Top 10 All-Time IU Football Players

Great saying from that era :  "Punt, John, Punt ! " 

In my estimation there are two others from the Rose Bowl team that could make your list as well.  I will reserve comment, until you have finished your series. You are right. Hard to narrow the list to just ten. 

Here are numbers 7 and 6.

I'm sure some will suggest "recency bias" here, but I can assure you that everyone else on the list is pre-2000s.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/kickoff-countdown-the-ten-greatest-football-hoosiers-of-all-time-7/

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/kickoff-countdown-the-ten-greatest-football-hoosiers-of-all-time-6/

52 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
No. 4 on the all-time list of greatest IU football players....and you could make a strong case that he should be No. 1.

Guy was great in Cream and Crimson. No question.  I had not had so much fun watching an IU QB since Gonso, or Green.  But...  Number one ?  Not for me.  Number one for me is a guy who currently is ministering in Bloomington, and got robbed finishing second for a Heisman.  I've got to ask.....when have we ever had a guy come that close to winning a Heisman ? 

I know you have not finished your list. And I am totally enjoying it. Don't want to steal any of your thunder. Since I said I would remain quite till it was done. However, is there a number one ? Only one in my book .

His story is one that every Hoosier fan should know. As a three time All-American, he is No. 2 on our list.

Also included is the honorable mention list.  @milehiiu you can breathe easier now, as No. 1 should be clear at this point.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
His story is one that every Hoosier fan should know. As a three time All-American, he is No. 2 on our list.

Also included is the honorable mention list.  @milehiiu you can breathe easier now, as No. 1 should be clear at this point.

Great choice TDH.  And excellent write up. 

If I wondered about any changes, Trent Green, Tim Clifford, Tim Wilbur, and Harry Gonso come to mind.  The Rose Bowl factor could push Gonso up.  

If it was just my lifetime, I might include Mike Dumas.  What a stud he was.  

I am not so sure about Vaughn Dunbar.  I’d probably take Coleman over him but they are comparable to me.  Vaughn played in a rugged offense and his yards were tough yards.  You spread the field the way Coleman played, and you’re apt to get schemed to some chunk yardage.  Vaughn played straight up smash mouth.   

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If I wondered about any changes, Trent Green, Tim Clifford, Tim Wilbur, and Harry Gonso come to mind.  The Rose Bowl factor could push Gonso up.  

If it was just my lifetime, I might include Mike Dumas.  What a stud he was.  

I am not so sure about Vaughn Dunbar.  I’d probably take Coleman over him but they are comparable to me.  Vaughn played in a rugged offense and his yards were tough yards.  You spread the field the way Coleman played, and you’re apt to get schemed to some chunk yardage.  Vaughn played straight up smash mouth.   

Yep, no doubt a tough call between Dunbar and Coleman.  I struggled with that one.  What convinced me were Coleman's single season yardage record and his career 7 average per carry which just blows my mind.  Also that he did it with Diamont at QB much of the season.  Dunbar was there when I was and I loved the guy.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Was there ever even a question?  His dominance of the IU record books is incredible.

Never a question in my mind.... as I alluded to earlier.

Thanks TDH, for a great series.

Talking about running backs.... an honorable mention from my era goes to :

Terry Cole:  IU Football Running Back 

1967 Indiana Football - Terry Cole Touchdown 

Really can't question the list and I too learned about some guys before my time.

As far as guys I wouldn't have been surprised to see?  Bob mentioned Dumas.  That would be one.  And I would say that even though he was a PK, Pete Stoyanovich was a game changer.  

13 minutes ago, rico said:

Really can't question the list and I too learned about some guys before my time.

As far as guys I wouldn't have been surprised to see?  Bob mentioned Dumas.  That would be one.  And I would say that even though he was a PK, Pete Stoyanovich was a game changer.  

Pete was a great kicker.  There were times in his career when he would play two games in one day. I recall times when he would come to Memorial, and suit up for football, after playing in a soccer game.  I don't think coaches will allow that in this day and age.  Kind of like when coaches now a days frown upon guys competing in FB and BB.

Now that we are talking about kickers, I think Austin Starr was one of our better kickers, along with Pete. 

45 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Pete was a great kicker.  There were times in his career when he would play two games in one day. I recall times when he would come to Memorial, and suit up for football, after playing in a soccer game.  I don't think coaches will allow that in this day and age.  Kind of like when coaches now a days frown upon guys competing in FB and BB.

Now that we are talking about kickers, I think Austin Starr was one of our better kickers, along with Pete. 

And talking about kickers......hows about Dan Stryzinski?

Archived