More help is on the way-Part 3-for Mike Davis at Detroit Mercy !

😀All but 3 scholarship players either transferred to other schools (From Detroit Mercy after coach Alexander was fired ) except for one player who signed with an  agent and went undrafted  !!  Ole Mike will have  8 New players he has recruited :: including 4 Juco Transfers , 3 Freshmen [ one of which is a 6'9"  forward/center from The Republic of Georgia]  and his own son , Antoine Davis !! Detroit Mercy is gonna be begging for MERCY this season , VBG  !!!!

17 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Yes - they won’t be that good this year. Give him and his staff another year or 2 and he’ll have them in NCAA tournament consistently like at Texas Southern 

Mike was decent at UAB as well.

3 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

If he was ok at UAB , WHY DID UAB FIRE HIM ???

From Wiki.....

On April 7, 2006, Mike Davis was hired as the new head coach of the UAB Blazers.[4] Davis replaced Mike Anderson, who left UAB after a successful stint to become the head coach at Missouri. The Blazers finished 15–16 in Davis' first season at the helm, earning a 9th seed in the Conference USA tournament and losing to 8th seed Marshall 53–52 in the first round. UAB subsequently failed to qualify for the NCAA men's basketball tournament, ending the Blazers' three-year streak of appearances in the NCAA post-season and causing some to question whether Davis was the right man for the job.[7]

Despite several injuries and academic casualties in Davis's second year at UAB, Davis led the Blazers to a 22–9 regular season record and a 2nd-place finish in Conference USA. The Blazers narrowly missed making the NCAA men's basketball tournament and instead were rewarded with an appearance in the NIT.

On April 24, 2007, the University Board of Trustees rewarded Coach Davis with a 2-year contract extension. The extended contract ran through and the 2012–13 season featured a base salary that was increased to $625,000 from $600,000 annually. He was also eligible for increased incentives, including $35,000 for taking UAB to the NCAA Tournament, $75,000 each for a Sweet 16 appearance and a Final Four appearance and $100,000 for appearing in the national championship game. The buyout clause in the contract was increased from $500,000 to $625,000. This contract is fully guaranteed. On March 16, 2012, after a 15–16 record (9–7 in Conference USA) Davis was fired as the head basketball coach at UAB due to "poor ticket sales and attendance" as well as waning fan support and a history of disappointing performances in postseason action. "

Davis, in 6 seasons, was 122-73 at UAB.  In 6 seasons at IU he was 115-79.  Davis is a decent coach.

Among the basketball coaches that IU has fired through the years, there are two who I have never heard say a bad word about IU.  There is one who hasn't said anything about being fired from IU.... most likely because it was part of his buyout. I know you know the two who have yet to say anything bad about IU.   And then there is one.... well, you know who, and what he has had to say about IU over the years, since being fired by IU.  

And I agree with Rico.  Davis has grown into being a decent coach since IU. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Among the basketball coaches that IU has fired through the years, there are two who I have never heard say a bad word about IU.  There is one who hasn't said anything about being fired from IU.... most likely because it was part of his buyout. I know you know the two who have yet to say anything bad about IU.   And then there is one.... well, you know who, and what he has had to say about IU over the years, since being fired by IU.  

And I agree with Rico.  Davis has grown into being a decent coach since IU. 

Davis was decent at IU........his success came to fast.  Then he couldn't sustain it.  Just like Crean, I wish him the best.  If for anything taking over a bad situation.

8 hours ago, rico said:

Davis was decent at IU........his success came to fast.  Then he couldn't sustain it.  Just like Crean, I wish him the best.  If for anything taking over a bad situation.

Mike Davis allowed me each year to bring my varsirty team over to a closed practice let us hang out in lockerroom etc. All the guys signed posters for my players.  Mike is an above average coach but a very very good man.  My minister was the Chaplin for the team under Mike Davis and if Tom Rust thinks that highly of Coach Davis thats good enough for me.

53 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Mike Davis allowed me each year to bring my varsirty team over to a closed practice let us hang out in lockerroom etc. All the guys signed posters for my players.  Mike is an above average coach but a very very good man.  My minister was the Chaplin for the team under Mike Davis and if Tom Rust thinks that highly of Coach Davis thats good enough for me.

Don't think I've told this story about coach Davis, but my son went to his basketball camp one summer. We are from Mississippi and some of you probably remember that Davis, from Alabama, was close friends with the Ole Miss coach. When he learned my son was from Mississippi, he called the Ole Miss  coach on his cell phone right in front of my son and put my son on the phone with him. Class act by a good man.

8 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Don't think I've told this story about coach Davis, but my son went to his basketball camp one summer. We are from Mississippi and some of you probably remember that Davis, from Alabama, was close friends with the Ole Miss coach. When he learned my son was from Mississippi, he called the Ole Miss  coach on his cell phone right in front of my son and put my son on the phone with him. Class act by a good man.

Love that story. We tend to only worry about the record of a coach and not so much the person themself. I enjoy hearing those personal memories and stories of the men who have coached our beloved Hoosiers. I will never utter a bad word about Davis or Crean. I have many great personal Coach Knight stories.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Are you in Columbus or is Tom "travelling?" He's a good man.

