Is the NonCon Schedule Improving?

I would like to see one more premier game to add to the schedule. The issue becomes though if other B1G teams don't schedule strong then when we beat them we don't get much credit. To me the conference should force teams to schedule a minimum level...or at least enter into another challenge...maybe with Big 12 or PAC 10. I think that is the main thing I took away. Even if you schedule well if your fellow conference opponents do not your league won't get the credit it needs.

I think we have the right amount of top teams on the schedule.  We have to have so many home games to help pay the bills and if we schedule to may top programs we wont have many home games.  We have to have so many games against teams that doesn't expect a return game at their home court.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I was reading, just yesterday, that this season's non conference schedule, has just one team with a 300 or higher RPI.  To, me that is a marked improvement.

The problem there is with the data.  Last year's RPI is old news and doesn't consider what the teams look like for 2018-19.  If you trust Torvik, which I think is at least reasonable, then there are 3 +300 teams.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Is there much difference in the KenPom from 2018 that what was listed.  If you're going to do a comparison, you should at least use the same data sets.

You really can't use the same data right now because KenPom doesn't look forward to the 2018-19 season for things like roster turnover.  KenPom and Torvik are very similar models, and you can see that if you compare their 2018 rankings, but if you want a more accurate look at 2018-19, you have to use Torvik.

11 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

You really can't use the same data right now because KenPom doesn't look forward to the 2018-19 season for things like roster turnover.  KenPom and Torvik are very similar models, and you can see that if you compare their 2018 rankings, but if you want a more accurate look at 2018-19, you have to use Torvik.

understood, just don't like using a different model for the numbers, makes the comparison not true

3 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

The problem there is with the data.  Last year's RPI is old news and doesn't consider what the teams look like for 2018-19.  If you trust Torvik, which I think is at least reasonable, then there are 3 +300 teams.

Oh, I wasn't taking exception with your stats.  Rather reporting that two other reputable IU sites, incorrectly  were extolling the fact that IU had one ( not two, as Brass Canon correctly pointed out) teams with an RPI of over 300 on the schedule this season. Still, I feel that is an improvement.

You are a great friend. Yet relatively new to HSN. Not to know that for years, I have advocated that last years stats should not be a predicate as to evaluate a new season.  Ken Pomeroy, as great as he is.... does acknowledge that his early season stats do not hold much value.... as early on.... his stats are based on the previous season.

TDH... you know I respect all that you do. And appreciate all that you share on HSN.  I just felt the need to make that clear.  In my book you and your site have risen to the CREAM of the crop.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Oh, I wasn't taking exception with your stats.  Rather reporting that two other reputable IU sites, incorrectly  were extolling the fact that IU had one ( not two, as Brass Canon correctly pointed out) teams with an RPI of over 300 on the schedule this season. Still, I feel that is an improvement.

You are a great friend. Yet relatively new to HSN. Not to know that for years, I have advocated that last years stats should not be a predicate as to evaluate a new season.  Ken Pomeroy, as great as he is.... does acknowledge that his early season stats do not hold much value.... as early on.... his stats are based on the previous season.

TDH... you know I respect all that you do. And appreciate all that you share on HSN.  I just felt the need to make that clear.  In my book you and your site have risen to the CREAM of the crop.

I knew you weren't taking exception, I just wanted to highlight how I was taking exception with some of the other reporting.  I'm glad that your great mind, and my mind, think alike.  As always I appreciate your kind words.

3 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I knew you weren't taking exception, I just wanted to highlight how I was taking exception with some of the other reporting.  I'm glad that your great mind, and my mind, think alike.  As always I appreciate your kind words.

:)

9 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Eastern Washington? Then Crean talked about how good they were and how they would win their league. 

To be fair, they were pretty good that year. Tied for first in the Big Sky during the regular season, then won the Big Sky conference tourney and made the NCAA tourney.  But that didn’t make it any easier to swallow, lol

On 8/16/2018 at 12:51 PM, dgambill said:

I would like to see one more premier game to add to the schedule. The issue becomes though if other B1G teams don't schedule strong then when we beat them we don't get much credit. To me the conference should force teams to schedule a minimum level...or at least enter into another challenge...maybe with Big 12 or PAC 10. I think that is the main thing I took away. Even if you schedule well if your fellow conference opponents do not your league won't get the credit it needs.

I just want them to resume playing Kentucky at any cost to tourney chances.

59 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Maybe the B1G-SEC challenge can be arranged...

I'd be fine with that once more of their conference shows some sustained life top to bottom in basketball. The B1G hasn't exactly been taking the world by storm either, so maybe that's bias against the SEC talking.I'd watch regardless because I watch IU , but I mean from actual desire to see it .Give me IU-UK. a couple of intra-state match-ups and leave the Crossroads to take the show to more locations in various yearly tourneys. Leave the rest. Someone suggested as much once, and I liked it! 

Would you be okay with them  ensnared in another obligation game that wouldn't guarantee Kentucky as often as many who wish to see them resume might prefer?

That would be my only qualm against B1G-SEC. Not that Crean bringing Georgia in wouldn't be enticing in it's own way to some. I think someone on a previous thread had asked if anyone would really want Crean to have a shot at bragging rights over IU and Archie ?  At least ,  I think that was how it was worded in another B1G vs _______ challenge related conversation. I'm indifferent to that match up, personally and the idea of of on going meetings with any SEC team but UK doesn't move me emotionally in the slightest way , but that's just me.  

Now if it were football I'd be all in for an annual regular season OOC B1G vs SEC clash every year as long as they did the logistics right, and used some late season games in the Midwest. Another sport, thread and  day.   Sorry not trying to derail here. 

2 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

I recall a few years when IU played Kentucky in football, as well as basketball.  Felt it was a natural rivalry.  Kind of like the border war between Illinois and Missouri.  And years back when Colorado played Nebraska on Labor Day weekend.  If it can't be re-established for basketball.... then, let's get going again for football. 

18 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

To me it would be easier to arrange that game...but even if it was a different champions classic where say IU/Ohio St. play UK/LOU. and rotate. It could be held at alternating arena's (YUM/LUCAS) or something...at the very least get us started playing again. But I agree....UK has plenty of powerhouses scheduled...but we would sure benefit from another one imo. I just miss the game. If you love basketball and competition that was a game to watch.

Archived