understand what it means when a coach makes that decision. I can't elaborate much more. 

I know a lot of people who played football that thought it was a terrible move. Aside from Colts fans, I've actually not seen a single person think it was a good move. I'm sure you can link something that shows me wrong because it was so ridiculed in the sports world that someone with a differing opinion would've published something. 

I am genuinely trying to understand the point of view that it was a good move, but all I have yet to see anyone defending it actually explain why it was a good move. I've seen a lot of things about mindset, etc. that are incredibly weak explanations. The "aggressive" mindset would probably make sense if it was 4th and short or if we were about 10 yards further up the field... but we weren't. We were at our own 43-yard line and it was 4th and medium. Even if we converted that statistically unlikely 4th down, we still need to gain 20 yards with no timeouts in 20 seconds to win. Further, it was a division game where we could have actually won the season series had we made the decision the numbers supported and now we cannot win, we can only tie. 

If you think that was a good idea, where is your line for when going for it would be dumb? Same situation but 4th and 8, do you go for it? 4th and 20? At some point, you have to realize that you may not want to tie, but a tie is a lot better than a loss. I am genuinely curious where your line is that you'd admit a tie is a preferable outcome? 

I love ya bro...enjoy reading your posts.

But the NFL is a different animal.  You get 16 games to get your team into the play-offs.  I love Reich, but that was a very bad decision.  Gutsy?  Yes.  But bad for the season outcome.  TBH.........looking at what some of decisions have been.  The Colts should be sitting at 5-3-1.  In my mind, he blew that season opener.

10 minutes ago, rico said:

But the NFL is a different animal.  You get 16 games to get your team into the play-offs.  I love Reich, but that was a very bad decision.  Gutsy?  Yes.  But bad for the season outcome.  TBH.........looking at what some of decisions have been.  The Colts should be sitting at 5-3-1.  In my mind, he blew that season opener.

they should have won against the Bengals but A Doyel fumble inside the 20.  They got stopped inside the 10 at Philly and should have won that game.

Not even a Colts fan but I'll offer this and move on. Colts had 1 timeout left. If Rogers catches the ball they could have spiked the ball at the 50 or use last timeout. 24 seconds to gain what?? 10 yards and give the greatest kicker in NFL history a chance at a 57 yarder? I have no statistical data or anything else to offer up for the analytics guys. What I do know is Colts were moving the ball at will all 2nd half. 4 yards and a chance to win?  Yep. Even playing revisionist history I still applaud the move. So did the players.

Who knows....are the Colts 4-5 now and playing some of the best football they've played in years because of aggressive moves? Maybe. Like many things it's subjective. I applaud the move. Others don't. Oh well.

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Coaching could have been better in game one, however Colts would have won that game if Doyle does not fumble.  They were marching down the field at ease and I would say a 99% chance they score and win. 

The decision to go for the win IMO is based off of Chris Ballards philosophy "bend but don't break" mentality.     

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

they should have won against the Bengals but A Doyel fumble inside the 20.  They got stopped inside the 10 at Philly and should have won that game.

No, they went for a long FG early in the third is what I am talking about.  Up until that point Indy was dominating.  Missed FG, switched the field and the Bengals caught fire.  Funny how people remember the end of the game, but forget the things that led to the outcome.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

No, they went for a long FG early in the third is what I am talking about.  Up until that point Indy was dominating.  Missed FG, switched the field and the Bengals caught fire.  Funny how people remember the end of the game, but forget the things that led to the outcome.

True but going for a field goal with a great kicker(before his groin was bothering him) that typically hits them on a consistent basis was a good call.  In any NFL game, a missed field goal with good field position for the opposing team is going to get them motivated.  But I would think making a big stop on 4th down by Cincy and not giving the Colts an opportunity to kick the field goal or go for a TD in the third makes them more fired up as a entire unit then a missed field goal(unless they block the field goal attempt). 

Archived