2018 recruiting

BobSaccamanno

Looking over our list of commits, I like where we are at OT with Rafferty joining a pretty nice group already here like Cronk, Caleb Jones, maybe Knight and some guys like Stover and someday Britt Beery.  I like the young RB who will be a big addition.  I think we have a number of nice defensive line prospects coming in and others already around. I also like the kicker we got.  

In view of all that and our current roster, I was thinking about positions I'd like to see us fill.

1.  Linebacker.  We lose Scales and Covington so this is a position that needs a major influx of talent. We got a kid in Burnham last year but who knows what he can bring.  Mike McGinnis is around, maybe Kiante Walton.  It looks like a huge concern at the moment.  I like the D line and there's some secondary help coming but I don't know what you plan at LB unless you bring Ball down with Fitzgerald and let Fields, Crawford, and Burgess play safety with Khalil Bryant as backup. 

2.  Interior O line.  We have a lot of young guys but you have to wonder if many of them are really any good.  It's probably the weakest part of the team.

3.  I'd get a QB in every class.  Last I heard we were looking at some dual threat athletes.   

4.  Wide receiver.  We have some young talent here but this is a position that needs the next generation of guys to come up and be impact guys. Cobbs won't be here forever.  I like Philyor.  Westbrook will be coming off a knee.  Jonah Morris hasn't been a factor.  It'd be nice to get an impact guy here.  

Agreed on this. Linebacker wise there are some unknowns but there are a few young guys that could step up as you mentioned with Burnam. Coach Allen's son is here as well but who knows what he can bring. QB wise we do have Reese Taylor committed who is listed as an athlete but plays quarterback for Ben Davis but I think they want him as a WR. I do like Taysir Mack and Whop as well. I think offensive line needs to be a huge priority on the interior, as I think we're pretty set on tackles for the next few years (hopefully)

11 minutes ago, flyer1985 said:

Agreed on this. Linebacker wise there are some unknowns but there are a few young guys that could step up as you mentioned with Burnam. Coach Allen's son is here as well but who knows what he can bring. QB wise we do have Reese Taylor committed who is listed as an athlete but plays quarterback for Ben Davis but I think they want him as a WR. I do like Taysir Mack and Whop as well. I think offensive line needs to be a huge priority on the interior, as I think we're pretty set on tackles for the next few years (hopefully)

I don't think Taylor will play QB for us, too undersized and Ramsey looks to be the future.

Good question.  One of the nuts and bolts guys could answer better than me, but we play with 4 defensive linemen and two traditional linebackers.  Then there is a third hybrid LB/S.  I see our LB as more of traditional backers. So, I’d imagine Norris being a defensive end.  I saw him listed as a top 25 end nationally. But at 200 lbs he’s got a ways to go.  If he redshirts and can get to 235 lb as a redshirt freshman maybe he can end up as a situational rusher initially.  

But, it can be difficult to project a high school kid as he grows into a college sized kid.  As an example, I never would have guessed that Jacob Robinson would become a defensive TACKLE.  But he got huge and I imagine he’s at tackle because he didn’t have the speed and agility needed at end anymore as he got so big. He came out of high school at like 230 lbs as a hybrid DE/OLB.

On 10/1/2017 at 1:11 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

I thought I saw somewhere that Reese Taylor was ticketed for corner but I may be mistaken. 

New update on Taylor, 247 posted an article that CTA wants him to come in as a QB. Kids been lighting it up this year, I'd like to see his throws, but he is a dynamic athlete

• 2 months later...

Archived