NCAA Replacing RPI with NET

"In addition, a cap of 10 points was applied to the winning margin to prevent rankings from encouraging unsportsmanlike play, such as needlessly running up the score in a game where the outcome was certain."

That is an excellent idea.  I'll reserve judgment on the system as a whole, but that is a real improvement to the system.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

"In addition, a cap of 10 points was applied to the winning margin to prevent rankings from encouraging unsportsmanlike play, such as needlessly running up the score in a game where the outcome was certain."

That is an excellent idea.  I'll reserve judgment on the system as a whole, but that is a real improvement to the system.

Why I agree a cap was needed feel like 10 points is too low. Highly competive games can end with almost a 10 point differential with the fouling method. 

Hate to see a team penalized for doing whatever they could to try and win. 

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Why I agree a cap was needed feel like 10 points is too low. Highly competive games can end with almost a 10 point differential with the fouling method. 

Maybe.  No reason you can't stay above that margin if a coach thinks it's necessary, but I like the idea of incenting coaches to take their foot off the gas a little earlier and maybe get the starters out to avoid unnecessary injuries.

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah I hear what you mean. So are they saying a win of 10 pts is looked at the same as 20 pts? On the flip side if you lose by 10 that is no different than if you lose by 20? If that is the case then the margin of 10 seems very small. For example the loss to Duke last year would basically show the same result as a blow out?? I mean that was a 4 pt game basically the entirety until the last 2 minutes. Hmm...maybe I'm just not reading this correctly.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I hear what you mean. So are they saying a win of 10 pts is looked at the same as 20 pts? On the flip side if you lose by 10 that is no different than if you lose by 20? If that is the case then the margin of 10 seems very small. For example the loss to Duke last year would basically show the same result as a blow out?? I mean that was a 4 pt game basically the entirety until the last 2 minutes. Hmm...maybe I'm just not reading this correctly.

I tell my players anything 16pts or less is a winnable game. That's 1 more made basket each quarter and 1 extra stop each quarter. 10 seems mighty low

Archived