IU QB Dawkins Leaves IU program

• CrossboneIU22 changed the title to IU QB Dawkings Leaves IU program
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just went over to Hoosier.com to see what they are saying and it seems like most are in melt down mode over the Dawkins news.

Good grief! Dawkins had just as much a chance as the other two. I feel he came in kind of thinking..."It's a Wrap!" I trust the decision of  CTA and his staff. Let's not forget that the entire football team voted for the QB they most trusted and supported and it was overwhelmingly Ramsey. It is was it is...Suck it up..Who's next in line? Allen was quoted in today's Indy Star article that Ramsey and Penix where is top two QBs, putting Dawkins in 3rd. Who knows,...If Reese Taylor was battling with that group originally, Reese may have been 3rd and Dawkins last! 

Hey guys. I just want to remind you that you first heard of this last week  on Hoosier Sports Nation in the "Ramsey named QB" thread.  Payday with the intel, days before any other source.  Payday could have kept this to himself, but chose our platform in which to share it.  Thanks Payday.  A milehi salute to you. 

I would be remiss in not offering a thanks to Crossbone for the link.  Thanks "C".

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Just went over to Hoosier.com to see what they are saying and it seems like most are in melt down mode over the Dawkins news.

Good grief! Dawkins had just as much a chance as the other two. I feel he came in kind of thinking..."It's a Wrap!" I trust the decision of  CTA and his staff. Let's not forget that the entire football team voted for the QB they most trusted and supported and it was overwhelmingly Ramsey. It is was it is...Suck it up..Who's next in line? Allen was quoted in today's Indy Star article that Ramsey and Penix where is top two QBs, putting Dawkins in 3rd. Who knows,...If Reese Taylor was battling with that group originally, Reese may have been 3rd and Dawkins last! 

Whats he going to say, the guy who is leaving was really the best we had? of course he is going to say the two guys left are 1 and 2. If he let the team vote on who starts at QB he needs fired today.

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Whats he going to say, the guy who is leaving was really the best we had? of course he is going to say the two guys left are 1 and 2. If he let the team vote on who starts at QB he needs fired today.

It played a part is what I had  taken away from the remarks prior to yesterday , but not that it was literally how the decision was made in exclusivity.  Again just what I had read prior and I need to check Allen's latest comments if I'm missing something .

13 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

It played a part is what I had  taken away from the remarks prior to yesterday , but not that it was literally how the decision was made in exclusivity.  Again just what I had read prior and I need to check Allen's latest comments if I'm missing something .

yes, I would hope a player vote had nothing to do with who starts.

10 minutes ago, Indykev said:

yes, I would hope a player vote had nothing to do with who starts.

Yes, I knew you were likely just venting.  Serious question Kev. Does it not make you at least a little more comfy in any way that the guy the team is most behind won out? 

Edit : I mean I liked Dawkins on film(vids, whatever) , but if another guy could just waltz in and win the job that just didn't sit right with me unless they were almost a sure fire great player. . My hopes were high too, since Tate at AZ is apparently being labeled a Heisman candidate.I did feel that meant Dawkins could still be very good, but the more word that came out about him and Peyton being neck and neck , the more concerned I got about Dawkins winning the job. If he was all that he would've buried Ramsey and Penix immediately . Tough to swallow another departure on the heels of Ellison being removed, but I like Taylor being moved to QB immediately to address depth. I'm also happy that if Ramsey doesn't give what is needed /expected that Penix will almost surely play more than 4 if he is good enough once tested with actual game snaps.  If they burn the RS it won't bother me much. I didn't want a dead weight Senior taking snaps from a likely future starter and if he had stayed he would have likely played. .So , It might be better this way since Dawkins didn't go out and outright win it. . 

8 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Yes, I knew you were likely just venting.  Serious question Kev. Does it not make you at least a little more comfy in any way that the guy the team is most behind won out? 

Edit : I mean I liked Dawkins on film(vids, whatever) , but if another guy could just waltz in and win the job that just didn't sit right with me unless they were almost a sure fire great player. . 

No. It shows me guys dont want better players coming in to create competition. They were around Ramsey for 2 seasons now and know him better. Of course a vote would turn out the way it did. Penix is the future, just give him the ball and let him learn. Better arm and is bigger and faster.