I have nothing against Mike Davis.  He's probably a great person.  But it is an absolute travesty that someone with his qualifications was ever given the IU job and in 2001 when he was made permanent he wasn't anywhere near the coach he is today.  Our administration has made many blunders these past 18 years but this is by far the biggest.  That move set us back 2 decades, maybe forever.  It should've been an absolute no brainer to do what Louisville did this past season and hire a real coach.  That would've been Alford in 2001 who was considered the next big thing and the one person who might have brought together what was possibly the most divided fan base in college basketball history.  Thanks Cora Breckenridge!

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I have nothing against Mike Davis.  He's probably a great person.  But it is an absolute travesty that someone with his qualifications was ever given the IU job and in 2001 when he was made permanent he wasn't anywhere near the coach he is today.  Our administration has made many blunders these past 18 years but this is by far the biggest.  That move set us back 2 decades, maybe forever.  It should've been an absolute no brainer to do what Louisville did this past season and hire a real coach.  That would've been Alford in 2001 who was considered the next big thing and the one person who might have brought together what was possibly the most divided fan base in college basketball history.  Thanks Cora Breckenridge!

They should have at least fired him after losing in the NIT to Vandy and hired Matta.  At the time Pitino left Boston I wanted him here but thank goodness that did not happen.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

You had two different administrations at the time to thank for two consecutive coaching failures at IU.  One who had just gotten rid of an Icon, and the other who felt the need to replace Davis with a minority, despite pending sanctions from the NCAA. Personally, I can't hold the hiring of Davis as a blunder over the hiring of Sampson. Both were bad, each in their own ways.   I can't hold either coach at fault for taking the job when offered. Who would not have jumped at the opportunity to coach IUBB ? And I am not talking about Tom Crean. Tom Crean was able to stop the bleeding, much to his credit. Yet, the job to bring IU all the way back to glory days, proved too much for the man.   However, I DO hold the Presidents , at the time  of two of the hires, culpable, for allowing the job to be offered to both undeserving individuals due to their separate individual agendas, which had little to to with winning basketball, the cause for IU's decline from glory.... which we are still trying to get out of.

Thank goodness we now seem to have a President who's agenda is not driven by personal agenda's, but rather  seeing what is best for  IUBB in succeeding, and re-establishing the glory we once knew and appreciated.... winning basketball.... and doing it the right way. 

I will admit my memory is a little lacking due to surgery.  But I remember Dane Fife basically saying that if Davis or Treloar wasn't named the HC then IU wouldn't have a team.  And from my vantage point, Davis had 4 decent seasons here.  A title game, not only in the NCAA but the BTT as well.  He took over in a bad situation and succeeded at it.  I am not a Davis fan but the guy is a winner.  

34 minutes ago, rico said:

I will admit my memory is a little lacking due to surgery.  But I remember Dane Fife basically saying that if Davis or Treloar wasn't named the HC then IU wouldn't have a team.  And from my vantage point, Davis had 4 decent seasons here.  A title game, not only in the NCAA but the BTT as well.  He took over in a bad situation and succeeded at it.  I am not a Davis fan but the guy is a winner.  

This is correct. I believe the team wanted Davis as the HC. Davis is a massive upgrade for Detroit over Bacari Alexander and I hope in short time they give UM a run for their money in their annual games.  Also, give Davis credit where credit is due - the man consistently had Texas Southern playing the toughest non-conference schedule in the country. They would go like 2-11 in non-conference and then 17-1 in the SWAC - their non conference prepared them for conference play. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

This is correct. I believe the team wanted Davis as the HC. Davis is a massive upgrade for Detroit over Bacari Alexander and I hope in short time they give UM a run for their money in their annual games.  Also, give Davis credit where credit is due - the man consistently had Texas Southern playing the toughest non-conference schedule in the country. They would go like 2-11 in non-conference and then 17-1 in the SWAC - their non conference prepared them for conference play. 

IIRC, Davis scheduled tough ooc games while he was here.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Yep.  A number of players were insistent that Davis be hired (it seemed that Treloar basically deferred), and Fife was the most outspoken about it.  At the time I thought it would be a terribly irresponsible to a) let the players determine the coach who might be there well beyond their careers, and b) not do a thorough search to come up with the most qualified person for the job (particularly with two 'green' assistants with very little experience).  Then throw in Kent Benson taking the mic at senior night and pimping for Davis.

The result of such terrible management/leadership/decision making were (predictably) catastrophic and enduring.

2 hours ago, rico said:

IIRC, Davis scheduled tough ooc games while he was here.

Yes he did. I remember the 2004-2005 season where we had the toughest non conference schedule in the country....UNC, UK(neutral), ND, @UCONN, @ Mizzou (with kareem rush, quinn snyder etc...) IIRC this was the year of the recruiting class that included VADED, WHITE, RATLIFF, HARDY and JOSH SMITH who as we all know went straight to the NBA

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Knight was fired right when the season was about to start. Of course Davis should've been given the interim job for 1 season and then immediately fired after the Kent St debacle.  Again, much like Louisville just did.

Hmmmmm, then he followed that up with a run to the title game.  Pretty damn good in my book  As a matter of fact, IMO, he did a stellar job taking over for a legend.

Archived