More help is on the way-Part 3-for Mike Davis at Detroit Mercy !

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Knight was fired right when the season was about to start. Of course Davis should've been given the interim job for 1 season and then immediately fired after the Kent St debacle.  Again, much like Louisville just did.

Did i miss Louisville making it to the title game. Like Davis or not IU has not sniffed a Final 4 since then.  

I know that he did it with Knight's team but many other coaches have never been there with their team or the previous coaches team

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Did i miss Louisville making it to the title game. Like Davis or not IU has not sniffed a Final 4 since then.  

I know that he did it with Knight's team but many other coaches have never been there with their team or the previous coaches team

We did not make the title game in his interim season.  We lost to lowly Kent St.

4 hours ago, rico said:

Hmmmmm, then he followed that up with a run to the title game.  Pretty damn good in my book  As a matter of fact, IMO, he did a stellar job taking over for a legend.

I have never seen a fan base like ours who would say that going to the championship game as a bad thing.

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have never seen a fan base like ours who would say that going to the championship game as a bad thing.

Love ya Scott. I really do. However, I have to say, that despite making it to the championship game, I was truly disappointed in the fact that IU lost a championship game for the first time.  For me, I would have rather wished we had not made it to the championship game, rather than than being the only D-1 school to make it that far without a loss. 

I like Davis. I love you, as I just said.  But.... and you can take exception to my thoughts on losing a championship game. It's something I have thought about for years. In the fact that the rest of the country no longer saw us as invincible.  In the fact that we lost that game. The only time in our history.... I personally consider it a bad thing. 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Love ya Scott. I really do. However, I have to say, that despite making it to the championship game, I was truly disappointed in the fact that IU lost a championship game for the first time.  For me, I would have rather wished we had not made it to the championship game, rather than than being the only D-1 school to make it that far without a loss. 

I like Davis. I love you, as I just said.  But.... and you can take exception to my thoughts on losing a championship game. It's something I have thought about for years. In the fact that the rest of the country no longer saw us as invincible.  In the fact that we lost that game. The only time in our history.... I personally consider it a bad thing. 

That was not my point but some people said making that championship game was a bad thing for the program since it kept Davis here longer.  To me it is never a bad thing to have your program in the championship game.  I hate losing any game but making it that far is far better than losing in the first game or not make the tournament at all.

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

We did not make the title game in his interim season.  We lost to lowly Kent St.

That same lowly Kent St. that we played in the Regional Finals the very next year?  Lowly my ass, that team was pretty dang good.

42 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Don't understand that logic.

13 minutes ago, rico said:

That same lowly Kent St. that we played in the Regional Finals the very next year?  Lowly my ass, that team was pretty dang good.

We had a front line of Haston, JJ, Newton, Odle, and Leach.  Coverdale, Fife, Hornsby, and Moye in the backcourt.  Absolutely no excuse to lose that game.  You don't give a guy like Mike Davis a top 5 job under any circumstances.  Again, see Louisville.  Trust me, none of the other blue bloods would have ever made that mistake.

44 minutes ago, rico said:

UVA?  Kind of funny.  They are linked to arguably the 2 greatest upsets in CBB history.  This past year,  and Chaminade.

It wasn’t like they just got beat on a Bryce Drew buzzer beater either. They absolutely got exposed and shredded. It doesn’t matter what they do this year they will have that hanging over them like a dark cloud. 

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

That was not my point but some people said making that championship game was a bad thing for the program since it kept Davis here longer.  To me it is never a bad thing to have your program in the championship game.  I hate losing any game but making it that far is far better than losing in the first game or not make the tournament at all.

Well, Davis really did not capitalize on making the championship game for a school already with five banners. Sure he went to the NCAA the next year. But followed that up with two mediocre years.... not making it to the NCAA in either year. 

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Well, Davis really did not capitalize on making the championship game for a school already with five banners. Sure he went to the NCAA the next year. But followed that up with two mediocre years.... not making it to the NCAA in either year. 

And his last year?

4 hours ago, rico said:

And his last year?

His final year got him fired.  Despite making it to the NCAA, losing by ten points in the second round to Gonzaga. By then, the writing was on the wall.It was a culmination of not being able to take advantage of a surprising run to the championship game in 2002, and not really following up on it with consecutive NCAAT appearances... unlike the coach he lost to in his final year.  It had become apparent, by that time, that Davis, despite the fact that I think he has come along since IU, was not the guy that would take us all the way.

18 hours ago, milehiiu said:

His final year got him fired.  Despite making it to the NCAA, losing by ten points in the second round to Gonzaga. By then, the writing was on the wall.It was a culmination of not being able to take advantage of a surprising run to the championship game in 2002, and not really following up on it with consecutive NCAAT appearances... unlike the coach he lost to in his final year.  It had become apparent, by that time, that Davis, despite the fact that I think he has come along since IU, was not the guy that would take us all the way.

Blame Bracey Wright for a lot of that.

Archived