Just now, Indykev said:

No. It shows me guys dont want better players coming in to create competition. They were around Ramsey for 2 seasons now and know him better. Of course a vote would turn out the way it did. Penix is the future, just give him the ball and let him learn. Better arm and is bigger and faster.

Fair to consider for sure. In the back of my mind ,I do wonder if Allen basically let DeBord make the call on starter.. I still don't trust DeBord as OC very much.and I agree with that last part the most when it comes to Penix. 

4 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Fair to consider for sure. In the back of my mind ,I do wonder if Allen basically let DeBord make the call on starter.. I still don't trust DeBord as OC very much.and I agree with that last part the most when it comes to Penix. 

Dont get me started on DeBord. lol. He will be the main reason Allen is fired when it happens.

Just now, Indykev said:

Dont get me started on DeBord. lol. He will be the main reason Allen is fired when it happens.

Lol Yeah ,I'm trying not to yet in the name of fairness, only. 

I'm admittedly not a fan so far,  but we still don't know how it will play out when he feels confident in his offensive playmakers, blocking, and depth. I thought it was a bit more vanilla with Peyton by design. If we have indeed already saw the best of his playcalling and decisions at IU then I'll be glad to get you started on him because I'll be right with you there. Til then I had to watch a few games that Lagow played in to be reminded DeBord will open it up when a guy can sling the ball. If they can run too all the better. 

Last year there were so many new faces, guys missing time, and the system was being put in with a departing QB. There were other games that gave me hope.However most of them happened to be games Lagow played in as far as production goes.I just think IU was so depleted and beat up by midseason and after Ramsey went out hurt and Lagow returned, it made it all cloudy from there. With neither ever having had time to fully settle to the point of momentum, much less behind a lot of presumed back ups forced into time it wasn't going to happen.

That (hopefully pressure on DeBord to put something worthy of remote comparison to recent seasons) is why Penix moving to starter might not have to wait until it's too late. Last year I thought they yanked Lagow from the starting job a bit prematurely.Payday took a couple weeks to convince me, but the games didn't lie. They have to have the balls to give Peyton  , or any future QB enough time to play through adversity. It truly was a chicks__t move leaving Lagow on the sidelines after the UVA game , and I had originally gave DeBord as pass on that since Ramsey wasn't turning it over a lot.   

Still, just imagine if Ramsey hadn't got to see the field last year. Dawkins or Penix might be the guy right now,. That's why I definitely felt it makes sense for you to be miffed about Dawkins being brought in only to lose the job and leave.Same with displeasure about DeBord.I hope this wasn't the trend of a wuss running the show, and that the team vote did mean a bunch of guys who are hell bent on winning voted the guy who they want to run through walls with and for. If fear of taking risk overrides everything else, his a_ _ deserves to be canned for sure.That could very well be the undoing of Allen in the end should it materialize into failure to improve the bottom line. We'll see

I just want enough of the offense to take the field to find out one way or the other.  No more news this week will be good news if that holds until Saturday and after. . 

52 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Hes not bigger or faster though... 

Dawkins is soft. That's the reason he didn't win the competition. Ramsey is a coaches son and friggin tough kid. Hes going to have a really good year.. especially if his WR core stays healthy.. unlike last year. 

The team voted Ramsey was the best leader. Not the best QB.. that wasnt voted on.

Doesnt everyone remember how down everyone was on Lagow and wanted Ramsey to start.. now they want Penix. New shiny toy syndrome my god. These guys making the decisions are about a zillion times more qualified than all of us. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Dawkins is soft. That's the reason he didn't win the competition. Ramsey is a coaches son and friggin tough kid. Hes going to have a really good year.. especially if his WR core stays healthy.. unlike last year. 

The voted Ramsey was the best leader. Not the best QB.. that wasnt voted on.

Doesnt everyone remember how down everyone was on Lagow and wanted Ramsey to start.. now they want Penix. New shiny toy syndrome my god. These guys making the decisions are about a zillion times more qualified than all of us. 

My sentiments exactly btownqb! I also thought that maybe Dawkins rubbed people the wrong way. Maybe a little arrogant or entitled? I dont know.

Archived